Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
jedi44
jedi44 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle for PC
Question How to read e-book bought for Amazon Kindle for PC

Hi,
I have just registered on Amazon for the Kindle for PC app and bought my first DRM book. I didn't like the way the app displayed the book so my husband recommended Calibre, which he uses along with his physical Kindle device.
I added the book to my Calibre library but it won't read the book, because of the DRM. My husband is able to read his DRM books OK. Please, does anyone know how to get Calibre to recognise my Kindle for PC registration?
Thanks,
Joan
PS I have posted this to both the Kindle and Calibre forums since I don't know which would be best for my question. Sorry.

Last edited by jedi44; 12-07-2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Explaining duplicate post.
jedi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi44 View Post
Hi,
I have just registered on Amazon for the Kindle for PC app and bought my first DRM book. I didn't like the way the app displayed the book so my husband recommended Calibre, which he uses along with his physical Kindle device.
I added the book to my Calibre library but it won't read the book, because of the DRM. My husband is able to read his DRM books OK. Please, does anyone know how to get Calibre to recognise my Kindle for PC registration?
Thanks,
Joan
PS I have posted this to both the Kindle and Calibre forums since I don't know which would be best for my question. Sorry.
I'm rather surprised that your husband didn't think to tell you to google for Apprentice Alf.

(I've deleted your duplicate thread. The calibre developers have nothing to do with DRM.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
jedi44
jedi44 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle for PC
Sorry to be a novice at this

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm rather surprised that your husband didn't think to tell you to google for Apprentice Alf.

(I've deleted your duplicate thread. The calibre developers have nothing to do with DRM.)
I'm afraid that my husband had never heard of Apprentice Alf. He told me that he was able to read all his books in Calibre but, after reading your post, he tried a DRM book and it wouldn't read for him either (moral is, don't take anyone's word for anything where technology is concerned).

I followed the Apprentice Alf recommendation for the Calibre plugins and I can read my protected books fine now, thanks.

However, my husband installed them and tried to add DRM books from his Kindle. They still failed. Will the plugins only work when adding books from PC files rather than the Kindle device?
jedi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi44 View Post
I'm afraid that my husband had never heard of Apprentice Alf. He told me that he was able to read all his books in Calibre but, after reading your post, he tried a DRM book and it wouldn't read for him either (moral is, don't take anyone's word for anything where technology is concerned).

I followed the Apprentice Alf recommendation for the Calibre plugins and I can read my protected books fine now, thanks.

However, my husband installed them and tried to add DRM books from his Kindle. They still failed. Will the plugins only work when adding books from PC files rather than the Kindle device?
Unfortunately, for legal reasons, detailed help with DRM removal is not allowed at MobileRead. I suggest that you (or your husband) ask at the same place you got the tools, i.e. Apprentice Alf's blog.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, drm, kindle for pc