Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
Gannett
Gannett began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello from California!

Hello.
Came accross this site by accident, looks very interesting.

I am currently scanning and preparing electronic versions of British pulp novels from the 1950s to the 1970s, mainly John Creasey at the moment. I've completed one book, The Toff in New York, and am working on The Toff on the Farm.

My workflow is scanning chapter-by-chapter, OCR-ing the pages with Microsoft Office Document Imaging, then working through to correct scanning errors, etc. It takes me about 3 hours to do an 8-page chapter. The text is still in Word format, ready to conversion to AZW for my Kindle, or any other format in the future.

Originally I started doing it so I would have electronic versions for my Kindle, as I couldn't find them in the store, but I'm finding it alot easier than I thought (just time-consuming) and want to do more.

I'm wondering if there's a demand for these kind of books, whether I should just give them away or approach the rights holders and see if there is any interest there.

I'm looking forward to delving into the forum here, and getting to know other ebook creators!
Gannett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Gannett.

I doubt anyone will care if you scan them for your own use, but once you start giving them away.......you are running into a rats nest.

If they are in copyright you must contact the owners of such before you do anything else.

Enjoy teh forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Hi Gannett. Welcome to the MobileRead forums.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Welcome, fellow California resident! Your project sounds very intriguing. Though I have no expertise in copyright issues, I hope you find a solution to them. We have a fantastic library of user-created ebooks here, and it sounds like you'd make a unique contribution to them.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
Gannett
Gannett began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks

Thanks guys. I just took a look at the Kindle store, looks like they already have The Toff in New York! Was't there when I last checked. Oh well, I'm sure my edition is better!
Gannett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 05:40 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....

Mark what desertgrandma stated, though; 1950 through to 1970 - all those publications will still be in copyright.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Gannet. An interesting project. I have no doubt you'll soon create a loyal reader following. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Gannett and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Welcome to MR!

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #11
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hi and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #12
CaraM
Guru
CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hello and welcome. You have quite a job ahead of you. Good luck.
CaraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
chuck_glenn
Kindle 3 WiFi & Kindle 2
chuck_glenn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi & Kindle 2
Welcome! What I've done with some success on a Kindle 3 is either print-to-PDF, or export to HTML then create MOBI files with MobiPocketCreator. Former method is fast, but less than ideal to read on the Kindles. Second method is more work, but works much better on the reader. MobiPocketCreator software is free, but Windows-only. Amazon's own format is apparently a proprietary extension of the published MOBI format. The K2 and K3 both read MOBI files as well as their own native format. Hope that helps!
chuck_glenn is offline   Reply With Quote