Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #16
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quistopher View Post
I'd rather use a library or find an ebook service similar to Netflix. Most books cost more then I want to pay and I am disappointed to see B&N selling some of the pre 1950 books, that doesn't seem right.
If it is still in copyright (e.g. The Hobbit), they certainly can't give it away.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #17
netgeist
netgeist began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
RAH - I downloaded the $18.99 book last night. It contains all three of the series.

- netgeist
netgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #18
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by netgeist View Post
RAH - I downloaded the $18.99 book last night. It contains all three of the series.

- netgeist
Happy reading! I just reread it about six months ago (yes, on paper) and it hasn't lost a thing for me.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #19
Loss Stop
Enthusiast
Loss Stop is on a distinguished road

Device: kobo 1, prs 350
How is the editing? Reviews say the kindle version is a mess. Wanted to do a re-read and buy from kobo.
Loss Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #20
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:

- netgeist
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking I'll spring for it myself, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks for your table of contents suggestion, Scion. I figured the sample wouldn't tell me, but i think you're right that the TOC would. Anyway, we now know that it has all 3.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
At $18.99 each book comes out to be $6.33 each. Much better then buying them separately.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loss Stop View Post
How is the editing? Reviews say the kindle version is a mess. Wanted to do a re-read and buy from kobo.
This isn't the Kindle version. The Kindle version I believe had some errors that the ePub did not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

- netgeist
Just for the sake of accuracy, it's not a "series", but one novel which is sometimes published in three volumes. If you read the "Note on the Text" at the start of the book, this is made very clear.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:14 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'd rather use a library or find an ebook service similar to Netflix. Most books cost more then I want to pay and I am disappointed to see B&N selling some of the pre 1950 books, that doesn't seem right.
Why do you not consider it right to sell pre-1950 books, as a matter of interest?
Old 12-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #25
Quistopher
Enthusiast
Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor CM7 7.0.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you not consider it right to sell pre-1950 books, as a matter of interest?
I suppose anyone could sell anything as long as they find a buyer, I remember pet rocks. I just found it annoying seeing a lot of those Classic (public domain) titles but I had already pulled a number of those titles from the internet before I got my Color Nook. I don't know what the copyright laws are overseas but I was of the impression that in the US, anything pre-1950 is considered Public Domain.

I don't think I am being so cheap as I am frugal, my local library has a limited eBook selection but for the cost of LOTR from B&N, I can subscribe to the Philadelphia library for the year and eventually I will get it via Overdrive. I am just too a point where I will rarely buy a book, just like Music & DVDs, I rent all of those with Rhapsody & Netflix but I definitely get my money’s worth from those services. Why pay more, when you don't have to? It would be different if I really wanted to read it now, but I have 200 some titles downloaded already, there isn't a rush.
Quistopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I suppose anyone could sell anything as long as they find a buyer, I remember pet rocks. I just found it annoying seeing a lot of those Classic (public domain) titles but I had already pulled a number of those titles from the internet before I got my Color Nook. I don't know what the copyright laws are overseas but I was of the impression that in the US, anything pre-1950 is considered Public Domain.
No, that's entirely incorrect. With some minor exceptions (such as copyright expiring and not being renewed), anything published in the United States in 1923 or later is protected by copyright.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #27
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
I don't know what the copyright laws are overseas but I was of the impression that in the US, anything pre-1950 is considered Public Domain.
This is not correct. You have to go back to more like 1922.

Also, you are free to get Public Domain books from B&N (many of which are free), or to get them from other sources. It's not like they have a monopoly on them.

In many cases, the B&N version has commentaries on the text, which are not in the Public Domain, and which add value to the book. Also, they may have put extra work into the preparation of the ebook, which also adds value. It can be worth paying something to have a copy of Pride & Prejudice with proper formatting or that includes illustrations from the 1st edition printing.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #28
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
I don't know what the copyright laws are overseas but I was of the impression that in the US, anything pre-1950 is considered Public Domain.
For your interest, here is a table of copyright lengths for various countries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...pyright_length
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #29
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Those copyright durations keep changing, though. Every 10 years, the rights-holders pay the law-makers enough money to add 20 more years to the duration.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:51 AM   #30
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loss Stop View Post
I just bought the $18.99 version. I looked thru it some, using the TOC. One thing I notice is that the large font seems smaller than usual (nore like what I think of as Medium), Medium is quite small, but switching to the Extra Large makes it huge and not very usable. So I'm stuck with the smaller than desired Large. I can get by.

I've been reading mostly PDFs recently, so perhaps I am remembering the way they were working as far as font size. Anyway, it seems like the right edition to get via B&N. I can reconfirm that it does indeed have all the books.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote