Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #46
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Titanium backup, as far as I know, only backs up the apps and their data, but not all of the important system data, so I think you would be better off right now editing the update.zip to make it take, or even pushing the files via adb if that's even possible... ill try some stuff out later today and see if we can get it fixed...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #47
mr_ed
Connoisseur
mr_ed began at the beginning.

Device: been e-reading since Handspring's first PDA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
Titanium backup, as far as I know, only backs up the apps and their data, but not all of the important system data....
I was thinking along those lines too, though trying a Titanium probably wouldn't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
Mr Ed, can you get an Ermine virgin PE titanium?I could restore this and if works I can than use the update to Dingo.
"Updating" would sort of mean dingo to ermine, wouldn't it? Which do you want to wind up with?

-- Ed
mr_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #48
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
Right here we are. I installed Rom Manager from clockwork. Did not installed the mod, just run the rom manager. This has a repair permission which will be the equivalent of the Repair permissions on Mac. And surprise! I do have a fully working tablet now. all the lcd side applications are working perfect, no crash with force close, and seems quicker than before. Also another surprise, the market is working perfect, so the edit of build.pro is NOT necessary, was a stupidity, really.
But the entourage apps are not working, the journal and the reader so I can only use it as a standard tablet, still better than nothing. any luck with a titanium backup from ermine for those apps? may be I get the update working after this.

Last edited by vicinc; 06-17-2011 at 04:15 PM.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #49
mr_ed
Connoisseur

Sounds like you could Titanium Backup your user-installed apps, re-install ermine, and restore the apps if necessary. Or Titanium, wipe everything with a dingo install, re-up to ermine and restore.

It is ermine that you want to end up with, isn't it?

-- Ed
Old 06-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #50
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

yes I want to end with ermine. but I want the option to have proper recovery. I can not reinstall dingo and ermine, the menu/rotate still does not work for me. so as a temporary solution can anybody do me a titanium backup of a virgin PE ermine. I will have a fully working system. The journal and reader does not work yet, so is just a dumb 7 inch tablet defeating the reason we got it for. I open a bounty for new rom development, hope we get more donors and more people interested in this Rom development.
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #51
mr_ed
Connoisseur

Quote:
menu/rotate still does not work for me.
Oh. I assumed that got fixed.

-- Ed
Old 06-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #52
vicinc
Guru

no it did not!
Old 06-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #53
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Also another surprise, the market is working perfect, so the edit of build.pro is NOT necessary, was a stupidity, really.
But the entourage apps are not working, the journal and the reader so I can only use it as a standard tablet, still better than nothing. any luck with a titanium backup from ermine for those apps? may be I get the update working after this.
Sorry to hear that you are still having problems with the entourage apps... Also, I don't know of any guide that said that editing the build.prop was necessary, in fact I think most guides said to only do so if you NEEDED to, and that you should understand the risks before doing so.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems as though you are getting angry at this community for not providing you with everything you are requesting and for not solving this problem that you brought on yourself. There are TONS of disclaimers on every step of installing the market, by proceeding you should have understood the possible consequences. Again, sorry if I'm wrong but your posts are starting to take a bit of an angry tone(this is the internet though, and sometimes these things don't quite come across as we intend).

EDIT: I've been looking through the update.zip for ermine, and it does look as though you could just copy files over(thats pretty much all the shell file does after all), also, you could try copying the build.prop located in the update.zip(in tools.zip) into your system folder and trying the menu + rotate method again, it would at least rule out the build.prop as whats stopping the update...

Last edited by emusan; 06-17-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #54
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Just to backup what emusan said . . . except I'm going to be a little less tactful . . .

Editing the build.prop is a pretty safe operation. As long as you do everything right, changing the device fingerprint isn't going to mess up your machine. Reading through your posts, I can't help but feel we were missing some information, which really prevented us from helping you. I mean, you were able to boot well enough to install ROM Manager? And to realize that the permissions in your apps were messed up? When did that happen?

Finally, the reason for editing the fingerprint has nothing to do with "getting the market to work." Playing with the fingerprint might affect the kinds of apps you see in the store. The market uses the fingerprint to determine the identity of your device and then filters the available applications. If you check the store again, you might notice that your app selection is limited (or maybe not, but this is certainly what people have reported when using other tablets).

Finally, I'm mystified as to why your restore won't work. Certainly, all of us can't anticipate having that kind of problem. As I said, I've messed this thing up twice, and I was easily able to revert back to Dingo and then update back to Ermine. The fact you are having trouble with that procedure sucks, but the only reason I included those instructions is because I figured there is always a way to restore the device; in your case, that happens to be false, but that's not anything I could have predicted. There has to be something pretty serious wrong for your device not to properly restore.

Last edited by kennyminot; 06-18-2011 at 12:52 AM.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:08 AM   #55
vicinc
Guru

I am not getting angry to the community, not at all. I hoped I could get some help, and progress everybody knowledge. What I discovered I shared with everybody. I understand what are you saying about build.prop. I restore the build.pro with the one in the ermine update, this is how I get the device working back. Indeed certain apps do not show up with the device fingerprint as it is now. Repairing the permissions helped with all the force close which I share again, if anybody has a problem like this could use this. The fact that I can not use the entourage apps has something to to with those apps being corrupted and needed reinstall. the easy way to do this is to get a titanium backup copy. I can not understand why the update procedure does not work, something got corrupted there, i just hoped somebody will help me and if somebody in the future has the same problem will have a procedure here.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #56
emusan
lol

Ok, sorry for misinterpreting your posts. I think that your problem with the entourage apps isn't with the apps themselves, but rather with the esi libraries, which you should be able to copy from the update.zip, I'll look through it later today to see which files you will need from it and where they should be copied, but you can try some yourself until then.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #57
vicinc
Guru

I will try to copy those from ermine update and update you shortly. Still the update procedure not working is making me mad. just an idea. the over the air updates were done in android isn't it? I am thinking if there is a way to change the entourage servers in the settings to another server where we can have the ermine or dingo update so we can upgrade or downgrade over the air if the menu/rotate procedure does not work?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #58
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Apps

Thanks for clearing things up, vicinc.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but I uploaded two things: my Titanium Backup folder, where I tried to "backup" basically anything related to Entourage, and the apk files from the system folder. You might try to install the *.apk files manually and see what happens.

Hmmm . . . having trouble uploading . . . send me an e-mail at kennyminot@gmail.com and I'll send you the files.

K

Last edited by kennyminot; 06-18-2011 at 10:51 AM.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #59
vicinc
Guru

many thanks to Kenny who is a real gentleman. Got the files and start cracking it. I will report on the results.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #60
vicinc
Guru

Restored the system folder from ermine update.zip. Restored everything. Still not boot recovery or edge apps working. Then restored from Kenny titanium backup. Still no edge apps working. when pressing the Journal and Reader nothing happens. No crash or anything. also also entourage background services are working. Just wondering is my storage landscape is screwed somehow. Can you Kenny do a screen dump or storage landscape?
Attached my file structure from droidexplorer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	491.5 KB
ID:	72987  

Last edited by vicinc; 06-18-2011 at 02:05 PM.