Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
LearnSpanish
LearnSpanish began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Using the Kindle to learn more Spanish

Hi everyone,

After having borrowed a Kindle to make sure it would show me the Spanish definition of a word while I was reading a book in Spanish, I decided that I would more quickly learn new vocabulary when I could see the definition of the word as I read.

I followed these instructions to change my primary dictionary to my Spanish/English dictionary :

If you are not already on the Home screen, press the "Home" button.
Press the "Menu" button.
Move the 5-way controller to underline "Settings" and press to select.
Press the "Menu" button.
Move the 5-way to underline "Change Primary Dictionary" and press to select.
Move the 5-way to underline the dictionary you want to use Spanish/English dictionary) and press to select.

and these instructions to view the definitions:

While reading a book or periodical, you can see a brief definition of a word using the Lookup feature. The Lookup feature uses the primary dictionary.

To see the definition of a word in your reading:
Move the 5-way controller up or down to display and place the cursor in front of the word.
If the word is found in the dictionary, a definition extract appears at the bottom of the screen.
To see the complete definition, press the Return key. You will now be placed in the dictionary and can use Previous Page and Next Page to view other word definitions.
Press the Back button to return to your reading.

Learning new vocabulary this way has been almost painless. Having to cursor to the word is a bit tedious but it's still much easier than having to look up a word in a dictionary.

If anyone has questions about how to use these features, please post a note to this forum.

BTW, I'm also trying to improve my French while I read on the Kindle. Most of the time it works but if the words are combined such as l'encouragement, then the dictionary can't find the word so I have to move my cursor to the next word and then enter the dictionary and search for the word.

Jade
LearnSpanish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
learn french, learn spanish, spanish dictionary