Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Nook or PB360?

I was really wanting a PB360, especially since I've been having trouble with the Aluratek I got and will be returning. But now, with the announcement of the lower pricing for the Nook, I am seriously reconsidering a wi-fi Nook.

Is it worth the difference in price of the PB360? What all can I do with the wi-fi: can I access bookstores other than B&N? Can I access my local library? Can I get RSS feeds wirelessly or browse the www?

Is the 16 levels of gray on the Nook way better for viewing images, for instance, than the 4 levels of the PB360?

What else makes one or the other worth +/- the $100 difference?
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
The PB 360 is capable of 16 shades. Its uses 16 for showing images. It only uses 4 for text.

The 5 inch display has a higher DPI than the 6" so text is clearer on the 360 than on the Nook.

Nooks wifi will allow you to connect with the B&N store through your wifi at home or from any ATT hotspot. It also allows you to read books while in a B&N store. I believe its hacked to allow some browsing but I am not current on the state of the hacks.

PB 360 has wider format support, wider language support and better firmware. The user community is also making it better all the time. Its also smaller, with that nifty cover that makes it easy to carry with you.

B&N's epub has its own drm flavor. You have to buy drm'd books from them.

PocketBook supports standard Adobe DRM which allows you a much greater choice of bookstores when buying DRM'd epub format.

The nook wifi is 328grams

PocketBook 360 is 180grams

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 06-22-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
It's my understanding that Nook supports both B&N and standadr DRM flavor.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
The PB 360 is capable of 16 shades. Its uses 16 for showing images. It only uses 4 for text.

The 5 inch display has a higher DPI than the 6" so text is clearer on the 360 than on the Nook.

Nooks wifi will allow you to connect with the B&N store through your wifi at home or from any ATT hotspot. It also allows you to read books while in a B&N store. I believe its hacked to allow some browsing but I am not current on the state of the hacks.

PB 360 has wider format support, wider language support and better firmware. The user community is also making it better all the time. Its also smaller, with that nifty cover that makes it easy to carry with you.

PocketBook supports standard Adobe DRM which allows you a much greater choice of bookstores when buying DRM'd epub format.

The nook wifi is 328grams

PocketBook 360 is 180grams

The Nooks wi fi allows you to not only be able to shop and dowload wirelessly on BN website but to also browse the web. I find websites mobile versions works best.

The Nook supports Adobe DRM, e-Pub and not just BN's Drm e-pub, you can shop anywhere that sells e-Pub including local library's.

So No you are not limited to have to only buy books from Barnes and Noble. You can shop where ever you like that supports ePub

It supports open e-Pub

here are the formats it supports

From Barnes & Noble,
Fictionwise & eReader
EPUB
PDB
PDF
Other Sources
EPUB (Non or Adobe DRM)
PDB (Non DRM)
PDF
Graphics: JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP
Audio: MP3

Also with the Nook you can download books from BN wirelessly, no hooking up you device to the computer all the times.
It's very nice when, even when you are at home. Just to sit there shop, buy and done.

Last edited by boswd; 06-22-2010 at 02:28 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
thanks for the corrections
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The two readers aren't really aimed at the same audience.
The PB360 is the size and weight of a CD jewel case and it fits in coat or front pants pockets(if not too tight ). It'll fit in the back pocket but I'm sure we can agree its not a good idea.

The Nook is twice the weight and significantly larger but has the same pixel count so PB360 text is sharper. As pointed out, the PB360 has a snap-on hard cover so you don't have to get a cover separately. Also, reports are that PB360 boots faster, has longer battery life, and is somewhat faster paging.

If wireless is important to you then Nook or Kindle will do you better than PB360.
If browsing mobile sites or playing music in your reader device is important, you want to cross-shop Nook and Kindle, not PB360.

PB360 is solely about reading.
(Mind you, it's got some neat games but I'm sure the hacked Nooks can say the same and Kindle is getting apps Real.Soon.Now.)
Yes, it's small. And yes, it forgoes multimedia bells and whistles and connectivity.
But its not an entry-level device; it isn't intended to be cross-shopped with Kobo or Sony PRS-300 or Aluratec or Jetbook. It is simply a full-featured standalone pocketable reader. Low price is *not* its calling card. (Wouldn't hurt if it got discounted, of course.)

Pocketbook 360 is about end-user formatting overrides, (even on DRM'ed content), installable truetype fonts, mutiple simultaneous dictionaries, customizable appearance and functionality through themes, wallpaper, button remapping, etc. It's a reader that looks and works the way *you* want it to work. (For the most part.)

If you want a good connected reader at a great price (and WiFi is enough) Nook WiFi should be plenty good.
If you want a good connected reader at a good price and need 3G then Kindle or Nook 3G will serve you well.
If you want a great standalone reader at a good (enough) price, then maybe PB360 will suit you. (Or maybe not.)

But it's really a matter of what you value.
Hopefully there will be room in the market for more than one vision of what an ebook reader should be like.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote