Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
DairyKnight
Connoisseur
DairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with others

Device: PRS-505
ePub with external font

Inspired by thawk from hi-pda forum, I found we could actually link *any* font from an epub file.
Just put the following script:
@font-face {
font-family: "Freestyle Script";
src:url(res:///Data/FONT/FREESCPT.TTF);
}
in the CSS and put your font at FONT/FREESCPT.TTF of internal storage.
And actually it supports *any* unicode locale. (Fonts on MS is also possible.)

So no more font embedding. There's no 'Formatting' for ePub and it turns much faster than PDFs.
DairyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyKnight View Post
Inspired by thawk from hi-pda forum, I found we could actually link *any* font from an epub file.
@font-face {
}

So no more font embedding. There's no 'Formatting' for ePub and it turns much faster than PDFs.
This is nice. Thanks for the information.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Question Can't get it working

Has anyone got this working?
I've converted a plain text file using any2epb and editted the content\resources\index_0.css file to add:
@font-face {
font-family: "Monotype Corsiva";
src:url(res:///DATA/FONT/MTCORSVA.TTF);
}
I've created DATA\FONT and FONT in the root of the internal memory and copied the font file into both.
But when I recopy and open the book there is no change from the original version. I know the css file is being used, as if I add:
body
{
font-size: 24;
}
Then the text size changes.
I've tried several different fonts.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited by murraypaul; 10-14-2008 at 10:17 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
src:url(res:///DATA/FONT/MTCORSVA.TTF);
Quote:
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Capitalization is relevant[*]. The Reader-internal path is "Data", with just the initial 'D' capitalized. Then created just 'FONT' in the Reader-internal memory and put your font-file there.
[*] But only up through the 'Data' part. It's complicated.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:36 AM   #5
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Capitalization is relevant[*]. The Reader-internal path is "Data", with just the initial 'D' capitalized. Then created just 'FONT' in the Reader-internal memory and put your font-file there.
[*] But only up through the 'Data' part. It's complicated.
Thanks. That (plus realising I hadn't properly understood what the CSS needed to do) has fixed the problem.

This is pretty impressive, it seems like it might be slightly slower paging forward several pages in a go than LRF or and ePub without a font specified, but it is hard create a fair comparison because there is now a different amount of text on the page.

I hadn't realised how much faster ePub was to open and change text size than LRF either, not having to recalculate the number of pages makes a huge difference, from 10 seconds to open to 1, from 22 seconds to change font size to around 6.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:09 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
I hadn't realised how much faster ePub was to open and change text size than LRF either, not having to recalculate the number of pages makes a huge difference, from 10 seconds to open to 1, from 22 seconds to change font size to around 6.
[assuming you don't use embedded fonts]I believe that you still have not realised of how to upload LRF files to your reader properly

You have to use eBook Library software to upload LRF files to your reader. Then change of text size takes 1 second. Open any LRF book takes 1-2 seconds as well, if you use eBook Library software to upload the files.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
[assuming you don't use embedded fonts]I believe that you still have not realised of how to upload LRF files to your reader properly

You have to use eBook Library software to upload LRF files to your reader. Then change of text size takes 1 second. Open any LRF book takes 1-2 seconds as well, if you use eBook Library software to upload the files.
I use Calibre, the eBook Library software is unusable if you want to manage large numbers of books in collections, as you have to assign each one manually. I've also had large LRF files (1000+ pages) that when added through eBook Library wouldn't open on the reader at all (Invalid Page error), but would open if added from Calibre and paginated on the reader.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyKnight View Post
@font-face {
}

Thinking about it, you could just have all your books refer to //Data/FONT/default.ttf, can then you could easily change the font globally without any concern about replacing the builtin fonts.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:

Unless, of course, you use a Mac. Or Linux. Or just don't trust Sony's software on your PC (remember root-kits?). Or...

Seriously, your 'proper' is utterly unavailable to me. I refuse to install Windows on my Mac just to run Sony's eBook Library software.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Unless, of course, you use a Mac. Or Linux. Or just don't trust Sony's software on your PC (remember root-kits?). Or...

Seriously, your 'proper' is utterly unavailable to me. I refuse to install Windows on my Mac just to run Sony's eBook Library software.

Xenophon
I fully appreaciate your situation and has nothing against, however,
Quote:
Makes it sound as if epub is a lot faster than lrf.

My point is that lrf is as fast or faster than epub. If you or anyone else refuse to use sony software, it is not Sony reader or LRF fault. They operate just fine. If for some reason it takes so long to open lrf vs. epub it is a user error.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
My point is that lrf is as fast or faster than epub. If you or anyone else refuse to use sony software, it is not Sony reader or LRF fault. They operate just fine. If for some reason it takes so long to open lrf vs. epub it is a user error.
Wrong. In LRF case, you need to pre-process the file to get any sort of decent speed, so I guess that they cache the different sizes somewhere. This is not suitable for any file format where the user could select a different font family or size.

And if you're not using Windows, it's not "refusing to use sony software": you don't have much of a choice.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
1. Wrong. In LRF case, you need to pre-process the file to get any sort of decent speed, so I guess that they cache the different sizes somewhere. This is not suitable for any file format where the user could select a different font family or size.

2. And if you're not using Windows, it's not "refusing to use sony software": you don't have much of a choice.
re: 1
We are not talking about customizing ebook to every whim of any user out there. We are talking about a given gadget with given specifications and features. As long as you use one as you should, it has no speed issues.

re: 2
Just because someone doesn't use Windows, it doesn't make LRF any slower/faster. It is a personal choice.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #13
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
As long as you use one as you should, it has no speed issues.
Excuse me if I don't agree with your or Sony's view on how I should use my device.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Excuse me if I don't agree with your or Sony's view on how I should use my device.
When you make a decision of purchasing something, you read all the specifications/features/system requirements for the device. The manufacturer promises that it will work properly as long as you follow the instructions.
When you know that you cannot use it as a manufacturer advices you to do and you still buy it, then it is your responsibility to avoid problems and if something doesn't work as it should it is again your personal error/problem/issue.

When you buy Sony Reader you accept that it will work as they promise only if you use eBook Library or else you might encounter problems and you are doing it on your own risk.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
astra
The Introvert

I believe it is similar to:

When you pass job interview and accept terms and conditions and being empyed to do the job, you cannot come to your boss in a few days and say: my salary is too low and I don't like doing this particular bit. He will tell you that you agreed of your own volition to do the job and perform up to certain standards and to be paid a specific salary.
If you agreed that you have to start your job at 6 am and you signed the contract, you cannot demand alter it and start at 10 am.

Sony Reader is designed in such a way that you can use LRF file with certain fonts and if they are uploaded with eBook Library the paginating is done by the powerful software+pc vs. small and weak reader
When you are trying to do something different and get issues with LRF speed, it is not LRF's fault. It is your fault that you do not follow the agreement you have made when you bought the gadget including special software as you were well aware you should do when you paid the money.
If you agreed to pay money for a gadget with optimal performance under Windows OS, you cannot now say epub is a lot faster than LRF because it is not.

P.S. btw., it is nothing personal. And I do not work for Sony I am only saying that epub is no faster than LRF