Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 07-15-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
angielyons69
angielyons69 began at the beginning.

Device: TREO 650
Bookeen ebook reader

Hey, was looking for a good ebook reader and found this site:

http://www.bookeen.com/Cybook/ebook-...x?selectionm=0

A little pricey, but it is i color and has Wi-Fi capabilities.
angielyons69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:51 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Old technology.

Strike 1: old LCD display. "3 to 5 h of autonomy" according to the web site. I get better eBook reading time from my Palm.
Strike 2: Windows CE 3.0 - which means that it takes about 4-5 times the resources to get anything done as compared to any other embedded technology. That translates into higher price for less ability.
Strike 3: No dedicated memory card slot. So you need to give up other expandability to get more memory. Plus PCMCIA slots tend to take more power than a dedicated slot, meaning even less battery time.

The simple fact that this thing comes with a modem (who uses those anymore?) says this thing is way out of date.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Hi,

Strike 4: Heavy; an ebook reader should be usable one handed and should not weigh more than 500 grams.
You can get very good used tablets for 600$ or less that are much better than the Cybook if you can put up with the weight and low battery life.

Liviu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
Old technology.

Strike 1: old LCD display. "3 to 5 h of autonomy" according to the web site. I get better eBook reading time from my Palm.
Strike 2: Windows CE 3.0 - which means that it takes about 4-5 times the resources to get anything done as compared to any other embedded technology. That translates into higher price for less ability.
Strike 3: No dedicated memory card slot. So you need to give up other expandability to get more memory. Plus PCMCIA slots tend to take more power than a dedicated slot, meaning even less battery time.

The simple fact that this thing comes with a modem (who uses those anymore?) says this thing is way out of date.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:48 AM   #4
Fitzwaryn
Connoisseur
Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angielyons69
Hey, was looking for a good ebook reader and found this site:

http://www.bookeen.com/Cybook/ebook-...x?selectionm=0

A little pricey, but it is i color and has Wi-Fi capabilities.
I got tired of waiting for the Sony Reader and there are many documents, especially PDFs with images and maps that would never be readable on the small screens of systems like the Iliad or the Sony so I got one of the Ebooks.

I've been VERY pleased with it. It handles a wide range of formats like pdbs, PDFs. It will display pretty much everythign except .lit format.

(I don't even use my Ebookwise anymore and my fiancee has appropriated it for her own use.)

The screen is large and easily readable and while I ordered it with the wireless I never use that. It has a 256mb pcm/cia card that I just plug that into my laptop and simply copy files to like a hard drive. Then I can plug it back into the Ebook, copy the file into memory and then pull the card to lower the power usage.

With the contrast turned down a bit you still get excellant screen quality and sveral hours of battery life. I commonly use it for 2-3 hours sitting in an office waiting. I got two power supplies. one for the office and one for home. I keep one by the bed and I just plug it in when I'm reading.

No it's not as portable and light as the Sony or the Iliad or my Ebookwise and like any lcd screen it does poorly in sunlight or outside, but it has features they don't which make it a good buy.

I'll still buy the Sony Reader or something similar when available for my casual reading but with the large color screen and the pdf capability the Bookeen Ebook is a wonderful adjunct to an E-Ink device.

Bottom line is that even once I get a Sony Reader of comparable device, I'm quite certain I'll continue to use the Ebook regularly.
Fitzwaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
petiteile
petiteile began at the beginning.

for me i have the cybook and the iliad and i prefer the cybook it's a good reader because i can read in the night
petiteile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2006, 12:47 PM   #6
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
My business partner's wife has demacular degeneration. I suggested an ebook reader because of the resizable fonts. She did not like the Sony Reader because of its lack of contrast. They are going to get the Cybook instead.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Nothing is for everyone. I'm glad she did find a device that suits her need!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote