Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-13-2016, 08:02 PM   #1
inverno4661
inverno4661 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
Exclamation Root or Rebuild the vox

As the title suggest, I am trying to Either root or Rebuild an Os for my kobo vox.
I Tried to to the Root Process on the kobo vox technical forum site (?) -w/ Ginger root, but it's 1h.. and still going. as people said, the march 2, 2012 update broke ginger root.
I have spent the last hour just looking at Forums on rooting the kobo vox and can't quite find something easy or simple...

I'm sorry if I'm repeating another thread but I figured it would just be easier to ask the community.

Currently I think Kobo software is updated, android is v. 2.3.4
I know for sure I can open up the back and remove the inner SD card.
(I have not opened up the inner back panel, just know I have the model that it's possible to do)

the only reason I want to replace the inner SD is because of a forum post years ago when I had boot issues with the device, I had came across a forum where a guy said he removed the sd card and replaced it with his own build.
I'm assuming with an Android version.
It really doesn't need to be the most updated android version... just functional and able to have root permission.

I'm trying to set up this device for a single use:
to put on the wall on my desk, watch youtube, control spotify, stream files from my computer to the tablet.
That's basically it.
the odd time I might take it on a road trip to watch videos.
in all honesty, I can easily get a app to read epub files. and don't need the clunky kobo software.

Any help is appreciated...

[edit]
I managed to remove the inner back cover and remove the inner SD card.
An 8GB plugged into a card reader on my computer.
Windows wants to format, but I'm pretty sure it deletes all the data....
I have a 16gb Clean uSD I can load a custom os onto right now...I just don't know where to start.

Last edited by inverno4661; 10-13-2016 at 08:56 PM. Reason: more info
inverno4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:16 AM   #2
mightyzazz
Enthusiast
mightyzazz began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by inverno4661 View Post
As the title suggest, I am trying to Either root or Rebuild an Os for my kobo vox.
I Tried to to the Root Process on the kobo vox technical forum site (?) -w/ Ginger root, but it's 1h.. and still going. as people said, the march 2, 2012 update broke ginger root.
I have spent the last hour just looking at Forums on rooting the kobo vox and can't quite find something easy or simple...

I'm sorry if I'm repeating another thread but I figured it would just be easier to ask the community.

Currently I think Kobo software is updated, android is v. 2.3.4
I know for sure I can open up the back and remove the inner SD card.
(I have not opened up the inner back panel, just know I have the model that it's possible to do)

the only reason I want to replace the inner SD is because of a forum post years ago when I had boot issues with the device, I had came across a forum where a guy said he removed the sd card and replaced it with his own build.
I'm assuming with an Android version.
It really doesn't need to be the most updated android version... just functional and able to have root permission.

I'm trying to set up this device for a single use:
to put on the wall on my desk, watch youtube, control spotify, stream files from my computer to the tablet.
That's basically it.
the odd time I might take it on a road trip to watch videos.
in all honesty, I can easily get a app to read epub files. and don't need the clunky kobo software.

Any help is appreciated...

[edit]
I managed to remove the inner back cover and remove the inner SD card.
An 8GB plugged into a card reader on my computer.
Windows wants to format, but I'm pretty sure it deletes all the data....
I have a 16gb Clean uSD I can load a custom os onto right now...I just don't know where to start.

Hi My name is mightyzazz and I successfully rebuilt 2 Kobo Vox's which are still used today. You can follow my journey on the thread - Kobo Vox Hacking Progress. You can email me for help if you get stuck, and I will try to help as Diffliugia helped me. Grazie, Roberto.
mightyzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert