Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Coolreader Dictionaries on Lbook s/w

I have installed LBook software on my BeBook as there are some of the facilities I like. One of them is the Dictionary support using Coolreader to allow linked look-up of words within a book (I'm mainly using fb2 books). The problem is, however finding some usable Dictionaries. The mueller ones which came with the distro and which work are English-Russian and are of no use to me.

The instructions are to use standard Unix DICT format dictionaries with a .dict.dz and associated .index files. All the Dictionaries I have found have the .dict.dz file but have an associated .idx file rather than .index. Renaming the .idx as .index doesn't work and examining the formats of the two, using the mueller one as reference it is clear they follow a different format, with the .index ones being plain text.

Has anyone any ideas on either how to convert the .idx to a .index or where to find some more DICT dictionaries that already have a .index component or if it is possible to extract a .index from the .dict.dz. I have looked at Stardict which seems to have a large collection but they are the ones with the .idx files.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Unable to use dictionary. Thanks for the information about .idx vs .index, because I have been trying to use the latter. As the OpenInkPot thread says, you might be able to find existing versions in Linux distributions or get makedict to work.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
thelude
thelude began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook mini (Hanlin V5)
Smile

Hi!
As i could not find any working LBook coolreader dictionary on the Net, I downloaded the largest Stardict dictionary 'The Collaborative International Dictionary of English' (some 180.000 english words) and had some intense fun converting it to the dictd format LBook needs .
For this I've downloaded a default Ubuntu, the makedict build files and quite a number of non-installed dependencies failing makedict to cmake, make and make install.
1) I downloaded colated dictionary and gunzipped it
2) I installed a number of dependencies, like
sudo apt-get install cmake
sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install gettext
sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-dev
sudo aptitude install --with-recommends zlib1g zlib1g-dev
sudo apt-get install expat-2.0.1
sudo apt-get install lib64expat1-dev
sudo apt-get install dictzip
Hope I did not forget to write down another one. You'll just have to see.
I doubt I really needed gettext, but what the hack. I am nu Ubuntu or Linux expert, I just tried so maybe the install thing is a bit overweight)
(this was done in a shell in Ubuntu, cut and paste each line).
3) I then extracted the dict.dz file using
dictzip -d dictd_www.dict.org_gcide.dict.dz
(nasty bugger, fooled me by the dz extention (also for dzip extention).
4) Then I followed installation instructions in the INSTALL file of makedict.
So go to the extracted build files for makedict. Then type
cmake (and wait for confirmation without errors)
make (and wait for confirmation without errors)
make install (and wait for confirmation without errors)
And tada, your own compiled binary and actually working makedict.
5) then finally go to extraction directory of this extracted .dict file. If you did not copy the compiled makedict to a searchable path just copy the excecutable to the location of the dict file. And now just do
./makedict dictd_www.dict.org_gcide.ifo -i stardict -o dictd
Ponder ponder, after a few long minutes the new .dict and .index files have been created in a new subfolder with the name of the dictionary itself.
That's a way to do it.
---------------------------------
The other way is to click on this link:
bebookmini.lsak.com/20100209_dictd_www.dict.org_gcide+makedict_convers ion_to_dictd_thelude.zip
Download it, extract it and place the .dict and .index file in a subfolder (you might need to create) on your SD card, named 'dict'.
Then it should all work.
Have fun!
Drop me a message here if you succeed and actually have fun with a working dictionary. Another plus for the Lbook (or my bebook Mini/hanlin v5)
TheLude
Ludo Sak
thelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ludo

Thanks so much for your efforts here, I downloaded the dictionary files and added them to my Bebook. (BeBook 1 aka Hanlin V3) What I have found though is that while the dictionary "works" there is something decidedly odd about it.

I have searched for two words - LAUGH and URCHIN, both of which appear in the GCIDE I have in Mobipocket form.
On the BeBook LAUGH gives me an entry for "Laughing Bird" and no ability to step forward or backward.
URCHIN returns no matches.

Examining the .index file both words appear in it so I would expect to be able to display an entry for both.

I haven't done extensive checks but it seems like something is broken .

BobC
Old 03-31-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
Alesak
Alesak began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Ludo

I have searched for two words - LAUGH and URCHIN, both of which appear in the GCIDE I have in Mobipocket form.
On the BeBook LAUGH gives me an entry for "Laughing Bird" and no ability to step forward or backward.
URCHIN returns no matches.

Examining the .index file both words appear in it so I would expect to be able to display an entry for both.

I haven't done extensive checks but it seems like something is broken .

BobC
In my opinion, the problem is simply in lower/upper case. When I took the *.index file and manually converted all the first upper letters to lower, it started finding more words.

And by the way, I converted the *.dict to *.dict.dz, but I don't think, this could affect the searching, just more free diskspace is saved.
Alesak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
BobC
Guru

Thanks for the pointer - I've examined the index file and I see "laughing bird" is all lower case while other variants of "Laugh" all start in upper.

I'll see about converting my index file .

BobC
Old 06-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
DoktrJones
DoktrJones is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook mini, likebook plus
edit: see this post for a working dictionary: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86563

Last edited by DoktrJones; 06-12-2010 at 08:56 AM.
DoktrJones is offline   Reply With Quote