Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
zunga
zunga began at the beginning.

Device: GT-P3110
"Python function terminated unexpectedly" on ePub to PDF conversion

I've been getting these annoying errors every now and then with many different ePub files whenever I try to convert them to PDF. Conversion process starts normally but gives this error message right when it steps from 99% to 100%. I tried reinstalling and wiping all files inside calibre's book library folder with no sucess. No matter what I do it will always show the error message below after reaching 100%:

"Python function terminated unexpectedly
PDF Output failed, see log for details (Error Code: 1)"

This happens even with ePub files I had successfuly converted in the past with older versions of calibre.

Full message copied from log:

Python function terminated unexpectedly
PDF Output failed, see log for details (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 189, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 31, in gui_convert_override
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 25, in gui_convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 1156, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\pdf_out put.py", line 133, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\pdf_out put.py", line 252, in convert_text
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\pdf_out put.py", line 278, in write
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\pdf\render\from_html.py", line 212, in dump
Exception: PDF Output failed, see log for details
zunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@zunga

There have been some changes in convert to PDF recently - have a look in the Change Log for details

If you want to lodge a defect report then its best to do that here Calibre Bugs

BR

- thanks Doc.

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-11-2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: correction as a result of Doc's post
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
zunga

Thanks for the reply.

That being said, I think the easiest solution would be to step back a few versions for two or three months. Do you know where I can find the older releases?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunga View Post
Thanks for the reply.

That being said, I think the easiest solution would be to step back a few versions for two or three months. Do you know where I can find the older releases?
Same place you got the current version
Look for the small words "Previous releases here"
(just under the 'Donate' Payment cards)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Actually the best solution is to work with Kovid by opening a bug report; normally he is very quick in resolving these issues and a fix will be in the next release.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Actually the best solution is to work with Kovid by opening a bug report; normally he is very quick in resolving these issues and a fix will be in the next release.
do both - go back and find a version that works, and post a bug report

Kovid posted a new 9.22 within 12 hours of me reporting a conversion bug last friday evening - my time, afternoon his time.

BR
Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I did try some epub to PDF conversions and had no issue, so it might be something local to your setup.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
zunga

Thanks a lot guys, I'll do it.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
zunga

So I rolled calibre back to version 0.9.12 and everything is working again!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
So I rolled calibre back to version 0.9.12 and everything is working again!
and you raised a bug report - yes?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
zunga

Uh... no...