Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

View Poll Results: M92: What screen update settings (page refresh) do you use? Post a Poll
Never 4 9.30%
every 3 pages 9 20.93%
every 5 pages 7 16.28%
every 7 pages 2 4.65%
every 9 pages 3 6.98%
always 18 41.86%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
What screen update settings (page refresh) do you use?

Hi all

I am curious to see if the other settings are used or not. Personally I found that "allways" is ...always required otherwise my pages get muddy
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Inemi
Connoisseur
Inemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toys

Device: Boox i62HD
am I the only one who update every 9 pages? but I don't know if there are some differences with i62HD...

bye
Inemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
It seems that Onyx will have to work a little bit on their screen
I believe this is a hardware problem since almost half of us have to refresh always.
When I say hardware I mean the technology, Onyx can not be blamed for the quality of the eInk screen
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:12 AM   #4
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
It seems that Onyx will have to work a little bit on their screen
I believe this is a hardware problem since almost half of us have to refresh always.
Not "have to" so much as "see no reason not to", as the update is so-close-to-instantaneous as makes no difference.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Why cannot it be set higher than 9 ?
On my rooted Sony a no-refresh mode is available, which would translate into a so far non-existent "Never" setting on the M92. On Kobo readers you can set it up to 99 in the official firmware.
The flashing of the screen of e-ink readers has been proven by French neuro-scientists to distract the brain, decrease understanding and memorizing of the text. Of course this is not perceived by our consciousness; it takes place unconsciously, like 90% of what takes place in our brains.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
The flashing of the screen of e-ink readers has been proven by French neuro-scientists to distract the brain, decrease understanding and memorizing of the text. Of course this is not perceived by our consciousness; it takes place unconsciously, like 90% of what takes place in our brains.
Can you give a link proving this statement.
I laughed a bit while reading this statement

Last edited by Feher; 05-15-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
Can you give a link proving this statement.
I laughed a bit while reading this statement
A drunk moron in a bar in North Dakota would have laughed too.
How many books did you read about what takes place in human brains ?
I guess close to zero.
These scientist did the research I wrote about :
http://www.lutin-userlab.fr/site/recherche/
Old 05-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #8
Inemi
Connoisseur
Inemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toys

Device: Boox i62HD
Your answer was not much polite, but I am a bit interested on these researches, so can you post a more precise link?
I haven't find any researches yet concluded which can confirm what you are saying.
Inemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
I admit that is not my favourite topic for essays...do you have a direct link to the paper?
I'm not finding it in the french website.

I guess that will be difficult to collect such kind of informations.
We need some digital generations of students/readers.

Do i remember better some classics because i read them when i was young or because i read them on real paper?
I don't want to take a statistic at just me :-) but i found the flash a little distracting too.
I notice myself don't watching the screen while i flip page.
But putting the refresh something else than "always" disturb me even more.
It's persisting even with "always".
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
A drunk moron in a bar in North Dakota would have laughed too.
How many books did you read about what takes place in human brains ?
I guess close to zero.
These scientist did the research I wrote about :
http://www.lutin-userlab.fr/site/recherche/
I stated a fact. I laughed when i first read it and i am laughing again at your awesome reply

I like neurobiology and read about it because it concerns me even if i were a drunk moron.But it is not an exact science as of now, so whatever research there is i will take it with a grain of salt
Please share direct link to the paper
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
Lbooker
Addict

It is all about "change blindness" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKYB-WwkqE8

In this interview, Ron Rensink from the University of British Columbia talks about the change blindness research paradigm, how it developed, the theoretical significance for theories of attention, and some interesting findings. He also talks about his concept of "mindsight" that describes the ability of a subset of participants in his studies to reliably identify the presence or absence of a change without being able to identify the nature of the change initially.

Here are a few pages from a French science magazine presenting French research about electronic reading technologies and the brain (some images and graphics are included) : http://pvevent1.immanens.com/fr/pvPa...2232&pa=1&nu=1
They quote Charles Tijus, director of the "Laboratoire Cognitions humaine et artificielle" and director of "Lutin", the research lab I linked to before :

"Le « flash noir » qui apparaissait entre deux pages, lié à la lenteur du chargement, tend à disparaître. Ce flash, long de 1 à 3 secondes efface en partie la mémoire de l’image de la page qu’on vient de lire, un phénomène connu sous le nom de change blindness. L’attention décroche et on peine à se souvenir ce que l’on était entrain de lire."

He explains that the black flash occurring when turning a page on the screen of an e-ink reader causes change blindness. Your attention drops, and the memory of what you just read seriously decreases.

Last edited by Lbooker; 05-17-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
"Le « flash noir » qui apparaissait entre deux pages, lié à la lenteur du chargement, tend à disparaître. Ce flash, long de 1 à 3 secondes efface en partie la mémoire de l’image de la page qu’on vient de lire, un phénomène connu sous le nom de change blindness. L’attention décroche et on peine à se souvenir ce que l’on était entrain de lire."
Now, the flash is faster than 1s, this problem isn't so important now.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:03 AM   #13
Lbooker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Now, the flash is faster than 1s, this problem isn't so important now.
Do you speak as scientist who did an experiment with an EEG to find out if a flash of less than one second does affect the brain ?
Or are you talking out of a part of your anatomy more renowned for its venting power than for its thinking power ?
Let me further educate you, rascal :
Rensink, O'Regan, & Clark [1997] used what they called the "flicker" technique, in which, instead of an eye movement, a brief flicker was introduced between successive images. A first picture (picture A) would be shown for, say, 250 ms, followed by a modified picture (picture B). Inbetween A and B, a brief blank screen (bl) would be shown. This would cause a flicker, lasting about 80 ms, that is, a duration similar to that of an eye movement. The cycle A-bl-B-bl-... was then repeated. Observers were told that something was changing in the picture every time the flicker occurred, and they were asked to search for it.
Under conditions where no flicker was inserted inbetween the pictures (A-B-A-B-…) the change was immediately visible and totally obvious.
More here : http://nivea.psycho.univ-paris5.fr/ECS/ECS-CB.html

Last edited by Lbooker; 05-19-2013 at 04:06 AM.