Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
2holdon
Enthusiast
2holdon will become famous soon enough2holdon will become famous soon enough2holdon will become famous soon enough2holdon will become famous soon enough2holdon will become famous soon enough2holdon will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox M96
Question Big eReader - some advice needed

I am thinking of buying an eReader. It is not a matter of days, but within the next month or so I would love to order one.

While getting into the necessary read I mainly came across two models (not counting the amazon DX):

The Onyx Boox M96 and the Icarus eXceL 9.7.

What strikes me about the M96 is the ability to use other Android-Apps and a decent (at least I hope so) stylus capability. Also it seems to just enter the market so I hopefully won't be buying "old tech".
Both do not seem to have back lighting included. :-(

Getting back to the forum title:
Which one should I get?

Am I missing out on some other model (or feature) I should consider?

Thanks for your help!

PS: Usage will be mostly pdf's. A smaller one is definitely not an option. I would love 3G (but I don't see this happening) and a long battery life.
2holdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I am not aware of any device above 8" with a front light. Most are 6" devices although there are some 6.8" and 8". No E Ink device uses backlight. Read about front light in our wiki if this is important to you.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
You haven't specified e-ink, so unless long battery life is a dealbreaker for you, for PDF reading, I strongly suggest a tablet.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #4
2holdon
Enthusiast
2holdon will become famous soon enough2holdon will become famous soon enough2holdon will become famous soon enough2holdon will become famous soon enough2holdon will become famous soon enough2holdon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Read about front light in our wiki if this is important to you.
I am not sure it is important to me. It's just that amazon promotes its paperwhite so heavily.. but I guess I can live without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
You haven't specified e-ink, so unless long battery life is a dealbreaker for you, for PDF reading, I strongly suggest a tablet.
Yeah, long battery life is pretty high on my agenda. Also, I have tried reading on a tablet (iPad 4, latest version) and I didn't feel comfortable doing that.
Long story short: e-ink is the deal here.

I wouldn't mind going for 13.3 but it seems, that the Sony is too expensive and yet very limited in its abilities. And apart from last years rumors I haven't heard anything from Onyx so far. Or is there any news I may have missed?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2holdon View Post
Which one should I get?

Icarus eXceL 9.7 is a re-branded Onyx M92
So basically you are deciding between Onyx M92 and Onyx M96.

M96 is the latest version which is now on pre-order.
I have M92 and i am going to buy M96 as well. I will keep the one that is better and give the other one to my sibling.

M92 has almost perfected pdf file handling but there are still few improvements that can be done. I am hoping that M96 will be much better than M96.

And if you want frontlight, then you can check Onyx i86 (8 inch screen) .
It will be launched after few months.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:24 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest, get a cheap tablet to read PDF on the go. Then you can get a more reasonably priced eInk reader to actually read with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
So, an M96 is basically an Android tablet with an e-ink screen? I've looked at the spec and that's what it seems to be. How does an e-ink screen cope with a fast processor in terms of refresh rate? Is it capable of displaying Android apps at full speed or is it messy? The vid on the page linked above is blocked here at work.
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
So, an M96 is basically an Android tablet with an e-ink screen? I've looked at the spec and that's what it seems to be. How does an e-ink screen cope with a fast processor in terms of refresh rate? Is it capable of displaying Android apps at full speed or is it messy? The vid on the page linked above is blocked here at work.

Yes, the whole new lineup of Onyx (T68, M96 and I86) is based on Android 4.0
Earlier R65, C65 based on Android 2.3 were released in Russian Market.

Devices are still on pre-order, so you won't find much detailed info regarding performance of android apps and the kind of apps that can be run on e-ink screen. But there is fast refresh mode or No-Refresh mode available. It is the same thing which is available as a patch for Rooted Nooks

Last edited by Feher; 06-06-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #9
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
Yes, the whole new lineup of Onyx (T68, M96 and I86) is based on Android 4.0
Earlier R65, C65 based on Android 2.3 were released in Russian Market.

Devices are still on pre-order, so you won't find much detailed info regarding performance of android apps and the kind of apps that can be run on e-ink screen. But there is fast refresh mode or No-Refresh mode available. It is the same thing which is available as a patch for Rooted Nooks
Thanks Feher. Definitely one to watch for me as it would be ideal for a device to be able to run Android pdf reader apps with the battery life and clarity of the e-ink screen. I'm drawn to the page turn buttons too on this device. Having these on my original Kindle were great and I often miss them on the Kobo Glo.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
2holdon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
Icarus eXceL 9.7 is a re-branded Onyx M92
So basically you are deciding between Onyx M92 and Onyx M96.
Oh, well that really narrows it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest, get a cheap tablet to read PDF on the go. Then you can get a more reasonably priced eInk reader to actually read with.
Thanks for you advice. However, I prefer taking only one (extra) device. And I might need to clarify that the pdfs I will be reading will be 99% text with the occasional graph or table. So the "actual reading" will be with pdfs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
The vid on the page linked above is blocked here at work.
You didn't miss out on much. The video is not too extensive and really only gives one quick look at the device. See this video for more background on Android and Onyx.

Is there a good website I could check to get the latest on the "market entry" of the M96 and then buy it (I am located in Germany)?

Also, any recent news(link?) on the 13.3 Onyx Boox?

Last edited by 2holdon; 06-06-2014 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Added video link.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
2holdon
Enthusiast

I just bought the M96. Let's see how it goes. :-)
Old 06-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #12
leaston
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2holdon View Post
I just bought the M96. Let's see how it goes. :-)
Would you post your thoughts in here please? I'd be very interested in your opinion of it for pdfs.

Thanks for the vid link. I'm home again now and will have a watch this evening
Old 06-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #13
2holdon
Enthusiast

I will let you know when I get it. Since it is my first e-ink-Reader my thoughts may turn out to be questions rather than a sound judgement. :-)

I just hope it is self explanatory. Not a big fan of manuals for electronic devices.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #14
2holdon
Enthusiast

I decided to use the existing M96 thread... follow the discussion there: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...48#post2849648
Old 06-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #15
leaston
Addict

Great stuff. Thanks 2holdon

Tags
buying, ereader, icarus excel, onyx boox