Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #31
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Same thing happened to me, but it turned out mine was named "kBookAssets.PNG" .. capitalization must be exact. Try checking if there were any errors in the name of the file.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #32
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Yeah it worked fine for me. Thanks everyone! My file was named kBookAsset.png. Also make sure you're saving it as a proper png file. I love it! I'm thinking of tinkering with the rest of the file and coming up with some kind of theme system. Thoughts?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #33
SurgE
Serial Bricker
SurgE doesn't litterSurgE doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KSO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Yeah it worked fine for me. Thanks everyone! My file was named kBookAsset.png. Also make sure you're saving it as a proper png file. I love it! I'm thinking of tinkering with the rest of the file and coming up with some kind of theme system. Thoughts?
I think it is quite possible. My current hacks involves putting my "resource" and "font" directories in the /data (the accessible internal memory) portion of the device, which means that I can change my resource files and fonts and have them take effect with a hard reset of the device.

Having said that, having your resource/fonts on /data is pretty dangerous for people with butter fingers. A corrupted/missing resource file will definitely result in a brick, though it can be easily fixed using the firmware update.
SurgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:54 AM   #34
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I screwed up. Mixed kbookassets with kbookicons. Hadn't put the file there at all.

We only need to know how the png is divided for each image, so we know the exact surface we have for each icon. After that, piece of cake.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:59 AM   #35
Peto
Legal Alien

I added one font to the reader, replacing none (just added a font). And then loaded an ebook that used that font, but without embedding it, expecting the file to take it from the Reader. Didn't work.... I guess I am doing it all wrong, but didn't want to ask again without even trying.

What am I doing wrong? what do I have to do if I want all my Reader files to use the same font without having to embed it? Do I have to replace a certain font from the Reader?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:22 AM   #36
SurgE
Serial Bricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
I screwed up. Mixed kbookassets with kbookicons. Hadn't put the file there at all.

We only need to know how the png is divided for each image, so we know the exact surface we have for each icon. After that, piece of cake.
check out "mainStorage.xml"
Old 07-31-2008, 06:28 AM   #37
Peto
Legal Alien

Reflashed twice, first with kBookAssets PNG file and then with kBookAssets.PNG in the same directory as kBookIcons and main..xml Still no joy
Old 07-31-2008, 06:29 AM   #38
Peto
Legal Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurgE View Post
check out "mainStorage.xml"

You are seriously overestimating me in these issues...
Old 07-31-2008, 07:49 AM   #39
macphersondh
Enthusiast
macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
However, to get the official updater to work, you'll need to either unzip & edit a file inside the official flasher (see the post here) to persuade it that the firmware versions are different, or set it into update mode via the Universal Flasher.
I used Update mode from the Universal Flasher but I may have removed the SD card too soon. Now the unit starts up and gives me the message:

"Firmware update did not complete successfully. Please try again."

Tried "pin reset", switching off and on but it keeps coming up with this error regardless of whether the SD card is in or not.

When I connect it to my PC the message changes to:

"Updating firmware now" (unit shows as drive on PB with name "Protected!!") and nothing else happens.

One small step for an intelligent person, one step too far for David!

HELP!

Last edited by macphersondh; 07-31-2008 at 08:00 AM.
macphersondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:48 AM   #40
Peto
Legal Alien

Quote:
Reflashed twice, first with kBookAssets PNG file and then with kBookAssets.PNG in the same directory as kBookIcons and main..xml Still no joy
Do I have to reinstall the new firmware before reflashing again?
Old 07-31-2008, 09:01 AM   #41
SurgE
Serial Bricker

Quote:
Do I have to reinstall the new firmware before reflashing again?
the correct filename is: kBookAssets.png

You do not need to flash the default firmware before u reflash the reader
Old 07-31-2008, 09:03 AM   #42
SurgE
Serial Bricker

Here's my current logo after modding:

I modded the logo to use the playstation 3 logo font :P
Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 AM   #43
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by macphersondh View Post
When I connect it to my PC the message changes to:
"Updating firmware now" (unit shows as drive on PB with name "Protected!!") and nothing else happens.
Run the Sony's firmware updater again.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:34 AM   #44
macphersondh
Enthusiast
macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
How do I run the updater again? The machine just starts up and then goes to the error screen.
macphersondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 AM   #45
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by macphersondh View Post
How do I run the updater again? The machine just starts up and then goes to the error screen.
No, run the /Sony/ Firmware Update app on your Windows PC and connect the Reader via USB.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote