Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
High Heat

Here is something that is bothering me regarding high heat. Is storing the Touch in your car besides over heating the screen and potentially causing leaking and bleeding, dangerous for the Battery. What is the danger range in heat exposure to the battery? Could the battery pack explode? I know that our cars can heat up extremely high during the extreme summer tempertures. Whats the answer guys?

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
While it's unlikely your KT's battery would explode, exposing it to high temperatures will shorten it's lifespan; dramatically so if you're operating or charging it at the time.

There is a wealth of information of the care and feeding of batteries at Battery University.

Last edited by TedJ; 07-18-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Added link.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Ted is right, most batteries are made of plastic which will not burn until approximatly 300 degrees, my physics proff told me, and all life on earth would end before the temperature got to that level. So it highly unlikely you could ever fry your battery. That's not what you need to worry about, the circutry in the reader would fry long before that, my proff told me that circults would fry at approximatly 95 degrees. So the bottom line is in the middle of the summer keep your IT hardware cool and take your reader with you.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Ted is right, most batteries are made of plastic which will not burn until approximatly 300 degrees, my physics proff told me, and all life on earth would end before the temperature got to that level. So it highly unlikely you could ever fry your battery. That's not what you need to worry about, the circutry in the reader would fry long before that, my proff told me that circults would fry at approximatly 95 degrees. So the bottom line is in the middle of the summer keep your IT hardware cool and take your reader with you.
ACtually its not the burning that concerns me. ITs the fact that Lithium batteries dont vent and due to the nature of the technology are under high pressure. And the extreeme heat may cause them to expand and burst. I have had this happen with lithium batteries in the Harmony remote which was destroyed. Thats my concerne. High heat is definately an issue when it comes to any computer equipment. For example lowering the temp on a cpu by just 1 degree can significantly increase its lifespan. I have had cpus blow up due to exspanion in gass trapped in the silicon layers. But to be fair it was a tiny hole but it rendered it useless and it was loud. are you indicating c or f?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I once exploded a nicad battery pack while charge. Wasn't much left of the battery pack. I was lucky it wasn't in the device and I was out of the room when this happened. It was for a Bendix underwater communication system with speaker you strapped to your scuba tank. Didn't work very good anyway. Buddy tried it out in his apartment's bathtub. Lady in another apartment freaked out when her toilet started talking to her.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
I once exploded a nicad battery pack while charge. Wasn't much left of the battery pack. I was lucky it wasn't in the device and I was out of the room when this happened. It was for a Bendix underwater communication system with speaker you strapped to your scuba tank. Didn't work very good anyway. Buddy tried it out in his apartment's bathtub. Lady in another apartment freaked out when her toilet started talking to her.
How bad was the damage?

And how does one make a toilet talk?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Cast iron bath tub full of water with steel and cast iron drain pipes. All great sound conductors. Bendix underwater com system used throat microphone, amplification and small underwater speaker to transmit sound through water that near by divers could hear. Only other place I saw it used was once on 1958 to 1962 sea hunt TV show.

We found only the base and lower side case of each cell in the battery pack. Was using variable voltage DC power supply with volt meter and amp meter to charge the battery pack. It worked but easy to set higher than was safe charge rate.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The best authority that I have ever come across on batteries is batteriesplus.com. I would ask them if you have questions that we can't answer here - something that mobile read forum members collectively don't know, somehow that does not compute - collectively mobile read members know everything about mobile readers.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote