Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 04:31 AM   #31
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes you would. It would have arrived wirelessly at some point.
Yea, I am permanently on airplane mode ever since I got my PW.
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #32
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I'm permanently on airplane mode, too. I even created a custom password and threw it away so that it's impossible to leave airplane mode.

My books, my notes, my clippings, my folders.. I'm a bit of a conservative guy, I don't like file sharing much. Even with Amazon.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #33
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Have you noticed more contrast or more white screen?
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
Have you noticed more contrast or more white screen?
No. The "whiteness" of the screen is determined by hardware. There's no way it could be changed by a firmware update.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #35
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Thanks! ;-)
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #36
atleon
Enthusiast
atleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Some people say that with this firmware the white of the screen seems to be whiter. Is this true or is it just some kind of "placebo" effect?

I think that it's the second option but I would like to read your opinions. Thanks.
atleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See my previous post.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #38
atleon
Enthusiast
atleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
See my previous post.
I have read it and I think exactly like you. But some users say that the last firmware of K4 improved the whiteness of these readers. It sounds weird but, how I don't have the K4, this statement made me hesitate...

That's the reason why I wanted to read more opinions...
atleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atleon View Post
I have read it and I think exactly like you. But some users say that the last firmware of K4 improved the whiteness of these readers. It sounds weird but, how I don't have the K4, this statement made me hesitate...

That's the reason why I wanted to read more opinions...
It's conceivable that a firmware update could improve the contrast between the screen background and the text by changing the way that fonts are rendered, but what it couldn't do it change the "whiteness" of the screen background.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #40
mroek
mroek began at the beginning.

With RGB-LEDs it would have been possible to change the color, but the KPW doesn't have this, so it is as HarryT says: No firmware update can change the color of the light.
mroek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #41
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
I'm permanently on airplane mode, too. I even created a custom password and threw it away so that it's impossible to leave airplane mode.

My books, my notes, my clippings, my folders.. I'm a bit of a conservative guy, I don't like file sharing much. Even with Amazon.
Wow, that is extreme! But I can see your point. The only reason I take airplane mode off is to get my 1 book a month from the lending library. I could just read it on my Fire, though. So I may just do that. I don't want Amazon screwing with my hacks.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #42
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Easier than what? The whole update took me less than two minutes; downloading the file to my iMac, then connecting my Kindle to transfer the file, then updating the software on the Kindle.
I'm not saying the manual method isn't easy, just requires more steps. I always download and transfer to my Kindle as well since waiting for the update could take a while.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I think Amazon's servers must have been very busy last night. The file only downloaded for me at about 100kB/sec, so it took about 25 minutes to download.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #44
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Do Custom fonts still work with the new firmware?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #45
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Do Custom fonts still work with the new firmware?
Yes.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote