Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Choose your own adventure ...

Are there any good "Choose your own adventure..." ebooks out there? Or even just "Choose your own adventure..." type fiction freely provided in a format that doesn't explicitly hinder sensible conversion into an eBook format?

I have fond childhood memories of the "Fighting Fantasy" books by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone, and I think it might be a strangely appropriate genre for an eBook reading device.

Of course... I would not be disappointed if the writing was of a caliber not explicitly aimed at 9-12 year old audiences.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Many of the Lone Wolf books are available online at:
http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books

I loved this series as a kid and am still tracking down the dead tree versions of some that I don't have.
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsalvaggio View Post

I loved this series as a kid and am still tracking down the dead tree versions of some that I don't have.
Thanks, I'll check these out!

Was this format (genre?) only ever used for juvenile/young adult fiction?

- Ahi
Old 07-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsalvaggio View Post

Would it be possible to put those html files in an ebook, working links included? That would be great!

Although I guess all those html files would have to be compiled in a single ebook. hummm
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Would it be possible to put those html files in an ebook, working links included? That would be great!

Although I guess allthose html files would have to be compiled in a single ebook. hummm
For you, for yourself: yes.

For me, for myself: yes.

For anybody, for their very own personal selves: yes.

Any other combination, I suspect would be viewed upon as distribution and EVIL.

Or so I gather.

- Ahi
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I'm sure something could be worked out with the PA team. They even allowed some guy to port it to NDS as a game:

http://www.projectaon.org/staff/frederic/

It seems that if someone would come forward, with some knowledge to produce something with quality for an ebook format, it could be a reality:

http://www.projectaon.org/staff/david/index.php

It would just be hosted through their website, though.

Last edited by Over; 07-29-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Are there any good "Choose your own adventure..." ebooks out there?
I don't think this would be possible with most readers. Since the devices reflow and repaginate depending on the format and font size, the 'Turn to page 81' would be fairly meaningless. I wonder if someone could build one using generic TOC type links instead?

Thanks for the link to the Lone Wolf books. I remember those fondly.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:25 AM   #8
Witchbaby
Connoisseur
Witchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Was this format (genre?) only ever used for juvenile/young adult fiction?

- Ahi
A friend used to have one that was written for adults. The premise was you were going for a night on the town with your friends. At the beginning you choose your gender. I can't remember what it was called, but if I find it, I'll let you know.

Witchbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:32 AM   #9
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
The old abandonware site "Home of the Underdogs" used to host loads of choose your own adventure books. Unfortunately the site went down and they don't appear to be there any more.

You can however find torrents of the archive if you search, though I have no idea what format they were supplied in.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I'm sure something could be worked out with the PA team. They even allowed some guy to port it to NDS as a game:

http://www.projectaon.org/staff/frederic/

It seems that if someone would come forward, with some knowledge to produce something with quality for an ebook format, it could be a reality:

http://www.projectaon.org/staff/david/index.php

It would just be hosted through their website, though.
In that case, sorry for having gotten carried away.

I might just approach them about this.

- Ahi
Old 07-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #11
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo View Post
I don't think this would be possible with most readers. Since the devices reflow and repaginate depending on the format and font size, the 'Turn to page 81' would be fairly meaningless. I wonder if someone could build one using generic TOC type links instead?

Thanks for the link to the Lone Wolf books. I remember those fondly.
Yes, the pages aren't really pages but anchors and links. Entirely doable as very handsome custom-sized PDFs... and one would hope also in one or more reflow formats.

- Ahi
Old 07-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo View Post
But that's no different to "see page 81" type references, which are very common in non-fiction books. You simply replace them with hyperlinks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
acidzebra tried an experiment with such a book which you can see here. i think ebooks are actually quite well suited to such a structure, made with hyperlinks, as acidzebra's example shows. it could be quite fun to see more attempts.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #14
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Kim Newman wrote a very good adult 'choose-your-own-adventure' book called Life's Lottery.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/n/...es-lottery.htm

http://www.johnnyalucard.com/fiction.html#life
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #15
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Kim Newman wrote a very good adult 'choose-your-own-adventure' book called Life's Lottery.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/n/...es-lottery.htm

http://www.johnnyalucard.com/fiction.html#life
Thanks for that. Any good?

Would you ever pursue this sort of a project, Moejoe? I'd be greatly interested.

- Ahi