Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
kevinofengland
Connoisseur
kevinofengland began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
A few Kindle questions from a Sony 505 owner

Hi all, I am considering buying the new K3 but have a few questions.

1. Will any sony 505 books work on the K3
2.What are the two versions, i mean in wha instance would i ned the 3g./ cant i download books just with wifi

3. can you buy other items on the Amazon website from the Kindle

4. can you access yahoo mail etc?

Thanks
Kevin
kevinofengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
1. Yes and No. You need to remove the DRM and convert the books into mobi format... then the books will work. If you cant then the books will not work since the Kindle does not support the ePub format.

2. The 3G is nice since you will only need a cellular signal to be able to purchase and download books and not have to wait until you are near a wifi hotspot. You can buy a book while traveling should you want to and not have to depend on a computer or wifi signal. I am not 100% sure of the coverage on your side of the pond...

3 and 4. I have not tried it but I dont see why not. The kindle has a basic (and I mean basic) web browser that you can use to access gmail, yahoo, and basic web surfing...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
3. yes, I have purchased other items on Amazon via my Kindle but I had to log into my account.

4. yes, you can access web mail. I've used it more than once when I was in hotels with poor wifi. It's slow and very basic but works.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Kindle 3 has a new WebKit-based browser. Many devices use browsers based on WebKit (wiki: WebKit Usage) and it is likely to be compatible with significantly more web sites than the K2's browser.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
Baumi
Connoisseur
Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Cybook G3
Is 3G web browsing officially supported in the UK? It isn't over here in Germany: While many users report that it works for them, others (including me ) only get the "3G browsing unsupported in your country" message.
Baumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
In answer to question 1 about your existing books, if they were bought from the Sony Store then yes they will have DRM which will need stripping out before they can be converted to mobi format for the Kindle.

If they don't have DRM (i.e were bought from somewhere else, or obtaining freely off the internet) then you can convert them to mobi format using Calibre, and the mobi format can then be loaded on the Kindle.

I am a Sony owner and this is what I have done.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote