Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Screen partly faded

When I go to a footnote from a link in the middle of the page, and then return to the page I was reading, something happens to the screen. The middle third is OK, but the top and bottom thirds are faded. They are readable, but the letters are greyer than they should be.
Can anyone help?
Thanks.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Sounds like e-ink ghosting, does the footnote you opened occupy the same space that gets greyed out? Try tapping in the middle to bring up the menu, tap again to close it. This forces the page to redraw (i.e. do a full refresh) and should make the text appear uniform again.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane1 View Post
Sounds like e-ink ghosting, does the footnote you opened occupy the same space that gets greyed out? Try tapping in the middle to bring up the menu, tap again to close it. This forces the page to redraw (i.e. do a full refresh) and should make the text appear uniform again.
That does fix it. But is the greying out a symptom of some underlying problem which might get more serious as time goes by?

BTW the footnote opens in the middle of the screen, but the greyed-out area is at the top and bottom.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
If refreshing it clears it up I don't think there is a fault. If you know of a public domain e-book that uses footnotes let me know, I am curious to see the issue you have having.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan View Post
That does fix it. But is the greying out a symptom of some underlying problem which might get more serious as time goes by?

BTW the footnote opens in the middle of the screen, but the greyed-out area is at the top and bottom.
I think it is a 'feature' of the display technology.
I get the same on my mini if there are photos embedded in a book.
The refresh can be force to happen for every page (the default is 6),
on the mini it is under the Reading Settings in the Settings menu.
You can set it to refresh screen every page turn, but it will drain your
battery more quickly.
I have mine set to four and live with a little ghosting.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane1 View Post
If refreshing it clears it up I don't think there is a fault. If you know of a public domain e-book that uses footnotes let me know, I am curious to see the issue you have having.
Most of my books are purchased kepubs. I do have a few public domain epubs, but they don't seem to have footnotes. If I come across one that does, I'll let you know.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
I think it is a 'feature' of the display technology.
I get the same on my mini if there are photos embedded in a book.
I think you're right. I did exchange the Glo, but the replacement has the same problem. It looks like the screen doesn't refresh properly, or at least evenly, when you return to the page from a footnote.