Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
mst
Connoisseur
mst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Slowness of e-book reader

I am starting to use calibre, and the main drawdown so far is the slowness of the e-book viewer. I believe this is due to conversion to html format. However, some of my books are around 1,000 page-thick manuals, and take around 5 minutes to load in e-book viewer, which is a near deal breaker.

Has anybody else the same problem, or found a workaround?
mst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
convert them before hand to epub
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The viewer basically converts all documents to EPUB internally.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mst View Post
I am starting to use calibre, and the main drawdown so far is the slowness of the e-book viewer. I believe this is due to conversion to html format. However, some of my books are around 1,000 page-thick manuals, and take around 5 minutes to load in e-book viewer, which is a near deal breaker.
I'm guessing these are PDF formatted manuals. Why not just use Adobe Reader for these books. You don't have to use calibre's viewer for every format you read. Calibre allows you to launch whatever viewer you like from within calibre.

Go to Preferences - Behavior to configure the internal viewer.

I only use the internal viewer for epub, lrf, fb2, pdb, and rb. Any other book I attempt to view from calibre will launch and external viewer.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
mst
Connoisseur
mst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Thanks, this makes sense.

I personally find acrobat reader or foxit reader rather tiring to read long texts, while ebook viewers are far more convenient for me. I would not want to change the file association in the explorer for all pdf files to an ebook viewer though, as a lot of my business documents are also in pdf format.

The best scenario for me would be to use an external pdf ebook viewer for ebooks in pdf format, and have regular pdf files (invoices, etc.) open in adobe acrobat. This seemed possible by using the internal viewer in calibre.

Does anybody know a workaround for this?
mst is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mst View Post
The best scenario for me would be to use an external pdf ebook viewer for ebooks in pdf format, and have regular pdf files (invoices, etc.) open in adobe acrobat. This seemed possible by using the internal viewer in calibre.

Does anybody know a workaround for this?
Yes, go to the Custom GUI plugin thread and look at the Open ePub in Editor plugin. Kiwidude ought to be able to help you modify this plugin to say open PDF with Calibre viewer.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote