Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
sajmon5544
sajmon5544 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
paper or ebook dilema

Hello,
I am new Kindle 3 user, read few books so far, mostly novels.
But now i'm about to purchase book for learning, big one (1800 pages) and i'm pretty sure there will be lots of scrolling back and forth during learning process and it may be a bit frustrating (or not?)

I want to ask if You have any thoughts on that?

sajmon.
sajmon5544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
There are some textbooks I'd like to have in ebook form, and others I'd prefer to actually have the paper book. For books that aren't laden with pictures, charts, and other visual aids...I wouldn't mind just having it all on an ereader. For other things that require massive amounts of back-and-forth or pictures, I'll stick to the paper book.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For reference books I much prefer paper, especially if there are illustrations, diagrams, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Funny you should mention that... I am getting ready to start a programing class and I am got the book from B&N for the use in nook study and I think I am also going to get an used paper copy. I think I will use the electronic version at home for homework and reading and the paper one in class since there may be a ton of page turning..
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
If you're flipping back and forth through 1800 pages to find what you want, technology won't help you.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I vote paper for this one. Any book I'm using for reference needs to be paper right now.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
sajmon5544
sajmon5544 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Okay, thanks for opinions, I guess i just purchase paper version.

One other question regarding amazon, lets say i've bought paper version, are there any discounts or something for ebook variant of the same title?

I'm pretty sure its too perfect to be truth, so give me quick "no" and let's get done with it
sajmon5544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #8
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've never heard of Amazon discounting the ebook just because you already own the paper book.

Some textbook companies include a digital version of the book in a plastic flap at the back; you might get lucky and discover that this is one of them. Unfortunately, I think a lot of textbook producers shy away from that because student piracy is so rampant.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Never !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
........... textbook producers shy away from that because student piracy is so rampant.
Surely students would never get up to that sort of thing, would they ?

Gosh, you'll be saying they stay up late and have wild parties next .........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajmon5544 View Post
One other question regarding amazon, lets say i've bought paper version, are there any discounts or something for ebook variant of the same title?

I'm pretty sure its too perfect to be truth, so give me quick "no" and let's get done with it
I don't know about Amazon, but I do know that O'Reilly (publishes technical books) usually offers a discount for paper+digital books if you buy directly from them. It might be worthwhile checking out the publisher's webpages before buying a book from Amazon.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
I don't think Amazon can discount anything right now if the book is part of the Agency model.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote