Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 08-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Stevenson, Robert Louis: Treasure Island (Illustrated).v1. 21 Aug 2012

Time for yet another edition of Treasure Island... The classic tale of the young boy Jim Hawkins' perilous quest for the fabled treasure of the pirate captain Flint.

I've used pdurrant's text, and added the illustrations by Louis Rhead. There are many excellent illustrated versions of this tale, but I think his is my favourite.

Given the use of different fonts and slightly daring layout, it may not show up properly in all readers, I'm interested in feedback if there are problems.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover_image.jpg
Views:	1798
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	91084  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Stevenson, Robert Louis - Treasure Island.epub (7.47 MB, 1846 views)
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:59 AM   #2
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
I'm interested in feedback if there are problems.
Wow, really great ... (left me nearly spechless ...)

Displays without errors on PB622 and Acer.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Now that is a seriously good book you've made.

I like what you did with getting the text to display over the image, it's the sort of thing I've been trying to figure out for one of my books. I might need to borrow a bit of your code for myself.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Absolutely brilliant formatting, thanks!

I have the world's smallest nitpick; the ludovico font doesn't seem to contain hyphens, search for "Over on the back the same hand had written this further information" and look at "Spy-glass" in the letter underneath. You surely don't need instructions, but to me it looks best to add
Code:
span.ludohyphen {
  font-family: "AquilineTwo";
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
}
to CSS and of course replace hyphens in the relevant divs with "<span class="ludohyphen">-</span>".

This case is a trivial s/r, but I have a related question: If i find errors in an epub, do uploaders accept a corrected epub, or do you prefer a list of errata (so you don't have to depend on the ability of random strangers to edit epubs)? I couldn't find comments on this in the guidelines. For me personally it might be easier to just make the changes than to compile a list of errata.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:47 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I can't speak for others, but I prefer a list of changes, so I can modify my source files and propagate to other versions. But I'm also OK with a modified ePub if the changes are only the corrections needed, so I can easily find them with a diff (i.e., no other changes in markup, file naming, structure...)

Regarding the missing hyphen, I'd recommend modifying the font with FontForge (if the license allows embedding in ePub, it probably also allows modification, but it might require a name change). It shouldn't be too hard to add a passable hyphen.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Thank you for pointing that out, antropophageous anatidae...

Regarding corrections, I share Jellby's opinion. As long as the changes are easy to find, I have no problem with an altered epub file.

Regarding the dash, I think I'll just use another font for it. But I'm wondering if specifying AquilineTwo as a fallback font might do the trick? Now I'm the one picking nits, but I feel it is best to handle such an issue in the stylesheet if possible.
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Regarding the dash, I think I'll just use another font for it. But I'm wondering if specifying AquilineTwo as a fallback font might do the trick? Now I'm the one picking nits, but I feel it is best to handle such an issue in the stylesheet if possible.
I did a couple of trials with fallback in different viewers:

ADE (Sony PRS-650), iBooks and Bluefire seems to honour them, Aldiko just ignores the whole font, Calibre and Sigil don't use fallback glyphs and displays the dreaded rectangle. I agree that the span trick is messy, but it might be a bit more robust. Your call

Last edited by Man Eating Duck; 09-07-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
billingd
Enthusiast
billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I'm interested in feedback if there are problems.
The first couple of chapters look great on a Kobo1.
billingd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #9
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@ SBT --- Beautifully done, sir.
Now for a good wallow in nostalgia, I haven't read this for decades.

Thank you.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:15 AM   #10
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Elipsa, Sage
Thank you very much for this beautiful edition. Do you know by any chance where I could find the verse preface I've heard about? And if you find it would it be possible to integrate it in your versions?
Best, anacreon
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, pirates, sailing, treasure