Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
What's your Glo's battery life like?

What are your experiences with battery life of your Glo? I'm specifically interested in how long it takes for the battery to go from 100% to 0% (using sleep mode and reading, no wifi).

I'm suspecting my Glo's battery is bad, but before I go through the whole charade of exchanging it and maybe missing my Glo for a while, I want to be absolutely certain.

My current estimate is 8 days of use in mostly sleep mode, about an hour's reading a day, half of the time with the light on (lowest setting).

Thanks in advance for sharing your numbers

Edit: see post 18 for the Geoff-test

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 01-25-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
is wifi on? Sleep will drain it since its using juice to keep everything loaded. If I leave my touch in sleep I also see a huuuuge difference. Power off
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
is wifi on? Sleep will drain it since its using juice to keep everything loaded. If I leave my touch in sleep I also see a huuuuge difference. Power off
Oh, I know. Wifi is off. And I want it in sleep mode because I'm currently comparing it to my Touch in sleep mode: Touch gives me 25-31 days in constant sleep mode. 8 days in sleep mode for my Glo with same settings and same book in cache seems ridiculous next to that.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 01-23-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Hmm... my touch gets nowhere near that long in sleep mode. I get about 10-15 days. I did buy it right when it came out though.

How long have you had the Glo? Maybe it needs to be drained completely a few times before the battery life sort of settles in.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
Reposting what I said in another thread on this topic + an updated note:

I haven't been overly scientific about my battery usage but I read everyday for 1-2hrs a day. Only sleep my Kobo Glo and use the Glo function 1/4-1/3 of the time and it'll last over 30-35hrs on a single charge might stretch to 40hrs in some cases.

So it'll go about a month using sleep mode while reading at 2-4x the usage rate of Kindle's* battery usage amounts before I have to recharge.

Wifi off at all times (I never turn it on)

*Kindles #'s if I recall are 30min reading per day.

Additional Note: This charge cycle I've used the Glo function way less than previously and I'm already at 39hrs on this charge and still the battery indicator says I've got 55% of a charge left. (Though % drops like crazy towards the end of the cycle)

I only charge the battery when the thing tells me it's dead.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Thanks Lunchtray!! The hours you are stating that it lasts I'm assuming is reading time, excluding the sleep-hours? So 33h reading hours divided by an average of 1.5h a day equals 22 days until the battery drops to 0%. Lots better than mine!

m_bisson: thanks for thinking along with me! Note that I'm not currently using my Touch for reading, it's just in sleep mode and I wake it up twice a day to see the battery %. So including reading I probably won't get 25-31 days out of it. (I'm not sure though.) I've had my Glo for --uhm-- 5 or 6 weeks and it's had about 6 or 7 complete charge cycles already. I have a more detailed account over here.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 01-23-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Could we design a standard objective test for battery life?

Choose a standard reference text (War and Peace perhaps :-)
Select standard font, margin, linespacing, settings.
Charge battery to 100%
Page through the reference book from start to finish.
Report battery level.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Thanks Lunchtray!! The hours you are stating that it lasts I'm assuming is reading time, excluding the sleep-hours? So 33h reading hours divided by an average of 1.5h a day equals 22 days until the battery drops to 0%. Lots better than mine!.
Exactly! As I mentioned too I'm about to break 40hrs reading time this cycle (Keep track in the reading life) with my use of the Glo function being less than my previous charge cycle.

Esentially, 2hrs reading 22hrs sleeping in a day. Have to charge after 22-days to a month for the battery.

I also tend to run my font quite small and have very little line spacing and small margins so I have more text per page turn. I think I average around 1.2 page turns per min while reading
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I didn't keep track of my first charge
My second charge was at 40 % after 16 days
My third charge was 55% after 6 days

I use sleep, no wifi. Read about 2 hours a day.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I know you're looking for non-wifi users, but 8 days seems short based on my experience. I hit 14 days on Monday and was 20-30% left but I ended up recharging because I was going away and didn't want to take charger. I download 2 newspapers each day and probably read on average 2-3 hours/day with the light on all the time. Wifi is only on while I'm downloading
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:59 AM   #11
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Thanks everyone!! I'll be making me a nice spreadsheet. But even without it I can see my battery definitely isn't doing what it should :S

Oh, and, I just looked at my Glo to see how much it had dropped during the night. 12 hours ago it was at 40%... Now it's the black screen telling me to charge – no way to know how long ago it ran out of juice. So, that gives me 6 days in sleep mode, no wifi, no nothing.

Now I have to choose between contacting the Dutch mail order company I bought it from or go directly to Kobo...
Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #12
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Thanks everyone!! I'll be making me a nice spreadsheet. But even without it I can see my battery definitely isn't doing what it should :S

Oh, and, I just looked at my Glo to see how much it had dropped during the night. 12 hours ago it was at 40%... Now it's the black screen telling me to charge – no way to know how long ago it ran out of juice. So, that gives me 6 days in sleep mode, no wifi, no nothing.

Now I have to choose between contacting the Dutch mail order company I bought it from or go directly to Kobo...
Sounds very similar to my problem (also posted to your other thread). I would suggest an email to Kobo support, outlining your findings. They sent me a new replacement, which is what I was hoping for, given the original one was bad from the get-go.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #13
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
That's definitely not right. I hope that Kobo will hear you.
Good luck
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #14
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Sounds very similar to my problem (also posted to your other thread). I would suggest an email to Kobo support, outlining your findings. They sent me a new replacement, which is what I was hoping for, given the original one was bad from the get-go.
Thanks for sharing VelvetElvis! I'm happy for you you got a new Glo. I hope I get a new one as well! What country are you in? I'm not sure whether Kobo's beautiful exchange mechanism is in place in the Netherlands :S I'm hoping it is!

I contacted the place where I got it from first, just because they also give a year's warranty. But their policy is: pick up the defective devices, spend 3 weeks seeing if they can fix it and then either send it back or send a new one. I don't want to live without my Glo for at least 3 weeks! And I also don't want to wait 3 weeks just to get my own Glo back full of dirty finger marks and scratches from opening it up (I ALWAYS have clean hands.) So I sent Kobo an email instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
That's definitely not right. I hope that Kobo will hear you.
Good luck
Thanks Samhy!! Fingers crossed indeed!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #15
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
It definitely sounds like something is wrong with your battery Mrs_Often. I read for about 5 hours per day and charge every two weeks, whether I need to or not.

When I exchanged my Glo due to a faulty light button, I sent Kobo an email on a Saturday, and on the following Tuesday (1 week, 2 days) my replacement device was delivered. I think dealing with Kobo directly will be your best bet for a resolution. Good luck!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote