Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
rpmazur
Connoisseur
rpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheese

Device: Calibre (for MAC), MoonReader (Android)
Kobo Books not showing up

Hi there. Just recently installed Calibre for Mac OS X. I located where all my Kindle and Kobo books are and copied (not moved) them to a new directory that I setup the Calibre software to look at for the books.

All the books from the Kobo (the free titles) are not showing up in the Calibre software. The titles from the Kindle are, but not Kobo.

I am running the Kindle and Kobo apps for the iPhone/iPod Touch. The Borders desktop sees all the books for the Kobo with no issue, so I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
rpmazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmazur View Post
Hi there. Just recently installed Calibre for Mac OS X. I located where all my Kindle and Kobo books are and copied (not moved) them to a new directory that I setup the Calibre software to look at for the books.

All the books from the Kobo (the free titles) are not showing up in the Calibre software. The titles from the Kindle are, but not Kobo.

I am running the Kindle and Kobo apps for the iPhone/iPod Touch. The Borders desktop sees all the books for the Kobo with no issue, so I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Kobo hides them from Calibre and the external port
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
rpmazur
Connoisseur
rpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Kobo hides them from Calibre and the external port
Anyway to get around it??
Old 08-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Anyway to get around it??
If there was (and I don't think there is), MR rules prevent instructions on defeating copy protection.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
rpmazur
Connoisseur

Quote:
If there was (and I don't think there is), MR rules prevent instructions on defeating copy protection.
Gotcha, however <comma, dramatic pause>, the books I'm trying to put into Calibre were a free "purchase" from Kobo, so, not sure how or why there would be copy protection, unless they wanted us to read them only on the Kobo.

Thanks anyways!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Um... if the books are in Kobo format then no.... they are not viewable via Calibre / ADE or any tool other than Kobo Desktop. The Free Titles unfortunately are shipped on the Kobo itself (WiFi or original; not on Touch) and never make it into Kobo Desktop.

You can find the majority of them on the Kobo web site and download true ePub versions of them. You could also look in the libraries here at MobileRead and probably find better versions of many of them (again in ePub format).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:01 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Gotcha, however <comma, dramatic pause>, the books I'm trying to put into Calibre were a free "purchase" from Kobo, so, not sure how or why there would be copy protection, unless they wanted us to read them only on the Kobo.

Thanks anyways!
Free does not invalidate a copyright, steps to protect the copyright or terms of use.
Kobo seems to say "Free, but it can only be used on this Kobo".

Calibre is copyrighted, it is also free, it is also open source (with those rules and (lack of heavy ) restrictions applied)
Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
willcare
willcare began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Free does not invalidate a copyright, steps to protect the copyright or terms of use.
Kobo seems to say "Free, but it can only be used on this Kobo".

Calibre is copyrighted, it is also free, it is also open source (with those rules and (lack of heavy ) restrictions applied)
so how come the books that I bought and downloaded as epub's are stuck in the same kobo limbo?
willcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcare View Post
so how come the books that I bought and downloaded as epub's are stuck in the same kobo limbo?
Why don't you Ask Kobo?
BTW You did not 'buy' the book. You bought a license to read it on your device. Welcome to the world of e-books where you no longer own a copy.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
willcare
willcare began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Why don't you Ask Kobo?
BTW You did not 'buy' the book. You bought a license to read it on your device. Welcome to the world of e-books where you no longer own a copy.
I have. they keep sending me the instruction to load books onto the reader, not the other way. sigh. I miss dog-earring the pages.
willcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by willcare View Post
Those books are probably protected by DRM. While yes, there are means available to add on to Calibre to handle removal of the DRM, we can't discuss them here on MobileRead.

However, Googling Apprentice Alf might help.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote