Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #76
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Wikipedia say

I have to say I have never seen a red banana. It must be the "ordinary" stores I frequent.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #77
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I have to say I have never seen a red banana. It must be the "ordinary" stores I frequent.
Actually, the small yellow ones are a lot tastier than the big ones. At least in areas where they grow them. When they are being transported to far off places and stored for months they obviously lose a lot of their flavor. In the US and Europe a lot more emphasis is being placed on how fruit looks than how it tastes. So uniformity is the rule in most supermarkets.

And you will know that banana skin turns black when you put them in the refrigerator or keep them too long?

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-28-2012 at 06:55 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #78
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
In this economy, yes.
not the economy. people dont value pc hardware.

but still pay A LOT for hdtvs - video game consoles - video games - apple hardware - trips

its a value and it not include pc hardware.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #79
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
not the economy. people dont value pc hardware.

but still pay A LOT for hdtvs - video game consoles - video games - apple hardware - trips

its a value and it not include pc hardware.
Actually it seems to me that people are willing to spend money on hardware, but place little or no value on content. How often have we seen people, perhaps typing on their $1500 gaming PC, moan about paying $10 for an eBook?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #80
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Oh yes, manufacturers would all love to use the "This is Model T, it is all we have, take it or leave it" approach. Ford was pulling it off, and Apple is pulling it off right now.
This year Samsung has surpassed Apple and as sold twice as many smartphones as Apple. People want variety.

That said Apple and Ford had a huge fundamental difference in philosophy, Ford believed it was the business' obligation to be as efficient as possible and transfer that cost savings to the customer. The model T was king for years because of it it was the best products at the best price.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #81
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Actually it seems to me that people are willing to spend money on hardware, but place little or no value on content. How often have we seen people, perhaps typing on their $1500 gaming PC, moan about paying $10 for an eBook?
So true, that's something I don't get. Another variation of what you said is people by $500 tablets and find it hard to pay for a $1 app.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #82
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One is probably viewed as an "investment" the other as consumption. Saving $2 on an eBook will over a life time probably pay for that $1500 gaming PC.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #83
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
A 2 dollar SD slot would have solved all the supply problems.
I'm amazed by how many people around here apparently have more experience in mass production, marketing and support of custom hardware than Google or Amazon.

How did you come by this $2 figure? Did you count driver development, software integration and testing, user support, failure rates?

The current tablets without SD slots cost about $50 less than tablets with them. Of course that's not reflective of actual cost, or even only about the SD slot, but it IS reflective of a (successful) marketing plan, and product differentiation, and I doubt anyone's posting of "only $2" on the Internet will have much sway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Who would be foolish enough to buy any kind of entertainment device in this day in age with only 8GB of memory?
No one foolish. Those of us smart enough to understand our own needs, smart enough save money where appropriate, and smart enough to ignore insulting blowhards who think they know better. I apparently am only smart enough for the first two.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #84
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Saving $2 on an eBook will over a life time probably pay for that $1500 gaming PC.
'xcatly. Some of us have to choose what we spend on.

I remember once having a hard time making a friend of mine understand this during a road trip. I wouldn't pay $x do do some interesting tourist attraction.
And he said "How come you'll pay $x for a fancy dinner, but won't for this?"
"Because I wanted the dinner, and if I paid $x for stuff like this, I wouldn't have the $x for the dinner."

Last edited by ApK; 07-28-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #85
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'm amazed by how many people around here apparently have more experience in mass production, marketing and support of custom hardware than Google or Amazon.

How did you come by this $2 figure? Did you count driver development, software integration and testing, user support, failure rates?

The current tablets without SD slots cost about $50 less than tablets with them. Of course that's not reflective of actual cost, or even only about the SD slot, but it IS reflective of a (successful) marketing plan, and product differentiation, and I doubt anyone's posting of "only $2" on the Internet will have much sway.

No one foolish. Those of us smart enough to understand our own needs, smart enough save money where appropriate, and smart enough to ignore insulting blowhards who think they know better. I apparently am only smart enough for the first two.
Not saying you're wrong, but if you are bashing the $2 figure because it has no backing and offering a $50 figure instead, maybe you should offer some backing for your figure.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #86
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Not saying you're wrong, but if you are bashing the $2 figure because it has no backing and offering a $50 figure instead, maybe you should offer some backing for your figure.
I'm just talking about selling prices of available products of comparable popularity and performance.

The Fire and Nexus are $200, the Galaxy Tab, which seemed to be the next most popular 7"Android tablet with comparable power and an SD slot, and the Nook Tablet, are $250.

Certainly there is the newer 8GB Nook, and a slew of cheap under-powered tablets, but they have not captured the market like the Fire, Nexus and SGT have, so don't figure they are comparable.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #87
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
This year Samsung has surpassed Apple and as sold twice as many smartphones as Apple. People want variety.
The sales you mention were mostly the same of one or two or three models across multiple carriers in multiple countries -- which is exactly what Apple does.

Also of note -- they sold more, but Apples sales still grew. So Samsung is taking customers, not away from Apple, but from other vendors. When iPhone sales decline, then Samsung can say that they are hurting Apple.

Until then, all we know is that its a market big and comfortable enough for multiple players - just as it has always been (samsung and apple are the new Nokia, RIM and Motorola)

edit - confirmed
Quote:
“The growth of Samsung and Apple has come partly at the expense of Nokia, whose global smartphone marketshare has halved from 15% to 7% over the past year. This is Nokia’s lowest marketshare level in the smartphone category for a decade.”

Last edited by ScotiaBurrell; 07-29-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:37 AM   #88
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'm just talking about selling prices of available products of comparable popularity and performance.

The Fire and Nexus are $200, the Galaxy Tab, which seemed to be the next most popular 7"Android tablet with comparable power and an SD slot, and the Nook Tablet, are $250.

Certainly there is the newer 8GB Nook, and a slew of cheap under-powered tablets, but they have not captured the market like the Fire, Nexus and SGT have, so don't figure they are comparable.
Well, you're just making up numbers like anybody else. You can't deduce from the price difference between the N7 and the Sammy tab that the $50 are for the SD card. For starters, you don't know the BOM of any of those devices, and how much profit the manufacturer is making. Your $50 figure is way too high; $2 may be too low, but with $50 you are way over the top - that'd be comparable, if not more expensive, than the LCD screen.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #89
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Also of note -- they sold more, but Apples sales still grew. So Samsung is taking customers, not away from Apple, but from other vendors. When iPhone sales decline, then Samsung can say that they are hurting Apple.
That reasoning assumes that the number of possible customers does not increase and that I believe is false so your conclusion does not follow.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #90
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

market grows and grows