Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
susieqt
susieqt began at the beginning.

Device: K3
What happens to Kindle books if I die?

I know this is a bit morbid but I was walking the dog earlier and thinking about a book-addicted friend who has just died and how much she would have loved having a Kindle.

I wondered what happens to the books if you die as they are associated with an Amazon account which would presumably get closed as part of the housekeeping at some point (I guess Amazon must have a clear-out of accounts that have been inactive for a long time eventually?)

Do they just stay on the Kindle and the new owner would register their own account with Amazon - in which case would they deregister all the existing books?

Isn't it amazing what drivel your mind comes up with when walking the dog in the rain?

susie
susieqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You could leave your Amazon account - and its books - to someone in your will. No problem at all about doing that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
You should be planning now for who gets what when you die.

Trust me.

Leaving a list in a safe place (safe deposit box?) with your account id and password to different sites would be good.......

Whoever gets the Kindle should get the books and account!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I'm gonna leave the kindle to my kids but make them buy their own books. They have to learn to work for them.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
hmmmm a list of websites and passwords. I had never thought of that.

I am still waiting for a court case revolving around Kindle books to hit Judge Judy.

Plantiff: "He bought me a Kindle when we were dating. We shared an account. I bought books that I cannot access now because he removed my Kindle from the account. I want the money back for the books that I bought that I can no longer access"

Judge Judy "What is a Kindle? I barely use my computer and have just learned how to send an email."
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Please... kids download tv shows, mp3s and all kinds of stuff on file hosting/torrent sites. Do you really think it would take no longer than 3 seconds to find 500 kilobyte ebook that they would like? Let alone a 2gb torrent of some 3000 e-book collection to download and have in under 10 minutes?

Just be happy if you can get them to read IMHO =)

Anyway, might want to check w/ AZ about that, they have some wordy stuff in their TOS about their DRM stuff.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Um, if you go to heaven, you will have a Kindle with access to every book ever imagined, with no typos or DRM, with page numbers, and even better contrast.

If you go to hell, you will be forced to repeatedly read a typo-infested, bad translation of The Epic of Gilgamesh on an Apple Newton that asks you to scrawl a 1000 character password every 10 minutes to unlock the DRM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

All your "I"s are "1"s and all of your "R"s are "12"s. In addition, every third sentence will receive a random newline, and every fourth vowel at the end of an article will be missing if it applies. You will forever be doomed to suffer the wrath of poor OCR. You will never see a table of contents, an image, or a dialogue with proper use of quotation marks.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Every book you load with be drm'd.....and there will be no mobidedrm, K4pc, or any liberating script available......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
curstpriest
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Every book you load with be drm'd.....and there will be no mobidedrm, K4pc, or any liberating script available......
You will be forced to print it out, scan every page, and OCR it

and suffer the wrath of even more bad OCR
Old 10-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
nguirado
Wizard
nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
The only author available will be Dan Brown. You'll have an iPad, but the flames will make it unreadable for long stretches of time.
nguirado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #12
c861556
Enthusiast
c861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguirado View Post
The only author available will be Dan Brown. You'll have an iPad, but the flames will make it unreadable for long stretches of time.
Holy mother of gods. Forgive me Father for I have sinned...
c861556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
AthenaAtDelphi
"Gnothi Seauton"
AthenaAtDelphi doesn't litterAthenaAtDelphi doesn't litter

Device: Asus Eee 1000H, BeBook Mini, Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
If you go to hell, you will be forced to repeatedly read a typo-infested, bad translation of The Epic of Gilgamesh on an Apple Newton that asks you to scrawl a 1000 character password every 10 minutes to unlock the DRM.
If you go to hell, you'll get one of those hard-to-read glossy-screened iPads .

Or was it just the other way round: if you get an iPad, you'll go straight to hell ?
AthenaAtDelphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am sooo happy to be Catholic. Last Rites will save me from this hell.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:07 AM   #15
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguirado View Post
Samantha45 is offline   Reply With Quote