Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
IMFletch
IMFletch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Convert HTML file to MOBI for Kindle

Hi. I'm having trouble converting a HTML file to MOBI for my Kindle2 using Calibre. I've tried a number of the different inputs, and they generally work except for the apostrophe's or quotation marks. Those show up on my Kindle as a small question mark inside a box. Can anyone here tell me what I'm doing wrong?
IMFletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...r-smart-quotes
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
acmatos
acmatos is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader & Kindle 2 Int
Could not solve it!...

I'm having the same problem.

I've already changed the encoding (and tried them all: cp1252, latin1, iso-8859-1 and utf-8) in Calibre preferences but it did not work.

The strange thing is that the ebook looks perfect in Calibre viewer (after converting it to mobi) but in my Kindle2 it still shows the question marks.

Could you please help?

Thanks in advance!
acmatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:21 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the Kindle doesn't have fonts capable fo displaying all characters.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I use curly single and double quotes in my HTML, translating correctly to MOBI and Kindle when encoding = UTF-8.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: none/all/any
In my source html files apostrophes and quotes are displayed like this:

’ = apostrophe

“ = quotes

They render as curly quotes after converting the html file to mobi in Calibre.

I hope this helps. - Fabe
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote