Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
blueblau
blueblau began at the beginning.

Device: nook
adaptation to e-readers

Hi everyone,
I'm a hard core book reader and I love my library in my living room, you know stocking the books, having them on the shelves. I did a through research for the e-readers and on my situation nook seemed to be the best option to me. I have touched, hold, tried to read from the nook in the stores. I'm going to be on the move now from one place to another every couple of months for a year. And I loved the idea of having my books with me all the time however I was wondering whether anyone find adaptation to the readers difficult after buying and using them. When I was reading things from the nook in the store it didn't excite me as reading a normal hard or paper cover book. Any comments on this? I don't wanna buy the device and end up not using it after a couple of weeks. Can you share your experiences?
(this is my first post on this forum so I'm sorry if I posted this thread to the wrong sub-forum. I searched but this looked like the best place)
Thanks
blueblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Welcome blueblau.
I think you'll find that it's the experience of reading that will continue to excite you rather than the medium through which the words are delivered.
Personally, I found that the transition time was virtually nil. I have a difficult time reading on paper now, to tell you the truth. I get irritated with the weight of a book, the smell of the paper and the need to have something to bookmark with.
If you've done your research, found that the Nook is your preferred device and think you can make the switch, I'd say go for it. If nothing else, you can always sell it, or regift it away if it dosn't work for you. You just might (like most of us here) decide that ereading is the way to go!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I was skeptical for a long time, but I finally bit the bullet, and haven't read anything on paper since I bought my nook color. Literally, not a single book. I find I'm forgoing stuff I'd normally buy that's not available electronically, and reading something else instead.

And it sure is nice to know I've always got something else to read if I finish what I'm working on.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I always assumed that ereaders were just going to be one of those short-lived novelty type items. You know, the kind that you see in Brookstone or Sharper Image that you think "Man, that'd be cool to have, but why would I ever bother paying for it?" Fast-forward a couple years and having moved a couple times (and having to move hundreds of pounds of books each time), and that's when I really started taking more of an interest in them.

Once I got my hands on one (Nook Color first, Kindle second), I started getting absorbed by it. At first, it felt a little odd reading books on a hand-held device. But, I got over it pretty quick since I was used to reading forums and such on my phone and PSP, and it came a little more naturally than I thought. Now I find myself looking almost exclusively for ebooks, and only looking for hard-copies if I absolutely cannot find an ebook version.

The transition wasn't as difficult as I had initially thought.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Welcome, Blueblau.

You don't have to throw away your existing books, or never buy anything else on paper. Your eReader will be an additional way to read. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I know I found that after getting my reader I ended up reading even more.

I love books, but after having had an ereader now for over three years I always look for the electronic version of a book first, unless it has a high graphics content. I find it much more comfortable to read off the eInk device.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Nope, not a hard conversion. And we have probably close to 3,000 pBooks in the house. So many, they have taken over.

And while I like the feel of a book in my hand, the convenience of the ereader has converted me 100%. And my wife also.

BTW, check out the Sony Readers. The thinking users choice.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Well I am like you I love my home library downstairs however here are a few points that drew me to converting to electronic books rather than filling the shevles downstairs:

1) I love my library but the troubble was that they were getting ready to take over a whole floor of my home, it was getting to the point where I simply would not be able to walk around on that floor at all. And pretty soon after that the books were going to take over a second floor, in other words half the home and it was getting worse from their. Electronic books saved me from myself and drowning in the books, don't get me wrong I still love them its just that I do nto have the space to keep up the pace anymore.

2) I was always finishing one book in the middle of the day and having to wait until I got home to my book stash to get another one but I would always want another emeidately. Electronic books offered me the ability to store multiple books on one device and also instant gratification of being able to get hte next one in a matter of minutes rather than having to wait until I go back to my book stash.

3) Ever try read a paperback on a rainy day, I have does not work too well, and I live in a town where it rains frequently during certain times of the year and I was always running paperbacks in the rain. Try that with an electronic book, the device gets wet big deal wipe it off and keep going.

4) Cost - Many times I can get great books from Amazon and/or Barns and Nobels at deep discounted prices, I can frequently get them for $0 or $1. I have yet to figure out how to go in to a traditional bricks and morters book store and get a free book.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
I had no trouble transitioning to an ereader (the original Nook and Nook Color) and now would rather read on an ereader than pick up a paper book. I do still read paper books when I can't find a particular title in ebook form, but I don't enjoy the experience as much as I used to. Using an ereader lets me focus on the words, and I get lost in the story more easily than when I have a paper book in my hands.

Welcome to the forum!
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It took me about half a book when I first got a Sony 505 back in '07. Since then I've read maybe half a dozen paper books, I just find them uncomfortable now (which is a problem since I have a couple thousand of them still). The paper books I'd still read would be more of the reference/history variety, no straight fiction at all.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

This is somewhat off topic, but also somewhat pertinent. Last week I found myself reading a paper book for the first time in quite a while. Now when using my e-book reader I generally hold it in my right hand and use a slight motion of my right thumb to turn the pages (touch screen). My left hand is used only to provide some support for the reader under the top left corner.

When reading a paper book I hold the book in much the same way, except my left thumb is used to keep turned pages from flipping back. So anyway out of habit I found myself while reading this paperback without thinking attempting to turn the pages with a swipe of my left thumb. So often that I would frequently have to pause for a fraction of a second to be annoyed that I wasn't seeing a new page of text.

Moral you will soon learn to adapt to an e-reader, and even wonder how you ever did without.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
blueblau
blueblau began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thank you everyone for warm welcome and sharing your experiences.
It's nice to see people like me to switch to e-readers so easily.
blueblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #12
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Plus, my e-reader has never made me sneeze.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I absolutely love my ereader. I haven't picked up a book in the 1 1/2 years that I have had it.

I love being able to adjust the font, I love the weight of it, and all the books I'm able to carry around on it with tons of space to put more books!

I'm not interested in flipping pages, or smelling the damn thing, I just want to read as often as I want, where ever I want. My ereader allows me to do this.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #14
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
welcome blueblau!

about 6 months before I bought an e-reader, I put FBReader on an old laptop. I practised on that. It took a while to boot; I needed to be near power because the battery only lasted a short while; it was heavy.....
By the time I took the plunge with my kindle, it was very very nice.
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Welcome! What they said, took me a few pages and I see virtually no difference. Some things are slightly difficult. ... can't really flip through the book and read a favorite section. Many books still are not available as ebooks and if you want your existing library as ebooks then you have to re-buy them or something more difficult....

I'm sure you're going to love it!
Oh and watch out for DRM!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote