Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #31
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooorm View Post
Oh really? Weird!

Not that i know much of Web SQL Databases, just the things i read on/in diveintohtml5.org/storage
Nice article.

It is a very complex topic and depends of each application. But local or client storage it is just not possible in all cases. That's why we have SQL, Oracle, MySQL, etc. Because performance, security and limited local space, SQL is usually the way to go. The data is outside, the client reads it via SQL queries or download at will.

You can trick that a bit and move your code to the client side, but again, will depend of what are you trying to accomplish, browser capabilities, etc.

I don't know exactly how this new system works, but the main database is not locally. The client, Safari or Chrome on this case, need to connect and read all your data (book's collection on this example). Later you will decide what to download locally and the additional information that is needed in order to enhance that experience is kept locally too.

Books are usually small in size (not the ones I like though, ironically, SQL books) so moving the balance to the client side, won't hurt on this case I think.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #32
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Let's not confuse things.

Flash is suitable or used for animations and multimedia content. We are talking about databases and books here.
According to its fans...for everything. But wrong forum.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #33
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
And it is particularly nice to have this in case Apple ever goes through with its earlier plan to require in-app purchasing for apps that permit purchasing outside the app.
That's my main fear.

If Apple decides to ban Kindle for iOs completly, I will miss some features that we have there already, like dictionary. Also, I have not tested all my books on this new Kindle Cloud reader, so not so sure how they look like.

Anyway, so far so good ... and being a browser alternative certainly removes some hardware dependencies, like ability to install or download the whole app. locally, which some people can't do at work, for example, or at certain Internet Coffee places.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #34
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
According to its fans...for everything. But wrong forum.
Well ...

It is technical stuff you know, not all people know or should know it. Also, I am not in favor or one or the other (Flash vs HTML5), but I can't deny the fact that Flash being used by many websites, still. Even while using my iPad I hit the wall and find some Flash videos and Flash content on Amazon or while browsing, and it is kind of annoying.

But back to the main topic, it is good that this is basically a browser alternative. There are less dependencies involved and I believe gives you more flexibility as well.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #35
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is that "Add a Book" link on Ibis new? I did not see it the other day...
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #36
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
If Apple decides to ban Kindle for iOs completly.
Never. That would be unprecedented.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #37
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Never. That would be unprecedented.
Trust me!

"Never" should not be a word that we can use in IT world. I never imagined Oracle in a direct business confrontation with HP, like we are now, but it happened.

Companies can change their main business objectives depending of what their leaders believe is good or not in a long term way.

Nothing surprises me now in the Tablet and ebook world.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #38
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I'm supposed to know to go to "reader.amazon.com" to read my books on the iPad in html5. But I'm not supposed to know how to go to amazon.com to buy my kindle books to read in the kindle app?

Weird.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #39
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Quote:
I think you missed the point.

Your Amazon books are there already. This is another way to read those.
Perhaps. But what is the advantage of being tied to an active, online wifi or 3G signal when I can read it offline and turn wifi/3G off and extend battery charge life? One of the big advantages of the eInk screens is that they will run for weeks on a charge. With wifi turned ON, that length is cut roughly in half.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #40
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
Perhaps. But what is the advantage of being tied to an active, online wifi or 3G signal when I can read it offline and turn wifi/3G off and extend battery charge life? One of the big advantages of the eInk screens is that they will run for weeks on a charge. With wifi turned ON, that length is cut roughly in half.
Great comment.

With this move, Amazon can accomplish some of these ...

-Move or motivate more people towards Amazon ebooks (buying)
-Ability to read on almost any hardware (all computers have a browser)
-Allowing iPad users to buy directly from the app.

Remember, Amazon is actually a retailer. They make money selling books. The easiest that is for someone to click and buy a book, the better for Amazon and bigger their revenue. Make it "fool proof" to buy a book, as easy as possible, that's how all this instant gratification and ebook fever started

This will also boost the synergy between devices: PC, Mac, Kindle, iPad, etc. You can read Apple books on iPads and Apple devices, but you cannot on a regular PC, as far as I know. Better yet, ability to sync, remember pages.

The browser is probably the most common interface and software we do have in the IT world. All operating system with GUI has one. Making an application available via browser removes the hassle of having to download and install software locally.

This is a "right hook" against Apple and their silly rule of removing the "purchase button" from Kindle for iOs.

Regarding turning wifi off, most iPad users don't. Unless you are on a limited 3G plan or don't have a wifi only iPad, people opt for keeping wifi on and battery life won't change too much. The same goes for netbooks. If you have a netbook, you don't usually turn wifi on and off to save battery, people usually keep it on.

Last edited by jocampo; 08-10-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #41
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Regarding turning wifi off, most iPad users don't. Unless you are on a limited 3G plan or don't have a wifi only iPad, people opt for keeping wifi on and battery life won't change too much. The same goes for netbooks. If you have a netbook, you don't usually turn wifi on and off to save battery, people usually keep it on.
I have an unlimited 3G plan that I got WAY back in the day, but most of my friends don't -- the price keeps going up on those plans. The 50 MB cache will help, but that's really not a LOT of books -- my Calibre library is several gigs...

I do think this is a smart move by Amazon -- just wish there was a bigger cache. Is that limited by Apple or can Amazon expand that later?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #42
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
It's a 50MB limit for Web Apps in iOS, for now-is that the limit you are hitting?
Just tried it on Ubuntu 10.04. Every book I try to download to read offline fails with an error message about running out of space. Oh well...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #43
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I do think this is a smart move by Amazon -- just wish there was a bigger cache. Is that limited by Apple or can Amazon expand that later?
Right now that's an iOS limit, so Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Just tried it on Ubuntu 10.04. Every book I try to download to read offline fails with an error message about running out of space. Oh well...
I remember the original Chrome had a 5MB limit, but I'm sure they've opened it up since then-must be some other issue?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #44
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
kjk, thank you for the answer.

That's a shame, imho. 50 MB is several books, but nowhere near most people's entire Kindle library. Yes, you can always get WiFi or 3G somewhere if you're truly desperate, but it's a convenience thing. I still feel that all this should be incorporated into a kick-butt android commercial, because it's getting -- imho -- silly.

Next week, in order to buy a Kindle book on the iPad you'll have to go the Lisbeth Salander route: Go to the website of an obscure photographer, click a specific letter on the page, put in your ID and password, click another letter in the error message, put in another password...
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #45
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Quote:
Great comment.

With this move, Amazon can accomplish some of these ...

-Move or motivate more people towards Amazon ebooks (buying)
-Ability to read on almost any hardware (all computers have a browser)
-Allowing iPad users to buy directly from the app.
I guess I still don't get it, except maybe for #3 above. On a PC, there has been the Kindle 4 PC reader (an eBook-specific browser if you want to call it that) available ever since the Kindle came out. I still download books to my PC for easier cataloging and control and then use my home wifi to transfer them to the Kindle of my choice. The Kindle 4 PC program (I don't like calling it an "app") does exactly that. I suspect it would run on any Apple computers that emulate PC software. If you're using a tablet, your mileage may vary if the K4PC won't run on the tablet. But with the pathetic battery life of the larger, heavier backlit tablets, you wouldn't get much reading time before having to find an outlet to plug in. I don't find them to be viable reading devices if for no other reason.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote