Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
nook tablet vs nook hd form factor

Has anyone here owned both the nook tablet and nook hd? I am curious about about how the devices differ in how they feel in the hand. How noticeable is the lighter weight of the nook hd? What about the materials? Are they more grippy on the hd? Are the differently rounded corners more comfortable in hand?
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have the Nook Color and just bought the Nook HD+. It is a larger form factor than the HD. I like it is 34.4 X 35.8 X 0.80 mm larger. It weighs 2.4 ounces more and displays in HD. I love it. The weight difference is not noticeable to me unless I hold them at the same time. The HD+ has the same basic form factor as the Color and Tablet. The HD is different so I can not answer that question. I did not like the look of the Nook HD. I like having the same form factor in a larger size.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
jeankap
EReading Gadget Maven
jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: All of 'em.
The Nook HD has a similar form factor to the nook STR - doesn't feel like it will slip out of my hand and the back is shaped similarly. The screen is MUCH nicer than the tablet, IMHO. It feels like there's a zagg coating or screen protector in place to the touch, and the clarity of text is really good. I went with the HD instead of the HD+ because of the size, and because I have no intention to watch videos or do other things requiring a bigger screen.

The clarity is better than my iPad mini, but the reading app is all nook.
jeankap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I currently have a tablet and spent a little time with the HD on display at my local B&N store today. I would second everything jeankap said above.

Amazing display, very light and text is very crisp. I very much like my tablet but it was hard to walk out of the store this morning without making a purchase.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Whatever the coating or protector was on the Nook HD, I could not scroll fast around web pages which made me take notice. Whatever it is wasn't to my liking to tell the truth. Maybe there was another factor involved so I will continue to monitor this. My hands were not sticky or sweating by the way.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Whatever the coating or protector was on the Nook HD, I could not scroll fast around web pages which made me take notice. Whatever it is wasn't to my liking to tell the truth. Maybe there was another factor involved so I will continue to monitor this. My hands were not sticky or sweating by the way.
Did the screen feel eough or textured?
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will describe it as the coating almost blocking my gestures with the screen. Maybe you have to press harder but not my experience with any other tablets I have or demoed in stores.

The Mini? It is like your hand/finger is moving very fluently, almost like the coating was like ice! Only my impression though with the nook hd. Maybe others will chime in or the demo specially treated perhaps?

The display is aces by the way.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
The Mini? It is like your hand/finger is moving very fluently, almost like the coating was like ice! Only my impression though with the nook hd. Maybe others will chime in or the demo specially treated perhaps?
Not certain if this is related, but the nook tablet also felt a bit sticky when scrolling; adding a clear screen protector improved things considerably.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
robertc88
Fanatic

Maybe b&n screen covered with something making it harder to scroll inadvertently.

Not trying to influence anyone, just my experience. I will try one elsewhere in my travels but it would be at another location so maybe the same experience. Nothing like the icy glass mini which really impressed me.

Last edited by robertc88; 11-15-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
jeankap
EReading Gadget Maven
jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: All of 'em.
I have the icy glass mini, too... And the clarity of the Nook HD is still better. I have a Zagg shield on my iPhone, so I'm used to the texture. In fact, I tried using my iPhone 5 without the Zagg shield and found that my typing was no where near the accuracy that it was with the Zagg shield on the iPhone 4, so the Zagg shield went on.

As for the mini, it's a thumbs up for me. A thumbs down for my cat. The target areas are too small for her paws. She prefers the "new" iPad... More on that later... in a different venue...
jeankap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
[The Nook HD is]very light and text is very crisp. I very much like my tablet but it was hard to walk out of the store this morning without making a purchase.
I went for it. Visited a B&N in person yesterday, and reserved a Nook HD (8GB, "Smoke" color) for my SO for Xmas. He loves his NC except for the weight, so that'll be an automatic upgrade. Neither of us watch vids on our tablets, which I guess is a good thing. I watched the "Brave" trailer in store and was underwhelmed. But reading the NY Times and the Web were major delights. I was 99% sold. However....

I wanted to kick a couple more tires: since the whole Nookiverse is substantially changed, I wanted to make sure that I could replicate to some degree what my SO is used to on the NC - not because it's the greatest thing in the world, but he likes it, which should be good enough for me. For all the hype, the HD looks like a fresh copy of Windows XP: having to pick a profile, password protection, e.g. - a great idea for families if it works, sure, but not what he's used to or would not find a huge PITA in short order.

Although it it not obvious, the NHD DOES still offer a "Home" screen experience very similar to the NC's - where one can drag books directly from the library and rearrange the items on the HOME screen. Wallpaper can be changed on it, also. (Did not find a way to get rid of the white banner along the top, however. Unattractive and irritating.)

I have no comment on the book-reading experience. I never liked the Nook bookreading experience, and still don't, but this tablet isn't for me. I assume that there will be high legibility like in the web and newspapers I enjoyed reading in-store, so, great. But I was underwhelmed trying to customize the Book Reader setup. It doesn't look like there's a separate brightness setting just for the reader, for one. It simply adopts the device's brightness setting. Boo. I tried a couple of the non-white background "themes" and still... yawn.

Now to one thing everyone comments on: how ugly the Nook HD is. It isn't really ugly at all. At least the "Smoke"-bezeled HD. I think the white-bezeled one is probably designed to appeal to kids - The B&N website uses a huge picture of a tot with the white one, and it's hard to think of any kid-oriented pad/tablet that doesn't feature a white frame or bezel either alone or in combination with other bright colors. But, well, we don't have any kids, so....

I can say that it IS as ugly in store as it looks in the pictures. But like the original Nook Color, the Nook HD/Smoke is not done justice by the camera. Both of those pieces of hardware are much more attractive in person than on film (IMHO!). I'm not saying it's a Jobsian marvel of exquisite beauty and unparalleled engineering know-how, but it looks and feels right. It looks like it "makes sense", if that makes sense. You're holding it, looking at it, using it, and never thinking "WHY the hell did they do THAT?"

Still, I was so positively overwhelmed with the weight, and the web/newspaper reading, I was set to buy but for one last possible deal-killer: that proprietary adapter. I asked for a hands-on with an untethered NHD and one of these stupid new power adapters they're foisting on everybody.

The nice salesperson was cooperative. The proprietary NC adapter was a loser out of the box and everyone knew it, for reasons that won't be belabored here, and have little to do with the fact in and of itself that it was proprietary. Things can be proprietary and awesome, but the NC adapter was not one of them. When he handed me the 2 toys to play with I got an immediate kick in the stomach - the Nook-end of this connector looked like it had been, um, cooked a bit - out of sharp-shape, as if it had been overheated. Still, my primary concern was everyday use. My SO tethers his NC to power daily - that's how he rolls - and I presume that he will behave that way going forward. I wanted to see the ins and outs of this thing - where there squeeze-tabs on the side like on old Apple adapters? Would one have to take care to practice the delicate choreography of angling and insertion every day? My impression: no. It inserts and removes cleanly, and doesn't feel fragile. However, the "n" which indicates the front of the adapter should have been in a different color or something. The adapter is all black and the famous "n" is just stamped into it, and not even deeply enough so that you can feel it in the dark. Had I not been wearing my bifocals, I don't think I would have known which end was up. So, not a full fail on that new adapter, but I think it could be a dealbreaker for some.

When I get around to setup and such, I'll review those aspects. Right now, it's still in the box, waiting for me to get into Santa's helper mode.

By the time I got a glare-screen kit ($20) and 2 year warranty ($39 for the HD 8GB, more money for different Nook models), and paid local sales tax, my $199 Nook HD was $279.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
I had the NT and the screen was a little difficult to scroll on easily, and you could see the little mesh network underneath the glass. The HD is great to hold, although there's a hard plastic on the edge that might feel uncomfortable to the hand. I nearly bought one at Target, but I just couldn't get past the lack of good, inexpensive apps, and the one I used most, Scrabble, didn't have an HD version yet. I always had trouble navigating on the NT too, especially with files on an SD card, and the media and music apps were awful.

I went for the ipad mini, despite reservations about the lower resolution, but I was pleasantly surprised, even for reading. The greater screen area allows both 2-page landscape and portrait mode, and it rests nicely on my hand, sort of like the Kindle 3. Where it really shines, though, is as a gaming tablet--easy to hold and turn and tap, whereas the ipad is too big and the itouch/iphone too small for me. The web browsing is also much easier than on the smaller Nook Tablet screen, where I used to have difficulty hitting small links. I was also able to split my ipad apps and music and movie files between the two devices, to save some space and add variety.

But for those who just want a good tablet reading experience, with maybe some Netflix thrown in, the HD is a good choice. The Kobo Arc is also coming out this month, which has access to Google Play, so those looking for a good ereader tablet might want to wait and check that one out too.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoshka View Post
I always had trouble navigating on the NT too, especially with files on an SD card, and the media and music apps were awful.
B&N has apparently left it to the dwindling number of Nook developers to solve file management issues. There's a free Nook-store app called OpenExplorer which has gotten a lot of good reviews:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/open...org/1111331126

It's basically a simple file explorer, but that's some good news, because the Nook C/T/HD all sorely lack one. With the HD's requirement of MTP from Windows, and word from KG that Calibre was not going to have its own HD drivers, I was facing a real post-Christmas crisis as to how I was going to deal with getting books onto my husband's HD, and then in the right place so they show in the Library.

Looks like Dropbox and OpenExplorer will solve that problem (disclaimer: I haven't tried OpenExplorer personally).
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #14
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I had the Nook Tablet and now have the Nook HD. The HD is very light. I like the form factor of the HD slightly better. Nice screen too.

I almost went for the HD+ but I have an ipad. The smaller size of the HD works better for me
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #15
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
I just got my Nook HD for Christmas and I've had no trouble with Calibre recognizing it and transferring books so far. I don't even have the latest Calibre update, probably about 1-2 months old.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote