Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
spiralmind4
spiralmind4 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Question Proper way to backup library meta offline

I've done some quick searches here in the forums, and I've read a few other articles but I'm still a little unclear how to go about a PROPER backup of my library meta data and where exactly it's located.

I'm using Calibre on windows 8. I've located where calibre is saving data at c:\users\name\appdata\roaming\calibre and I've looked at the calibre folder inside programfiles (x86) -- i'm using the win32 version. I have a very large library and am expecting to see a db file someplace but am not finding it.

I read that the meta data is stored with the book itself inside the library folder in the .opf folder. Is this enough? How would one restore metadata from their library should a hard drive go down?

So, I'm wondering how to go about BACKING UP my metadata to store it OFFLINE in the case of a hard drive problem. I use the backup feature within Calibre frequently, but this is no good if a hard drive goes down.

My books/library itself is backed up (along with the .opf files). Is this enough? What is the proper way to backup the metadata offline so I don't lose days/weeks of meticulous meta data work?
spiralmind4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#id43

Just Archive the Folder instead of moving it.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
spiralmind4
spiralmind4 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thanks for the link, theducks. All i needed to know was where that database was being stored and the link also told me it's an sqlite db so that's good useful info too.

Somehow i overlooked that part of the manual.
spiralmind4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Its also a good idea to back up Calibres configuration settings, the location can be found via Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open Calibre configuration directory.

I'm not sure if you could restore this directory in the event of having to do a Fresh Install of Calibre (e.g. because you lost the system drive).

However a backup of it can at least tell you what plug-ins you had, give some clues as to changes you made in preferences etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup, calibre, meta data, opf