Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
nicois
nicois began at the beginning.

Device: nook
ERROR: No internet connection

Running v0.7.18 (Ubuntu 10.04, x64), I get "Cannot download news as no internet connection is active" when I try to fetch a news feed. Doesn't matter if it's a custom one or a supplied one.

I saw an earlier message about removing network-manager, but I use VPNs so I don't think that's an option, and it sounds like a dodgy workaround to me anyway. Nothing else has any trouble with the connection here. I even cleared out my firewall iptables rules with -F to no avail.

Any tips?

cheers.
nicois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Probably stating the obvious, but did you check your proxy settings? Calibre gets them from the 'system' (whatever that means in Ubuntu). You might not notice that they are set (or not set) if you use Firefox with foxyproxy.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you have networkmanager running but are not using it to manage your internet connections. Disable it or uninstall it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
kudos2011
kudos2011 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I have pretty much the opposite problem. My news sources are selected to download every day at a certain time (6am). However, when I'm on the road, away from a wifi Internet connection, and have calibre open (to read pre-downloaded sources), the downloads still proceed. The result is a whole bunch of empty news with 0.1MB size.

It would be better to only have downloads proceed when a valid Internet connection can be established. Otherwise, one's library fills up with a lot of junk.

(OS X, running Calibre 0.7.18)
kudos2011 is offline   Reply With Quote