Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 04:31 AM   #31
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Dunno 'bout you, but Samsung has a reasonably successful 7incher in the Galaxy Tab, yet they are jumping to get out an 8incher for a reason. And the reason is Apple sold a ton of iPad minis.
Samsung already have tablets / phones in 3, 3.1, 3.2, 4, 4.8, 5, 5.3, 5.5, 7, 9.4 & 10.1 inch sizes (I've missed a bunch out for simplicity) 6 & 8 inch are about the only sizes they didn't have before the iPad mini. I suspect they are just filling the gaps rather than blindly following iPple.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:39 AM   #32
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
For the rumored price I'd expect more.

Certainly the Note 8 will work for many and that's what Samsung is counting on. However, my needs require higher resolution.
Besides, what I don't like about this is that for the price they SHOULD offer a higher resolution. People who buy this help them get away with offering less for more money. If the Note 8 was really cheap then it would be great. For the expected price it should include a better screen.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 04:52 AM   #33
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I've been using my 7 inch Blackberry Playbook since they came out in 2011, and that size really has been just right for me.

And for the record, I bought it because I wanted to use it to Bridge to my BB phone. Apple's never come into my purchasing mind frame. As a product I'm just not interested in what they offer - I don't like their ethos of 'lock in'.

I would like ereaders to have the 7 inch size option as well.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:55 AM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Besides, what I don't like about this is that for the price they SHOULD offer a higher resolution. People who buy this help them get away with offering less for more money. If the Note 8 was really cheap then it would be great. For the expected price it should include a better screen.
Looks like Samsung is copying Apple again - offer less at premium pricing
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 AM   #35
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
For the rumored price I'd expect more.

Certainly the Note 8 will work for many and that's what Samsung is counting on. However, my needs require higher resolution.
Have you seen a price yet? Rumours are only rumours...

Beside, this 8" Note will have something most other 7" tablets don't have: the s-pen. That would be its selling point for me (not to mention the SD card extension possibility)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #36
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You bet, they will get sued for that as well.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #37
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Rumors have it that the new iPad will have a thinner bezel. They could shave off about 2 inches all around, so that would make the 10 inch device as portable as an 8 inch one.

I need my 10 screen, since I look at it all day long, and gladly lug around a few more grams for the viewing convenience. Anything smaller than 10 inches makes it instantly less productive for me, and a consumption only device, since I use handwriting apps at work, and surf/email/shop exclusively on my iPad.
Funny thing is that 8" is just too big for me. It won't slip in my pocket. The KFHD *just* makes it. That's one of the things I like best about my KF.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #38
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
What company sells a higher quality 10" tablet cheaper than the iPad?
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #39
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Samsung already have tablets / phones in 3, 3.1, 3.2, 4, 4.8, 5, 5.3, 5.5, 7, 9.4 & 10.1 inch sizes (I've missed a bunch out for simplicity) 6 & 8 inch are about the only sizes they didn't have before the iPad mini. I suspect they are just filling the gaps rather than blindly following iPple.
Samsung have had a 7.7" tablet for some time, since before the iPad mini (7.9").

http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consume...GT-P6800LSATGY

(First shown in Sept 2011, released in Feb 2012.)

They're not even filling in the gaps. This is more of a play to widen the reach for the Galaxy Note range.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #40
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Google, surely, with the Nexus 10?

UK price for 16 GB wifi £319 vs Retina iPad's £399.

Graham
Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
"Quality" is such a subjective term; and 8.9" ~ 10.1" is the same size to me.

I'm very happy with my $249 Kindle Fire HD 8.9" with retina display. It's a great video device (my primary use for it).

Last edited by tubemonkey; 01-25-2013 at 10:20 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #42
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Haven't they got an 8.9 galaxy tab?
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #43
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Haven't they got an 8.9 galaxy tab?
Yup: http://www.t3.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-tab-8-9-review

If someone at Samsung invented stretchy tablets they'd be golden.

Graham
Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #44
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
"Quality" is such a subjective term; and 8.9" ~ 10.1" is the same size to me.

I'm very happy with my $249 Kindle Fire HD 8.9" with retina display. It's a great video device (my primary use for it).
Does this 8.9 = 10.1 math work only against Apple?

You're the one that made the claim that Apple offers "less for a premium price". I made the mistake of thinking that it was a serious comment, not just an anti-Apple drive-by. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Google, surely, with the Nexus 10?
UK price for 16 GB wifi £319 vs Retina iPad's £399.

Graham
Here in the US, the N10 is the same price as the iPad (for the same storage capacity). So how is Apple charging a premium price?

Look. Android-based tabs are eating Apple's lunch in the 7" space. Without a doubt. Higher quality devices at lower prices. But the 10" realm is clearly Apple's.

Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 01-25-2013 at 12:30 PM.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #45
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Here in the US, the N10 is the same price as the iPad (for the same storage capacity). So how is Apple charging a premium price?
Hmmmm... I show N10 at $399 vs Ipad at $499 for the 16gb models, $499 vs $599 for the 32gb models. Using Repub math? or older ipads for comparison.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote