Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
Sethman
Enthusiast
Sethman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Curiosity ? What is ADB and why do I need it?

I've been reading a little about ADB and that it gets enabled in a rooted nook. Also that there's a bug in the latest 1.1 autonooter to keep it active.

Is there a reason why most people would ever need to use it? Also in order to use it, is it done from the nook. Or is it done via your PC with the nook connected?

I've seen different scripts all over the place and I'm just curious about it.

Thanks to all those program gurus out there.

Seth
Sethman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
ADB (Android Debug Bridge) is basically a way to access the OS command line of your android device from another computer (via USB or wireless connection). It can be helpful for changing settings or troubleshooting your device when things go awry. To use, you need the android SDK (or adb parts of it) on your PC and your Nook also needs to support it.

However, there is almost always another way to do the same thing. Root Explorer (a paid app) can access the system filesystem and change filenames and basic permissions. Terminal emulators can issue command line commands.

Rooting on the Nook is mature enough now that it is rarely needed.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
Sethman
Enthusiast
Sethman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Thanks. Sounds like Root Explorer might be the way to go, if I needed it. No PC needed then.

Seth
Sethman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Yes, I've definitely found Root Explorer to be week worth the money. Highly recommended!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote