Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #16
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Maybe mine is showing the full file size next to the download button because they used to be on my device? If that's the case, then there's no practical way to sort, as all purchased books MUST show on the device at least once, if I'm not mistaken. You can't see new purchases or previews in your library without doing a sync, and when you do a sync, all new purchases and previews are downloaded to the device. (am I wrong about this? It seems like that's how it's worked for me, at least.)
My files were all on my device, I never normally keep anything in the cloud if I can help it. I just removed two to test and the two I removed then showed a download button with no file size, and sorted to the end of the library when I sorted by file size.

When I purchase from the device's bookstore the new book starts downloading automatically, but the download can be canceled by tapping the book.

In older firmware the "Remove from ereader" function used to be named "Archive", but it works in exactly the same way.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #17
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
My files were all on my device, I never normally keep anything in the cloud if I can help it. I just removed two to test and the two I removed then showed a download button with no file size, and sorted to the end of the library when I sorted by file size.

When I purchase from the device's bookstore the new book starts downloading automatically, but the download can be canceled by tapping the book.

In older firmware the "Remove from ereader" function used to be named "Archive", but it works in exactly the same way.
Hmmm...I wonder why my Aura HD isn't working that way--I've attached a picture of what it looks like after I remove a Kobo book from the device.

Also, I've never bought a book from my Kobo, so I didn't know that about cancelling the download. I probably never will buy one directly from the device, but it's good to know for the future. Generally I buy from my computer (or tablet) in batches, and, with my Kindle, I would always just download the books to the device individually as I wanted to read them. With the Kobo, I tend to not do that because I would have to sync to get them on my device, and doing so gets all of the books at once rather than just the one I want. I've had my kobo since the beginning of March, and I've only synced it 3 times--one of those was yesterday, trying to see if I could get the file size to disappear from the list. (it didn't work).

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NotOnDevice.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	125902  
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:29 PM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Hmmm...I wonder why my Aura HD isn't working that way--I've attached a picture of what it looks like after I remove a Kobo book from the device.

Also, I've never bought a book from my Kobo, so I didn't know that about cancelling the download. I probably never will buy one directly from the device, but it's good to know for the future. Generally I buy from my computer (or tablet) in batches, and, with my Kindle, I would always just download the books to the device individually as I wanted to read them. With the Kobo, I tend to not do that because I would have to sync to get them on my device, and doing so gets all of the books at once rather than just the one I want. I've had my kobo since the beginning of March, and I've only synced it 3 times--one of those was yesterday, trying to see if I could get the file size to disappear from the list. (it didn't work).

Shari
When you used the Remove option for a Kobo purchased (.kepub.epub) book, did you have a eReader and Kobo account checkbox on the remove screen? If I check both, the ebook does not appear on my Aura HD and is not downloaded on when I sync with Kobo though I will be prompted to enable WiFi if it is not enabled while removing the ebook. If I just check the eReader box, it will show in the library with a download option and the file size which I suspect is left over from the copy of the ebook that I removed.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 07-26-2014 at 11:31 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:36 AM   #19
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:

I can't see any advantage to keeping the books in the cloud, it would just make them inaccessible when out of wifi range.

Here are pics of what happens when I remove a kobo-bought book (Neptune's Brood) from my Glo with firmware 3.5.0, and then sort the library by file size. I wonder if the difference is something to do with buying the book from the device?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glo1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	125988   Click image for larger version

Name:	glo2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	125989   Click image for larger version

Name:	glo3.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	125990  

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-27-2014 at 12:51 AM. Reason: replace first image with a better one
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:48 AM   #20
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When you used the Remove option for a Kobo purchased (.kepub.epub) book, did you have a eReader and Kobo account checkbox on the remove screen? If I check both, the ebook does not appear on my Aura HD and is not downloaded on when I sync with Kobo though I will be prompted to enable WiFi if it is not enabled while removing the ebook. If I just check the eReader box, it will show in the library with a download option and the file size which I suspect is left over from the copy of the ebook that I removed.

Regards,
David
Maybe this is the difference? I didn't check the box to remove it from my account, because I thought that would actually remove it from my account, and I would lose access to it. Is this not the case?
Incidentally, the book wasn't downloaded back to the device when I clicked on the sync button.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #21
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Maybe this is the difference? I didn't check the box to remove it from my account, because I thought that would actually remove it from my account, and I would lose access to it. Is this not the case?
Incidentally, the book wasn't downloaded back to the device when I clicked on the sync button.

Shari
I also haven't tested if checking the box that says to remove it from your account will really remove it from your account. But I know that once you check remove from device, it will not be automatically synced, and you have to click that download bit to have it on your device again. It seems that Kobo remembers you don't want that particular book on a particular device...
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote