Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #16
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
To each his own. I find it funny you expect a media delivery device to be a generic tablet. Wrong expectation in my book.

So is amazon false advertising there kindle fires here as they tout it as the most advanced TABLET Your saying it's a media player and amazon are saying it's a tablet . so who's wrong ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/

Kindle Fire HD is the world's most-advanced 7" tablet, with a stunning custom HD display, the fastest Wi-Fi, exclusive Dolby audio, powerful processor and graphics engine, 16 GB of storage, and 11 hours of battery life, all backed by the world's best content ecosystem. With Kindle Fire HD, you get instant access to over 22 million films, TV shows, songs, apps, games, books, and magazines.

We're also excited to bring you the new, latest-generation Kindle Fire—upgraded with a faster processor, twice the memory, and longer battery life than the original—all for only £129. We are thrilled to make it available to our customers in the UK for the first time ever.

Both Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD bring you Amazon's massive selection of digital content. With our Amazon Appstore, you'll find all your favourite apps and games such as Angry Birds Space, Skyscanner - All Flights! and Jamie's 20 Minute Meals. The Amazon MP3 Store has over 20 million songs, from bestselling international and British artists. Instantly stream thousands of popular films and TV shows, including Gnomeo & Juliet, Unknown, Desperate Housewives and 24 with a LOVEFiLM Instant subscription. Haven't experienced LOVEFiLM yet? We'll give you a one-month free trial to experience the service for yourself. And as always, you can choose from the over one million books from our Kindle Store.

Not only does Kindle Fire HD feature the most-advanced hardware, it's also a service. When combined with our enormous content ecosystem, unmatched cross-platform interoperability, and standard-setting customer service, we hope you will agree that Kindle Fire HD is the best 7" tablet available anywhere, at any price.

Last edited by darksaber35; 09-08-2012 at 06:02 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #17
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
If it's not supposed to have a great selection of Apps on it then it's just a expensive media player,which is very poor in my books.

I find it funny that you defend a company who provides so much less on the premise that people don't need Apps.
I think Amazon wants you to see it as a media player. And you can quibble about whether it's expensive or not, but it wasn't too long ago that I paid $399 for an iPod. (Not an iPod touch; a white iPod with a scroll wheel).
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #18
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I expect that the app store will improve since Amazon wants to compete with Apple. At least, I hope that the app stores improves. I have no idea what it looks like in the US or the UK since I have an iPad.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #19
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
If it's not supposed to have a great selection of Apps on it then it's just a expensive media player,which is very poor in my books.

I find it funny that you defend a company who provides so much less on the premise that people don't need Apps.
There isn't even any media to consume. Over here we won't be getting access to amazon instant streaming services or amazon prime streaming services. All we are getting is a one month free subscription to love film and thereafter the only video content we will have access to is through a love film. Netflix does not work, neither will BBC iPlayer, 4od, itv player, catch up tv or sky go. There is no flash.

In the US the fire works well as a media device and therefore the comparison to a tablet isn't necessary but in the UK it is severely limited.

To be quite honest I don't know why they waited a year to release the fire. People said it was because of the lack of infrastructure but nothing has changed in a year in the UK. All they have done is tacked on lovefilm but that was available a year ago anyway.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #20
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
So is amazon false advertising there kindle fires here as they tout it as the most advanced TABLET Your saying it's a media player and amazon are saying it's a tablet . so who's wrong ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/

Kindle Fire HD is the world's most-advanced 7" tablet, with a stunning custom HD display, the fastest Wi-Fi, exclusive Dolby audio, powerful processor and graphics engine, 16 GB of storage, and 11 hours of battery life, all backed by the world's best content ecosystem. With Kindle Fire HD, you get instant access to over 22 million films, TV shows, songs, apps, games, books, and magazines.

We're also excited to bring you the new, latest-generation Kindle Fire—upgraded with a faster processor, twice the memory, and longer battery life than the original—all for only £129. We are thrilled to make it available to our customers in the UK for the first time ever.

Both Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD bring you Amazon's massive selection of digital content. With our Amazon Appstore, you'll find all your favourite apps and games such as Angry Birds Space, Skyscanner - All Flights! and Jamie's 20 Minute Meals. The Amazon MP3 Store has over 20 million songs, from bestselling international and British artists. Instantly stream thousands of popular films and TV shows, including Gnomeo & Juliet, Unknown, Desperate Housewives and 24 with a LOVEFiLM Instant subscription. Haven't experienced LOVEFiLM yet? We'll give you a one-month free trial to experience the service for yourself. And as always, you can choose from the over one million books from our Kindle Store.

Not only does Kindle Fire HD feature the most-advanced hardware, it's also a service. When combined with our enormous content ecosystem, unmatched cross-platform interoperability, and standard-setting customer service, we hope you will agree that Kindle Fire HD is the best 7" tablet available anywhere, at any price.
I agree and I'm positive that at the conference on Thursday Jeff Bezos said that they wanted the fire to be the best tablet, at the best price, any size, anywhere. So I'd say they are trying to compete in the tablet market.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #21
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
There isn't even any media to consume. Over here we won't be getting access to amazon instant streaming services or amazon prime streaming services. All we are getting is a one month free subscription to love film and thereafter the only video content we will have access to is through a love film. Netflix does not work, neither will BBC iPlayer, 4od, itv player, catch up tv or sky go. There is no flash.

In the US the fire works well as a media device and therefore the comparison to a tablet isn't necessary but in the UK it is severely limited.

To be quite honest I don't know why they waited a year to release the fire. People said it was because of the lack of infrastructure but nothing has changed in a year in the UK. All they have done is tacked on lovefilm but that was available a year ago anyway.
Sound words there from some one who knows what he is talking about

I can honestly say that the vast amount of americans dont have a clue how badly US company's DISCRIMINATE against NONE U.S costumers by only providing less than HALF the service that US customers get but charging us MORE.

EXAMPLE - AMAZON PRIME when i saw amazon prime advertised on the UK amazon website i did not know whether to laugh or cry

http://reverttosaved.com/2011/11/11/...-amazon-prime/

Amazon.com USA (cost: $79—about £49—per year)
Two-day shipping on millions of eligible items
Unlimited streaming of a ton of movies/TV shows through Prime instant videos
A free Kindle book to borrow each month

Amazon.co.uk (cost: £49)
One-day shipping on millions of eligible items

Last edited by darksaber35; 09-08-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Oh you poor things, what if you had to develop your own technology.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #23
darksaber35
Banned

Quote:
We do but Americans always claim they where the first to create it.
Most of your military is using EUROPEAN weapons technology for a start.

Last edited by darksaber35; 09-08-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #24
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't think that Amazon discriminates. I think that Amazon, and other companies, struggle to get the necessary contracts signed to provide the same services overseas as they do in the US. They focus in the US first due to the size of the market and the fact that they have to sign one contract to provide services to 50 states. From what I have seen, Amazon has to sign separate contracts with each country in Europe due to different laws. That is going to take time and is far more challenging.

I am sure that Amazon would love to provide the same packages to folks in Europe, and Asia and Africa and South America, as they do in the US. It would help them make more money and increase their market share.

At least Amazon has made an effort to service other countries. Barnes and Noble is just getting the Nook to the UK and I don't know if that includes the Nook tablet.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #25
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post

...Barnes and Noble is just getting the Nook to the UK and I don't know if that includes the Nook tablet.
Last I saw, they're going to be selling the e-ink readers. I haven't heard what their plans may be for the tablets.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #26
darksaber35
Banned

Quote:
Exactly how old are you ? i laid out hard facts and you try to counter with a childish jibe.

Anyway im going to bed and leave you to defend a service you DONT EVEN HAVE ACCESS TO as your in the US so have no clue how poor the amazon UK App store is at this time.

Last edited by darksaber35; 09-08-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #27
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not here to play silly games. I'm just trying to dispel your incorrect understand and bogus comparisons. Here's an article about what the kindle is, not what you think it is.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3001110/a...according-plan

and a similar NPR story: http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/...ry-kindle-fire

Last edited by kennyc; 09-08-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #28
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
I'm not here to play silly games. I'm just trying to dispel your incorrect understand and bogus comparisons. Here's an article about what the kindle is, not what you think it is.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3001110/a...according-plan
I think you're dropping your bucket down a dry well, Kenny. When the font-shouting started, I knew I was wasting my bandwidth.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #29
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I think you're dropping your bucket down a dry well, Kenny. When the font-shouting started, I knew I was wasting my bandwidth.
I know, sorry, that's exactly why I stopped responding. I thought the above article, though short gives the support for what the Kindle Fire's purpose is, even though that should be clear.

Anyway.....I'm glad to see it beginning to make inroads to the U.K. for those interested.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
Quote:
You do realise that the ARM chips which power the majority of tablets were designed in Cambridge (the real one, not the one in America)?
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote