Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Back to the Future: Paper E-Books?

All this fuss about creating electronic books, and yet the future might be paper books after all. New research has demonstrated the ability to create a capacitor that can potentially power paper electronics. This may eventually open the door for circuits that are printed on paper, and cheap disposable electronics.

Imagine that... your e-books and paper books are the same thing. Products should be available for holiday shopping in the year 2096 or so.

See more at PhysOrg.com.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can wait...

Yeah, reminds me of all the retro-paper look electronic devices they like to show us on TV and movies (Caprica immediately comes to mind). Fortunately, I think sharper minds will prevail, and realize paper really isn't that ideal a medium for presentation of anything...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Delta Tango
Groupie
Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox
Well, that's power supply; what about a screen?
Delta Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
They need to couple that up with the e-Ink Esquire cover they did last year!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
oggelbe2007
Limited Warranty
oggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enough

Device: A sweet PRS-500, DXG
Who needs paper, just tatoo that circuit right on your arm and use your body heat for power. A little wireless network access and some heads-up display in my sunglasses and I'm ready for work at the robot factory. The future is gonna be so much fun.
oggelbe2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by oggelbe2007 View Post
Who needs paper, just tatoo that circuit right on your arm and use your body heat for power. A little wireless network access and some heads-up display in my sunglasses and I'm ready for work at the robot factory. The future is gonna be so much fun.
Yep. Sort of like this:
Programmable Tatoos
and
Body heat for power
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:30 AM   #7
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I can wait...

Yeah, reminds me of all the retro-paper look electronic devices they like to show us on TV and movies (Caprica immediately comes to mind). Fortunately, I think sharper minds will prevail, and realize paper really isn't that ideal a medium for presentation of anything...
Neal Stephenson's Diamond Age also has a very interesting take on the future of paper. It's nanotech.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:11 AM   #8
cassle
Enthusiast
cassle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, iPhone
in the year 2096??? Oh my, I will be 103 in that year! So even if I'm still alive, I couldn't read all day long with those old eyes.. =__=
cassle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:23 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I'd love to come back to life for an hour in fifty years' time to pop into someone's house for half an hour just to see where technology has taken us. Being a pipe-smoker, hounded by the anti-smoking tobacco nazis, I'd spend the other half hour wandering around a hospital to visit all the old folks there busy dying of nothing. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
AMacD
Al
AMacD doesn't litterAMacD doesn't litter

Location: Bardstown, KY as home base, but RV following the seasons.
Device: Kindle1 and Kindle2 and Palm T|X
"anti-smoking tobacco nazis"... If smokers had not been so damned rude for so long, there would be no need for anti-smoking anything. Take your smelly pipe and stand well downwind, preferably in the middle of lake Superior! Meanwhile, by 2096 I am sure that problem, as well as failing eyesight will be well in the past.
AMacD is offline   Reply With Quote