Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kindle Touch SSH Over Wifi Zip Request

I am hoping someone has a copy of the kindle-touch-jb-wifi.zip as linked through the KT Hacks wiki:

SSH Over Wifi Portion of Wiki

The Gitbrew mirror has been down for some time and all Googled links lead to Rome.

If someone can pm me, I'll glady post it to MediaFire or the like.

silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by silasgreenback View Post
I am hoping someone has a copy of the kindle-touch-jb-wifi.zip as linked through the KT Hacks wiki:

SSH Over Wifi Portion of Wiki

The Gitbrew mirror has been down for some time and all Googled links lead to Rome.

If someone can pm me, I'll glady post it to MediaFire or the like.

There is nothing mysterious about it, just add an iptables rule to allow port 22 in-bound.

Any Linux Networking reference on the 'net can give you the specific format, and viewing the existing rules in the iptables save file can show where to put it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
This is from the K4 hacking wiki, but it applies to all eink kindles:
Quote:
add a firewall rule to allow ssh access. Edit the /mnt/base-mmc/etc/sysconfig/iptables file:
vi /mnt/base-mmc/etc/sysconfig/iptables

and add the following line to that file:
-A INPUT -i wlan0 -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was hoping to poke around in the file, but appreciate the help nonetheless. Having to plug in to delete those silly personal letters when I returned library books was leaving me unreasonably annoyed.

In:

Last edited by silasgreenback; 08-04-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
Gitbrew will be back in the next 2 weeks hopefully.
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoover View Post
Gitbrew will be back in the next 2 weeks hopefully.
Yay! wonderful! Thanks! Even then, we need more mirrors. If anybody can share some of their storage space and bandwidth, please provide links we can add to the pastebin. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
alexandregz
alexandregz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Hi:
the iptables rules posted above (by geekmaster) are right?

TIA.
alexandregz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandregz View Post
Hi:

TIA.
What happened when you tried them? Did they not work for you? Or, are you asking for a "second opinion"? I just copied it from the K4 hacking wiki, and somebody probably would have noticed a problem long ago if they did not work.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-07-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
I might be a little late to this but I do have all the files from the kindle 5 wiki when gitbrew was up. I'm attaching them if anyone still needs them.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle-touch-jb-wifi.zip (883 Bytes, 504 views)
Titano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
alexandregz

ammmm, sorry bro, it's just a question O:-)

I ask just because nobody responds something like "yeah, perfect, geekmaster" or "this doesn't work for me with model xxx".

So I'm going to try. thx
Old 08-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
ammmm, sorry bro, it's just a question O:-)

I ask just because nobody responds something like "yeah, perfect, geekmaster" or "this doesn't work for me with model xxx".

So I'm going to try. thx
I did prefix the iptables rule with "This is from the K4 hacking wiki, but it applies to all eink kindles". So you can just go ahead and try what I suggested and IF you have problems THEN ask more questions.

Asking for verification from others of what I posted without even trying it yourself can be interpreted as a bit rude and/or lazy on your part.

So yes, try it like I told you to do in the first place, and report back with your results.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
alexandregz

yeah, perfect, geekmaster ;-)

Works fine, just the file isn't /mnt/base-mmc, /etc/sysconfig/iptables for me.

Thanks.

Last edited by alexandregz; 08-07-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
alexandregz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titano View Post
I might be a little late to this but I do have all the files from the kindle 5 wiki when gitbrew was up. I'm attaching them if anyone still needs them.
Thanks for the file, Titano

But I watch one problem (IMHO). In my /etc/sysconfig/iptables I have a rule for vnc server (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175297). If someone use the runme.sh, the script overwrite the iptables file and the vnc server don't accept connections (the rule is just accept TCP packets in 5900 from the wlan0 interfaz: -A INPUT -i wlan0 -p tcp --dport 5900 -j ACCEPT).
Old 08-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ya, I just happened to have it from a long time ago and thought I would upload it. I didn't really make it or anything and all it does is copy the file. To tell you the truth geakmasters thing work's better. I just uploaded it because someone said they wanted to look at the original file.
Titano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #15
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner

Quote:
Hi:

TIA.
The paths differ. The absolute path in the example leads to an empty directory whereas it lives in /etc/sysconfig/ on the KT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titano View Post
To tell you the truth geakmasters thing work's better. I just uploaded it because someone said they wanted to look at the original file.
Thank you very much!

Geekmaster's recommendation is much simpler. The jb-wifi script will copy iptables as a bak file, so that's worth emulating, but the rest is accomplished just fine by adding the line yourself.

Last edited by silasgreenback; 08-08-2012 at 02:55 AM.