Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
Ncage1974
Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Kindle & kindle formatted tech books?

Hey guys i was looking for a e-reader maybe about 6 months ago and got an Ipad. While i liked the IPad i felt like i didn't get enough use out of it to justify the cost so i sold it (for a profit believe it or not). My main concern before was being able to read my tech pdf & chm files. To be honest i don't think i care that much anymore. I'f i'm going to read a pdf then i will just use my computer. I know the kindle is definitely not good for tech type books when they are pdf...but are they fine when they are kindle formatted? 99.9% of the time i read tech type books. I wouldn't be willing to spend the extra on the dx because your close to the cost of the ipad but if tech books are good when they are kindle formatted then id be willing to buy a kindle 3 wifi. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Ncage

Last edited by Ncage1974; 02-07-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Ncage1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
Ncage1974
Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK just to clarify i'm not talking about pdf that i convert to kindle format i'm talking about the ones you actually buy from amazon. I would image the publisher has taken the time to make sure it looks right on the kindle...but i wanted to ask before i made the jump...
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 AM   #3
MichelRenaud
Connoisseur
MichelRenaud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I only have one so far - Essential C# 4.0 - and the formatting is just fine. Even the source code samples look good (they seem to have used images for those(?)) That said, I guess it ultimately depends on how good a conversion job the publisher does.

I also have a few technical PDFs that look alright as well, and a couple that aren't so great.

Edit: That's using a DX. I noticed that a lot of Kindle technical books have a note saying that they're optimized for larger screens, so things may not be so great on a K3, for example.

Last edited by MichelRenaud; 02-08-2011 at 07:27 AM.
MichelRenaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Ncage1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelRenaud View Post
I only have one so far - Essential C# 4.0 - and the formatting is just fine. Even the source code samples look good (they seem to have used images for those(?)) That said, I guess it ultimately depends on how good a conversion job the publisher does.

I also have a few technical PDFs that look alright as well, and a couple that aren't so great.

Edit: That's using a DX. I noticed that a lot of Kindle technical books have a note saying that they're optimized for larger screens, so things may not be so great on a K3, for example.

I appreciate the reply. Like you said though your using a DX which could make a huge difference it and the 6 in screen on the K3.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Definitely depends upon the conversion. I have two Windows Home Server ebooks. One has terrible graphics and the other is quite good. Download books samples before you buy.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Ncage1974

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Definitely depends upon the conversion. I have two Windows Home Server ebooks. One has terrible graphics and the other is quite good. Download books samples before you buy.
So i guess the only way to really find out is just to buy one and start looking at the specific books i want to buy and found out right?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #7
MichelRenaud
Connoisseur
MichelRenaud began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncage1974 View Post
So i guess the only way to really find out is just to buy one and start looking at the specific books i want to buy and found out right?
With any luck you can download a free sample AND the sample will contain enough things like graphics and tables (etc...) so you can see if the formatting is any good.
MichelRenaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

I have a DXG and it is great for pdfs. If you actually read those pdfs and don't need to make bookmarks, notes, or search through the file the DX is the way to go. I picked up my DXG via Craig's list for $230 with leather cover and reading light. You don't have to pay $379 if you have the patience to wait for a deal to show up.

Duokan adds pdf functionality that is missing from the DXG's firmware.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote