Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
tidyboyd
tidyboyd began at the beginning.

Device: none
Onyx boox i62 or Onyx boox 92M for PDF reading?

Hi just looking for some sound advice on my first ereader. After days of constant research I have finally narrowed it down to these 2 devices.

I only ever read PDF's, this is the ereaders only purpose. With that in mind I have seen very few english reviews on the i62 and with it only having a 6" screen I worry that it will be too small to read them properly. I understand the 92M should do the job just fine but its double the price so I would really like some real world feedback to distinguish whether or not the jump from 6" to 9" is really going to be the difference between being usable and non usable.

With the greatest of kindness please don't suggest tablets I am soley after an eink device. I also had a though on rooting a sony PRS-T2/T1 but thought I'd be better off with the onyx as the less hassle option. Not interested in cloud or buying books online as I have all the literature I currently need for the next 10 years!

Any suggestions, ideas or feedback you have would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Edit: Here are the links I forgot to provide

https://www.onyx-boox.com/store/onyx...touch-espresso

and

https://www.onyx-boox.com/store/onyx...92-black-pearl

Last edited by tidyboyd; 03-27-2013 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Added links
tidyboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I don't have any experience with either of these, but on general principles spend the money and get the bigger one. If all you're reading is PDF's I'm pretty sure you'll be happier with it since 6" just isn't big enough for heavy PDF reading.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
tidyboyd

Thanks for the reply Robko much appreciated, ill probably go for the larger one in that case although it does raise a question for me, why is a smaller 6inch screen too small dont the ereaders just reflow the text to a manageable size anyway?

I don't suppose you have much experience of using an ereader without the new backing backing lights like the ones on the i62 or the kindle paperwhite? Is using an external light intrusive to reading? Sometimes I'd like to read in the dark and spending 300+ euro on something that I can buy for a third of the price for me has to tick all the boxes

Last edited by tidyboyd; 03-27-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Idiocy
Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidyboyd View Post
Thanks for the reply Robko much appreciated, ill probably go for the larger one in that case although it does raise a question for me, why is a smaller 6inch screen too small dont the ereaders just reflow the text to a manageable size anyway?

I don't suppose you have much experience of using an ereader without the new backing backing lights like the ones on the i62 or the kindle paperwhite? Is using an external light intrusive to reading? Sometimes I'd like to read in the dark and spending 300+ euro on something that I can buy for a third of the price for me has to tick all the boxes
If your pdf's are not in A4 format (21 cm page width) but smaller, say about 16-17 cm, then you can read them relatively comfortably in landscape mode (12 cm on 6" readers) after removing white margins.

Removing white margins on e-ink readers (zooming completely in) is not the easiest thing to do though, especially for scanned pdf's.

If you buy Kindle then you can install kindlepdfviewer thereon and easily crop or zoom scanned pdf's.

There is kindlepdfviewer for kindle 3 keyboard and kindle dx and version for kindle 5 and Paperwhite launched a few days ago called KOReader.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209276

So if money is an issue and stylus is not indispensable to you, then you might consider buying used kindle dx and wait for some good offer of used M92/Icarus in the future.

I have read quite a few scanned pdf books on Sony Prs T1, but even though Prs T1 is usually good for zooming Pdf's in landscape mode on its own, i would often crop margins and print out pdf in landscape mode ( approx. 12x9 cm) beforehand by using apps on my laptop before transfering such formated pdf to Prs T1.

Reading textual pdf's (not scanned) even in A4 format is not problem if there is reflow capability but reflow is not always perfect for pictures or is slower, so margin cropping and landscape mode was again better solution to me for smaller formats.

We can usually nicely reflow A4 scanned or textual pdf's for 6" screens using k2pdfopt app.

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...144711&page=25

Last edited by markom; 03-28-2013 at 05:13 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Yes, reflow will likely work if your PDF's are almost all text and are NOT scanned as images (if you can select the text with Adobe Reader you're good). I don't think of reflow because the PDF's I do use wouldn't reflow well anyway.

Quote:
I did start off with a non-lit reader. With the older technology good lighting is a must (in my experience I needed more light than with a paper book). I never felt the need for a external light though (always just used a lamp) so I can't comment on that. I can say that while I bought my current reader (Kobo Glo) for reasons other than the front-light, and I didn't really figure I'd use the light, I always leave it on while reading. It just gives that extra little bit of light and evens things out and makes reading easier.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
tidyboyd

After reviewing my pdf collection it seems most are text with my physics pdfs being nearly entirely jpgs

I would really like the ivona voice on the onyx range as well because sometimes I'm lazy and I also get travel sick so listening to my book rather than getting sick reading it during journeys would be a major plus.

Is there any ivona software on any other ereader any of your guys and girls are aware of? What if I rooted any other ereader could I get the ivona voice then? I tried the acapela voices and they sounded way to robotic for my liking and from reading others reviews I got the general consensus that they were the best alternative

It's seeming like I'll have to shell out the big bucks to get something that will suit my needs as the 299E onyx 92M doesn't come with cover as standard costing around the 30E mark and its 24.99E shipping to me plus I would need a light and cover for it, its getting to the price of a decent second hand laptop here!

Can I ask why you went for a Kobo if your reading PDF's robko? The only reviews I've read on the Kobo haven't been as favorable as the kindle or the onyx range (although most of them are in Russian) How are you getting along reading jpg pdfs on your Kobo?

I know I'm clutching at invisible straws here but is there any way to get the ivona voice (or something just as good) back lighting, a larger screen and a dictionary on one single unit via any method at all? Or is there anyone on the forums that you know of that might be able to answer my difficult pain in the rear question?

To hear how good that ivona voice that I cant help keep banging on about is... if you scroll down this page a bit and hit play on Adventures of Sherlock Holmes you'll see what I mean

https://www.onyx-boox.com/store/onyx...touch-espresso

Last edited by tidyboyd; 03-28-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
tidyboyd

-----

Last edited by tidyboyd; 04-02-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No eInk device can have a backlight, for the very simple reason that an eInk screen is opaque. (That's why many of the modern eInk devices are front-lit.) If you want a backlight, you need to be looking at LCD devices.

The best PDF reader around is, IMHO, the iPad. For the price of an M92 you could get a decent 2nd-hand or reconditioned iPad.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-02-2013 at 12:16 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
tidyboyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No eInk device can have a backlight, for the very simple reason that an eInk screen is opaque. (That's why many of the modern eInk devices are front-lit.) If you want a backlight, you need to be looking at LCD devices.

The best PDF reader around is, IMHO, the iPad. For the price of an M92 you could get a decent 2nd-hand or reconditioned iPad.
Hi cheers for the suggestion although I think I used the incorrect term as backlight isn't what I really meant. I was referring to something similar to the Kindle paperwhite or the onyx i62 which I suppose aren't really backlight, theres just a light layer in between the other usual layers (link to paperwhite with diagram on those layers)

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwh...dle+paperwhite
Old 04-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I said, they are front-lights.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
tidyboyd

Ah right I though you were talking about a front light ie a lamp or a torch

I don't suppose you could help with any of the stuff on the previous massive comment I made documenting what I could really do with on an ereader? I'd really like to make the purchase asap as I have a need to read but I dont want to make a rash decision if there's something else out there that could do the job that just needs a bit of software tinkering
Old 04-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Please be more specific about which kind of PDFs you would like to read. You mentioned "physics" PDFs? I assure you, that with PDFs containing anything different from plain text (like graphics, plots, code or formulas) you will run into big problems with IVONA and similar txt2speech software.

Besides that: How important is portability for you? Do you plan on adding written or sketched annotations to your documents?

Yes, reading PDFs of any kind seems to be possible with 6 inch devices. I have seen a lot of people reading scientific documents on their Kindle and Sony PRS-T2. But I was always wondering, how they can endure this pain - they were always reading with tiny font sizes and only half a book page on screen at a time.

Reading PDFs on a 6 inch device never was an option for me. That said, I hate reading on backlit displays (LED, LCD and the like). So I bought the Boox M92 (from www.ereader-store.de - ships internationally and very good reputation in the Onyx Boox subforum). It's really expensive and you can't say the software is fully developed. The software doesn't really use the hardware's great potential. But for pure PDF reading, it's absolutely fine.

By the way, "auto crop margins" is a nice feature and works pretty well in most cases, but in some cases, it's still the best idea to crop the margins on a PC using software like Scan Tailor or BRISS.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
tidyboyd

Hi thanks for the reply. Its good to get an idea off an owner so many thanks for getting in touch

I would be mainly reading text PDF's with some (maybe 10% - 15%) in jpg format all with margins and, as I have thousands, I would really like to leave them as they are because their in hundreds of separate folders with hundreds more sub folders. To be specific I would be reading physics, permaculture, poker and other scientific papers

Roughly around 15 - 20% of the text and jpg pdfs combined have diagrams or illustrations

I would certainly be using the annotation feature and would likely make heavy use of it

I don't mind the Ivona software getting charts and diagrams wrong I can read them with no issues, it was mainly for reading large bodies of text on the move which is where I would find it really useful

Portability is important but I would carry a rucksack whenever I left the house so as long as its holdable whilst reading and not crazily heavy I cant really foresee any issues on that front

I have a couple of questions if I may,

-How are you finding the build quality physically of your onyx unit?

-What do you mean by the software isn't fully developed?

-Do crashes happen very often like I've seen on a couple of reviews?

-Why did you buy it from ereader-store.de instead of the official page where its cheaper?

I did contact ereader-store.de but I never got a reply back to my questions. Any idea how long their warranty period is?

Any help would be fantastic, thanks for your time
Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I read a lot of scientific PDFs, and I stand by the view that the iPad with the "Goodreader" app is better than any eInk reader for the job. The faster CPU and instant refresh of the screen make it far better suited to the task. Just a personal opinion, of course, but one based on a great deal of practical experience.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #15
tidyboyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I read a lot of scientific PDFs, and I stand by the view that the iPad with the "Goodreader" app is better than any eInk reader for the job. The faster CPU and instant refresh of the screen make it far better suited to the task. Just a personal opinion, of course, but one based on a great deal of practical experience.
I'm only after an ereader but I do appreciate your comments. I find my eyes failing a bit and I sit at a computer 10 hours a day with little rest bite so an ereader is the only way forward for me

Tags
ereader, onyx boox i62, onyx boox m92, pdf, sony prs-t2