Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #16
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
Ah yes... I was getting "definition not found" for all the words I selected and assumed that there was no dictionary behind it.

Youre right tho... its difficult to select the kanji composites and impossible to select a single character.Let's hope this is something that will be addressed in the near future.
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #17
Geco
Zealot
Geco doesn't litterGeco doesn't litter

Device: Touch, Aura
Have you ever noticed that even LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org Writer or Microsoft Word or similar programs, never had a Japanese dictionary? I think it's because its' difficult to identify Japanese words due to homophones, kanji and kana differences and so on.
Geco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #18
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
In MS Word, you can use the "translate" or "look up" feature to look up meanings of words (in Japanese). It is the case that this uses an online look-up as opposed to a built-in dictionary however. I'm not aware of an equivalent feature in Libre Office.

I always assumed that this was due to the fact Open/Libre Office was an open source application and that the lack of a "loo-up" dictionary was due to licensing issues. (probably not).

As for clearly identifying words, its certainly practically impossible to automatically identify a word in Japanese (no spaces) but it's always possible to identify it by selecting it.

The current problem w/ KT firmware 2.0 is that its almost impossible to select a single character by drag-selecting it. Its a significant issue but the fact that KT2.0 now has a built-in dictionary is a giant step in the right direction.
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #19
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Maybe not directly related. When it comes to translation, I find Google's Translate tool very useful. I do a lot of Japanese-English translations, and Translate provides me with choices to play with.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote