Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #121
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
will have alook now.

if it is anything like last time the text will be stupid large.

Gimme sec.

[root@kindle kterm]# ./bin/kterm

surprisingly epic fail.

just fails to start. Digging reveals the above

Further digging:

[root@kindle kterm]# ./bin/matchbox-keyboard

am I missing something? I tried it as keyboard-wide.xml and keyboard.xml.
will check lines endings didnt get mangled or something really stupid by me
Thank you, sorry. I thought maybe with 5.3.2 it would work. Baf has the same error message - or had before. Something about qlib? Maybe all it needs is the right lib it builds against and the Touch's lib is too old?

I will make a version of it with images - but then the one baf made looks good on Touch. And it still would not work one for all. It will always be images too small on PW or too big on Touch. I prefer the nice big symbols as in the screenshots over even the keyboard-wide.xml that cubemike99 made.

What about a version of it that does not depends on libs?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #122
Fvek
Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Touch
Here's a proof-of-concept example of using kterm's -e and -l options to launch a terminal program from KUAL with a custom interface using matchbox-keyboard's layout config, in this case a media player with basic controls (play/pause, forward, back, next, previous, volume +/-, off).

This is just an example and not of much practical use since it just plays *.mp3 in a folder, but the concept can be adapted to other things (or a media player with a better frontend, at least). Hopefully it'll give someone an idea to play with.

No screenshots since I apparently can't do that when kterm's running a program. Just imagine an ugly text-based media player with hastily drawn media buttons under it.

Install:

Put the attached mplayer_test folder in your extensions folder.

You will need mplayer provided by baf from the bottom of the page here: http://www.fabiszewski.net/kindle-xterm/

Put mplayer in any of the following folders (or edit mplayer_test.sh):
/mnt/us/bin
/mnt/us/opt/bin
/mnt/us/extensions/mplayer_test/bin

Put some MP3s in /mnt/us/music (you can change this location in mplayer_test.sh)

Launch it from KUAL.

Notes:

Matchbox-keyboard's README with layout info:
https://github.com/Xlab/matchbox-key...xlab/README.md

There's a bug of sorts with kterm (and xterm before it) where some programs won't execute right if just run with the -e command (e.g. "kterm -e foo" will open kterm but then immediately exit without running foo). I don't know why this is but you can get around this by putting the command in a shell script and using -e on that instead (e.g. "kterm -e foo.sh" where foo.sh contains only "#!/bin/sh [linefeed] foo" -- see attached example for example).
Attached Files
File Type: zip mplayer_custom_layout_test_0.1.zip (7.3 KB, 294 views)
Fvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #123
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvek View Post
Here's a proof-of-concept example of using kterm's -e and -l options to launch a terminal program from KUAL with a custom interface using matchbox-keyboard's layout config, in this case a media player with basic controls (play/pause, forward, back, next, previous, volume +/-, off).
That is an interesting concept. Great idea.

Quote:
No screenshots since I apparently can't do that when kterm's running a program. Just imagine an ugly text-based media player with hastily drawn media buttons under it.
Workaround to make screenshots: use a different terminal window. Does not matter which terminal you issue the screenshot command from. Open program with -e and -l, then ssh into the Kindle via USBNetworking, and issue screenshot command. My earlier version of doing it only in kterm is good when you are on the go, and the PW is the only thing with you. You gotta think outside the box.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #124
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:

This is just an example and not of much practical use since it just plays *.mp3 in a folder, but the concept can be adapted to other things (or a media player with a better frontend, at least). Hopefully it'll give someone an idea to play with.

Install:

Put the attached mplayer_test folder in your extensions folder.

You will need mplayer provided by baf from the bottom of the page here: http://www.fabiszewski.net/kindle-xterm/

Put mplayer in any of the following folders (or edit mplayer_test.sh):
/mnt/us/bin
/mnt/us/opt/bin
/mnt/us/extensions/mplayer_test/bin

Put some MP3s in /mnt/us/music (you can change this location in mplayer_test.sh)

Launch it from KUAL.

Notes:

There's a bug of sorts with kterm (and xterm before it) where some programs won't execute right if just run with the -e command (e.g. "kterm -e foo" will open kterm but then immediately exit without running foo). I don't know why this is but you can get around this by putting the command in a shell script and using -e on that instead (e.g. "kterm -e foo.sh" where foo.sh contains only "#!/bin/sh [linefeed] foo" -- see attached example for example).

I am so testing this.

(I attached the mplayer I will be testing with for future reference )
Attached Files
File Type: zip mplayer.zip (3.81 MB, 302 views)

Last edited by twobob; 02-14-2013 at 09:52 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #125
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
keyboard-wide.xml errors:

<key width="3571" extended="false">
<default display="image:img/squarebracketleft.png" action="{" />
<shifted display="image:img/curlybracketleft.png" action="[" />
<mod1 display="image:img/ecirc.png" action="ê" />
<mod2 display="image:img/cecirc.png" action="Ê" />
</key>
<key width="3571" extended="false">
<default display="image:img/squarebracketright.png" action="}" />
<shifted display="image:img/curlybracketright.png" action="]" />
<mod1 display="image:img/euml.png" action="ë" />
<mod2 display="image:img/ceuml.png" action="Ë" />
</key>
<key width="3571=" extended="false">
<default display="image:img/backslash.png" action="\" />
<shifted display="image:img/pipe.png" action="|" />
</key>
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #126
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznelson View Post
keyboard-wide.xml errors:
Fixed it all up. Made a few beautifying adjustments to key sizes. One liberty I took, well 2 actually. I moved the arrow keys back to inverted T, and added the missing esc key left of the left shift key. This *should* now work on Touch as well (any takers?). It does look good on PW. If this one works on Touch and PW equally well (and shows the buttons the same) it could be a one-fits-all solution.

Note: I removed all the unnecessary extended="false" statements. Matchbox keyboard assumes it is false by default. The normal sized keys I removed all the width="****" statements. Matchbox keyboard considers 1000 as the standard size for a key. Theoretically it should matter not if implicitly specifying width. Unfortunately the calculations of the relative keysizes only works correct if width="1000" is omitted for standard sized keys. Relative sizes are also adjusted - so specifying a width="1500" will make the key 1.5 times as wide as a standard key. Much better to work with to create a layout based on relative position rather than providing hard numbers.

Attached a screenie from PW, and the modified keyboard-wide.xml file. Again, someone please test this on Touch, it is supposed to work on both PW and Touch, and look about the same.

P.S.: If this one works, I will make a us-dvorak layout by simply editing this xml.

P.P.S.: This one is revoked now too. See post #129 for a improved version by baf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	keyboard-wide-fixedup.png
Views:	363
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	101287  

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 02-15-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:43 AM   #127
Fvek
Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Again, someone please test this on Touch, it is supposed to work on both PW and Touch, and look about the same.
Works and looks the same. I can finally type "ls" without it ending up being "la"!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_2013_02_14T22_39_23-0800.png
Views:	379
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	101290  
Fvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:14 AM   #128
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Works and looks the same. I can finally type "ls" without it ending up being "la"!
Thank you for testing, that does look nice. Actually it looks better on the Touch than it does on the PW, as the images are a bit bigger. What matters is rather the size of the buttons to hit, and they look the same now. The writing is still easy to read on PW. Do you mean you hit la by accident, because the buttons were too small before? If that is better now, that is a nice side-effect.

The one thing that I am worried about is the keys that got cut out: pageup/down, home/end, delete, ......

If those are necessary, then maybe they should get their own modifier - similar to the buttons left and right of space. The matchbox keyboard that comes with kterm does support a third modifier.That modifier can work to provide all those keys that got lost from baf's original implementation - plus a way to also add a number key block.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:05 AM   #129
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
The one thing that I am worried about is the keys that got cut out: pageup/down, home/end, delete, ......

If those are necessary, then maybe they should get their own modifier - similar to the buttons left and right of space. The matchbox keyboard that comes with kterm does support a third modifier.That modifier can work to provide all those keys that got lost from baf's original implementation - plus a way to also add a number key block.
Great work!

I suggest such small changes:
  • swap escape and grave keys
  • put pageup/down etc under cursors, delete under backspace, with shift modifier
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_2013_02_15T10_00_17+0100.png
Views:	343
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	101297   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_02_15T10_00_26+0100.png
Views:	361
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	101298  
Attached Files
File Type: xml keyboard-wide.xml (12.8 KB, 443 views)
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 AM   #130
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Interesting find. Maybe this fork works better. Have to try it.
Quote:
This is not a bug. It just runs commands without shell, as xterm. Command kterm -e "/bin/sh -c /bin/ls" should also work, but shell script might be easier to use.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #131
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
Great work!

I suggest such small changes:
  • swap escape and grave keys
  • put pageup/down etc under cursors, delete under backspace, with shift modifier
Oh I like that. That is a good use of the shift key. And the esc-key on top left looks better. And since there is no more keys missing (far as I can tell), it should be good now to replace keyboard-wide.xml and keyboard.xml both with the one you attached. And get rid of the special case handling in bin/kterm.sh. No more need to pick the wide for Paperwhite.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #132
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
Oh I like that. That is a good use of the shift key. And the esc-key on top left looks better. And since there is no more keys missing (far as I can tell), it should be good now to replace keyboard-wide.xml and keyboard.xml both with the one you attached. And get rid of the special case handling in bin/kterm.sh. No more need to pick the wide for Paperwhite.

Great! There is one more thing. For PW, do you use original or enlarged images? If you use enlarged ones we would still have to use two config files, I think.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #133
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Great! There is one more thing. For PW, do you use original or enlarged images? If you use enlarged ones we would still have to use two config files, I think.
No, I never messed with the images. My screenshot is with the default ones, since I was striking to remove all the PW this, TOUCH that hassle. If you want a layout for PW that is seperate, then get rid of the images where you can. That will always look better than trying to fight with images. Make them too big, and all goes real crazy.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #134
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
No, I never messed with the images. My screenshot is with the default ones, since I was striking to remove all the PW this, TOUCH that hassle.
Ok, so I leave one config for both devices. Updated kterm-0.6 package on my page with your file. Thanks a lot!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #135
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Ok, so I leave one config for both devices. Updated kterm-0.6 package on my page with your file. Thanks a lot!
OMG. I am surprised nobody jumped me for it yet. When I posted my layout, it had a typo in the esc-key. You copied that key to a different location (top left) without looking. Now your layout has a non-functioning esc-key.

I put as action: "escpape" and it should be "escape". Did not notice until just now. My apologies.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, terminal emulator