Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-30-2008, 02:24 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can embed whatever unicode enabled fonts you like, set the base size to whatever size you want, etc. If you want to read primarily non DRM content, the SONY reader is the reader for you. It has the best, cross platform content conversion tools of any reader.
But embedding fonts HORRIBLY slows down page turning.

The only eInk reader which allows you to load whatever fonts you wish is the CyBook Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #17
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But embedding fonts HORRIBLY slows down page turning.

The only eInk reader which allows you to load whatever fonts you wish is the CyBook Gen3.
That's too bad about the slow page turns I've had a look at the libprs500 tools and am impressed... from a quick scan it looks like nice clean code!

I like the Cybook too since its the same size and even a bit lighter, but the page turn button is on the wrong side for me since I hold books with my left hand. I guess maybe I could read in landscape mode, but I'm skeptical about the weight distribution.

Looks like I'll limp along with my Palm until the next generation of Sony reader comes out (hopefully with a faster CPU too; I'd trade speed over battery life any day since slow graphics/resizing/rendering causes enough frustration to make reading unpleasant)
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2008, 02:19 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm left-handed, radius, but read right-handed with my Cybook, holding it one-handed. It's very comfortable to use that way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #19
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Looks like I'll limp along with my Palm until the next generation of Sony reader comes out (hopefully with a faster CPU too; I'd trade speed over battery life any day since slow graphics/resizing/rendering causes enough frustration to make reading unpleasant)
I read ebooks on a Palm OS device, and don't consider it limping.

In my case, it's a Tapwave Zodiac 2, which is an OS 5.27 device with 320x480 screen and two SD slots.

My primary viewer is Plucker, and I have about 3,200 Plucker volumes occupying 1.5GB on a 2GB card. I also have a fair bit in MobiPocket (Thanks for the wonderful Omnibus editions, HarryT!), plus scattered content in eReader, PDF, Palm DOC, zTXT, ACII text, RTF, and Word format. It does require maintianing five viewer applications, but I can read pretty much anything on the device.

I use the Zodiac because I want to do other things besides read ebooks on it. The Zodiac is also my PDA, MP3 player, Video viewer, games device, and pocket reference to everything.

I don't see myself moving to an eInk device. I need color, which eInk does not currently support, and available eInk devices that do other things besides read ebooks like the iRex Iliad are at price points I can't justify.

Next stop for me is likely to be a Nokia N800 if I move at all.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With my 505, I've found I can read one handed using my right or left hand. But, if I was on a bus, I would not read with my left hand as it's not as stable. With my right hand, I hold the cover and the reader and have my thumb over the page turn buttons on the right side of the 505. It's quite easy to hold. And the fast that the cover sticks out to the right actually is a benefit to holding it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2008, 03:39 AM   #21
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I know it is an OLD device but by total luck found a deal on a Sony Clie nx73v.

1. The display is HiRes+ (320x480) and about 4".
2. It has a jog dial on the left side (holding it in portrait orientation) so one handed operation is GREAT. I especially like the one handed page turns when reading in bed at night or while eating lunch, dinner, enjoying some coffee.
3. You can add Wifi with a hack'd driver and a Prism 2.5 based CF NIC. When in Wifi range I use this now to access sites like http://FeedBooks.mobi (all free stuff and well done too!) where I can d/l books directly to the PDA. Same goes for other ebook stores that have mobile friendly access.

4. You can use Memory Stick cards up to 2gb in size.
5. It has all the PDA features I might need and now cannot live w/o.
6. Supports pretty much all the current reader software written for up to Palm OS 5.0
7. It does have built-in voice recording so if that is handy for you it's a nice bonus.
8. Built-in video/still camera though it's just VGA.
9. Instant start-up.
10. Opens last app used when powered on. If it is your reader software then as long as your reader remembers where you left off, it will open the book there. I run Plucker, eReader & Mobipocket and tend to like Mobipocket the best but really have not given eReader a chance.
11. It has a nice fast ARM 200mhz processor. Plenty of speed for movies or reading eBooks. Page turns are instantaneous, even from books on the memory stick.

Drawbacks:

1. It's abandonware...the Clie line is no longer made/supported by Sony.
2. It has some significant compatibility issues in the multi-media area but I can play DIVX movies using TCPMP from a memory stick just fine.
3. It can still be kinda spendy @ $100-$150+ used on eBay.
4. For the most part unless the application supports screen rotation a 3rd party util is needed. And it is annoyingly expensive at about $20.
5. battery changes are a chore but not that bad.
6. Impossible to get a JAVA runtime for it so Opera Mini is out and Netfront Browser is, eh, not so much...holding out hope for Universe web browser which even the buggy beta is amazingly like a desktop browser.

You can also look into the nx80v which has wifi built in and a better built-in camera (both of which are really not too important really.) And I believe the battery is more user replaceable friendly. But it typically still goes for over $200 on eBay...I know, kinda weird.

I can say I have come to really LIKE the wireless ability. And now use it for far more then just book reading. I use it as a remote control of sorts. It has a simple built-in for TV, Stereo & other devices. But I also use PalmVNC to connect to my home media center PC I built. I now can spend 10-minutes (not really but some days...????!!!!!) to setup a new video that if I was not to lazy to walk across the room would take 10-sec...but it's the FUN of it all. But seriously I was looking for a first ebook device and almost ready to pop for the Kindle when it came out then I found this baby at a steal. I am completely thrilled with it as a reader foremost and then all the other things I use it for as there are some GREAT freeware apps out there for it.

I am reluctant to pull the trigger on a dedicated reader even though, much to my surprise, I am in an EVDO RevA area and actually now have the service for my laptop through Millenicom w/o a long term contract. Things that stop me though are numerous. But, mostly I find the cost of most readers unacceptable for such a limited device. I like the Cybook Gen3 and the Kindle the most. But, lust for an Iliad with a usb port so I can connect my EVDO modem to it and have access.

Sorry for sorta rambling but that has been my process and thoughts since I began with the antique Clie from 2004(3??).

If I was in the market I would look at the Nokia N800/N810 though their OS2008 seems to still be evolving. And also like the potential of the new HP iPaq 110/220 series PDA's. I really like the Nokia though...and the N800 can be had for under $200, new if you find the right auction or online source. But I have no clue about the one handed operation of any of those three series of devices.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:06 PM   #22
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I read ebooks on a Palm OS device, and don't consider it limping.
My opinion is basically like yours. I have reading on my Palms (a Pilot5000, Pro, V, Sony Clie, Tungsten T3) since the original release of DOC and then migrated to TealDoc, eReader, iSilo, Mobi and Plucker. Regardless of whether I pick up an ebook reader I will still need/keep a PDA of some sort. Its just that a) Palm font handling is not great, and b) my physical hardware is falling apart so I need a new device of some sort. If it weren't for Alex Pruss, I would have given up long ago.

I've been considering an HP iPaq 210 (nice 624MHz CPU, four inch VGA screen) but I still find it hard to accept Windows Mobile as a PDA OS.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #23
radius
Lector minore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
If I was in the market I would look at the Nokia N800/N810 though their OS2008 seems to still be evolving. And also like the potential of the new HP iPaq 110/220 series PDA's. I really like the Nokia though...and the N800 can be had for under $200, new if you find the right auction or online source. But I have no clue about the one handed operation of any of those three series of devices.
I know what you mean; though in my case I would probably go for a TX over a Sony since its more recent and has better support. I'd trade the camera for faster CPU since that means its easier to watch videos without transcoding.

I haven't seen the new Nokias yet, but I've played with the 770 before, and I didn't like it all that much. I find that coming from Palm, they feel a bit sluggish in the UI and like you have to do more steps to get the same result. Also, they lack any PIM (contacts/datebook etc) out of the box.

For form factor and size is pretty good, but I didn't find reading on their screens any better than on a Palm. I think for me, the Palms' resolution is high enough (with anti-aliased fonts).

One thing I did like is the web browser on the Nokias seems far better than on Palms from what I've seen.

I haven't seen Fbreader on one though, and might change my mind if its really that great.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #24
radius
Lector minore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With my 505, I've found I can read one handed using my right or left hand. But, if I was on a bus, I would not read with my left hand as it's not as stable. With my right hand, I hold the cover and the reader and have my thumb over the page turn buttons on the right side of the 505. It's quite easy to hold. And the fast that the cover sticks out to the right actually is a benefit to holding it.
I tried carrying a DVD case with me to simulate reading (since its around the same size [got some strange stares on the bus though]) and I think using the buttons on the right side might be OK if the cover doesn't flop around, but reading with the left hand probably depends too much on the weight balance for me to know without actually holding one.

I have to say, the Sony is the device I would most like people to *see* me reading with. It looks soooo nice.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:06 AM   #25
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I know what you mean; though in my case I would probably go for a TX over a Sony since its more recent and has better support. I'd trade the camera for faster CPU since that means its easier to watch videos without transcoding.
I got the Zodiac when my Tungsten E bit the dust. My specs for a new device were 320x480 screen, more RAM, and faster CPU. Anything else was gravy. The TX wasn't out yet. Correspondence on a Palm oriented site with another Zodiac owner convinced me it might be an applicable solution, so I bought one on eBay. I subsequently bought two more, when Tapwave's former authorized service center had a sale to clear out their warehouse: a unit originally prepped as in in-store demo unit, reflashed with a production ROM, and a unit that had been returned on an RMA as a spare parts device.

The Zodiac 2 has the large screen, a 200mhz processor, and 128MB of RAM. The big win from my perspective is two SD card slots. I have a 2GB card in each, but with a FAT32 driver transplanted from a LifeDrive, I can handle 4GB non-SDHC cards when I need more capacity. One slot is SDIO, and I have an SD Wifi card I can go online with, though I seldom do.

Quote:
I haven't seen the new Nokias yet, but I've played with the 770 before, and I didn't like it all that much. I find that coming from Palm, they feel a bit sluggish in the UI and like you have to do more steps to get the same result. Also, they lack any PIM (contacts/datebook etc) out of the box.
Lack of a good PIM solution was what kept me from going for the 770. If it couldn't replace my PDA, I couldn't justify it.

Quote:
For form factor and size is pretty good, but I didn't find reading on their screens any better than on a Palm. I think for me, the Palms' resolution is high enough (with anti-aliased fonts).
The Nokia does 800x600. On the Zodiac, I use FonthackV to remap fonts to custom versions to fairly good effect.

Quote:
One thing I did like is the web browser on the Nokias seems far better than on Palms from what I've seen.
Palm web browsers leave a lot to be desired. On the Zodiac, I have Tapwave Web (based on Palmsource V2), Novarra nWeb (which has an actual Zodiac version), Mobirus Xiino, Opera Mini, and a version of Access Netfront 3.1 ripped from a Clie. NetFront is about the best of the lot, but it requires a couple of third-party utilities to run properly. Novarra apparently no longers offers nWeb as a retail product: they were basically a B2B company licensing software to device manufactures anyway. Mobirus seems to have gone belly up: their domain is now in the hands of a clink harvester. The software is still in various repositories but can't be registered. Opera Mini is a Java applet, and requires IBM's JVM for Palm devices. The most recent JVM for PalmOS won't run on the Zodiac, so Opera Mini works, but not as well as on the TX or other currrent Palm device.

I wouldn't call any of them good, and Blazer offered on Palm devices is apparently no better.

The browser on the 770 is a version of Opera. The 800 and 810 have one based on Mozilla code. Both are considerable improvements over Palm offerings.

Quote:
I haven't seen Fbreader on one though, and might change my mind if its really that great.
I haven't either, but if it's any good on the Nokia tablet, it's a powerful incentive.
______
Dennis
Old 02-04-2008, 07:38 AM   #26
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I have been reading on Symbian devices for a long time, initially with the SonyEricsson P900, now with the SE P1i, and I love it.

It's a solid phone, and a solid PDA in a form that is just a little bigger than your average candybar phone.

Install Mobipocket and you're set.

The p1i lets you dim the screen, so when you read at night, you won't strain your eyeballs.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #27
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Lack of a good PIM solution was what kept me from going for the 770. If it couldn't replace my PDA, I couldn't justify it.
I just ordered an N810 and it will probably replace my Palm T5 and will be used as laptop replacement on trips. So it will be interesting to see how much of the PIM functionality I can get. Now on my T5 I really just use the address book and the calender but not so much.

It takes at least an 8G card so it will be the same amount of memory or more compared to your Zodiac. Also the resolution is 800x480.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #28
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
I have been reading on Symbian devices for a long time, initially with the SonyEricsson P900, now with the SE P1i, and I love it.

It's a solid phone, and a solid PDA in a form that is just a little bigger than your average candybar phone.

Install Mobipocket and you're set.

The p1i lets you dim the screen, so when you read at night, you won't strain your eyeballs.
How large is the screen?

I have Mobi installed on a Palm OS 5 device with a 320x480 screen. I normally read in landscape mode, using a converted 10pt Cambria TrueType font. I get 15 lines per screen (or 17 if I collapse the Toolbar) at 10 - 12 words per line using standard single-line spacing.

That's a comfortable reading size for me.
_____
Dennis
Old 02-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #29
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
How large is the screen?

I have Mobi installed on a Palm OS 5 device with a 320x480 screen. I normally read in landscape mode, using a converted 10pt Cambria TrueType font. I get 15 lines per screen (or 17 if I collapse the Toolbar) at 10 - 12 words per line using standard single-line spacing.

That's a comfortable reading size for me.
_____
Dennis
240x320, the physical 6,7cm diagonal sounds rather small, but I can comfortably read with 13-14 lines at about 6-8 words per line.
Then again, it's good that I scroll ahead a page about every 20 Seconds, because Mobipocket doesn't take over the Keylock and Screendimmer that activates after 30 Seconds

It's a small screen, definately nothing like the true Readers out there. But it'll keep up with any Palm, and since you're interested in converged devices, I suggest you take a look at a p1i in a store. I took a picture, and with the flash it really looks smudged, heh heh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1i-mobi.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	9967  
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #30
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
240x320, the physical 6,7cm diagonal sounds rather small, but I can comfortably read with 13-14 lines at about 6-8 words per line.
Then again, it's good that I scroll ahead a page about every 20 Seconds, because Mobipocket doesn't take over the Keylock and Screendimmer that activates after 30 Seconds

It's a small screen, definitely nothing like the true Readers out there. But it'll keep up with any Palm, and since you're interested in converged devices, I suggest you take a look at a p1i in a store. I took a picture, and with the flash it really looks smudged, heh heh
That's not bad, considering.

I'm not interested in a converged device. I don't care for the fundamental compromise in form factor. I simply want a larger screen than a cell phone will have, because a large enough screen makes the phone too large. I have no problem carrying a phone and a PDA. All I need the phone to do is place and receive calls, and be able to share the address book with the PDA.

I'm not interested in a dedicated reader because I don't want to carry phone, PDA, and reader. I want my ebook viewer to do other things as well, and my PDA is a good compromise.

Any example of Mobi on my device is this, part of the contents of the Complete Works of Plato created for Mobi by HarryT:

______
Dennis