Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
jodykihara
Author
jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle reader for PC
Best e-reader for traveling?

My main reason for wanting an e-reader is for traveling... no more lugging several books in my suitcase!

My criteria are:
1. Battery life (If I'm on a 12+ hour journey, I don't want it dying after 6 hours!)
2. Can I recharge it easily in other countries? Would I need some kind of dual-voltage adaptor if I'm going to a country with different voltage? (let's assume I don't have a laptop with me, so can't charge via USB)
3. Color would be nice... but I'll get B&W if I have to
4. Web browsing would be cool but again, I can live without.

thanks!
Jody
jodykihara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Sounds like you are asking for two different things. If battery life is important then you want e-ink. If you really want it just for reading e-ink is the way to go and there are a bunch of readers out there. I can read 3 full length novels on the Sony without recharging. If you want to browse the web or want color, you will sacrifice battery life. Someone on a different forum said that color e-ink is on it's way. You might want to research the Nook Color. I do not have one but have heard only good things about it.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Kindle has a dual-voltage charger. You would just need a plug adapter for whatever country you are going to. I think a lot of devices these days have the same type of thing, but you should double-check each device you are thinking of buying.

benham is right, the battery life is significantly better on e-ink devices than on LCD or other color devices.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If I could only take one device out of my Sony 950, K3 and iPad, I would take the K3. It has the longest battery life and is the lightest device. A light is still a must, and the cover with integrated light is one of my favorite things about my Kindle. In a pinch it can be used for web browsing, but don't expect a full browser experience.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
jodykihara
Author
jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Oh gosh, I forgot that for traveling, LIGHT would be one of the criteria!
I suspected that color = less battery life, in which case I'll probably go with e-ink.

thank you!!!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The K3 meets all of your requirements, well not the color. I took a K1 with me to Australia and New Zealand and was able to go the entire trip (2 plane flights and a 2 hour layover) without having to worry about the battery. I ran out just as we got to the hotel. The K3 would be even better.

The web browser is handy in a pinch, checking email and the like. The 3G or WiFi makes life easy if you need to buy a book. My Husband left all the paper guide books in the States so I bought the guide books on my Kindle. First I had to find a computer that I could use, download the books to the computer, and transfer over via USB cord. The K3 would be even easier, turn on the wireless, buy the book, and done.

It is insanely light weight. I travel with a head lamp in my bag, never know when the hotel is going to lose power, so I have my light with me.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
jodykihara
Author

Ah, forgot about BUYING books, too!

Is there any difficult buying books when you're in another country?
The reason I ask is that my own books are posted (for sale) on both Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk, and the only way I can check the pricing of the UK ones is to go through a UK proxy server so that Amazon thinks I'm in the UK (doesn't matter what my address for the account is).

If I'm overseas, would I encounter that difficulty? What site do you use to buy books for your K3?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
jodykihara
Author

Hm, is quality control slipping for K3s?
http://www.ereader-zone.com/kindle-c...is-on-its-way/
Old 05-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodykihara View Post
Hm, is quality control slipping for K3s?
http://www.ereader-zone.com/kindle-c...is-on-its-way/
Hard to say going off one anonymous post, it's always possible. They sell millions of them and I'd think if there was a huge widespread quality problem it'd be getting a decent amount of press.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There have been a few people I have known who have had similar problems but most folks have no problems with the first Kindle they receive.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #11
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Certainly a Kindle is a good way to go, when I travel I preferr to use my employer issued blackberry for these reasons, have nothing against Kindle and Kindlers, i am a part time Kindler myself:

1) My berry is physically smaller than most readers making it easier to pack;
2) Typically can go twenty-four hours on a charge depending on how I use it;
3) Comes with twenty different adapters for different outlets, posibility that I could encounter an outlet that I don't have an adapter for is zero;
4) Since it is my berry it does other things for me while on travel as well such as navigating;

Drawback is the tiny screen.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
If I wanted to pack an ereader for an extended trip, I would take my Sony PRS 505. Outside of its cover it is very light and thin, the battery lasts an exceptional length of time, and it handles a good variety of ebook filetypes: LRF (sony's files), epub, txt, rtf, and pdf. Charging can be by its version of power cord, or USB cable. Drawbacks: it is a little sluggish compared to my newer models of ereaders, no wireless capability at all, all books must be downloaded via USB or the SD card. Also, it is a discontinued line, but new and used can still be purchased at places like Amazon.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The best ereader for traveling is the one you have with you. For me, that would depend on the nature of the trip and any of four devices I might bring along - netbook, tablet (Nook Color), ereader (Kindle 3), pocket PC (iPod touch 4).

Since most of my trips are of short duration and primarily for sightseeing, the iPod touch would be my gadget of choice. I prefer traveling as light as possible.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLavigne View Post
If I wanted to pack an ereader for an extended trip, I would take my Sony PRS 505.
I'd go with a Kindle 3.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:08 AM   #15
Panda Rose
Zealot
Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs505, Kindle 3, iPhone4
I am seriously looking at a Samsung Galaxy tab. At the moment I have a Sony 505. The lights are stupidly expensive, but a clip on one is not that good. that Samsung is smaller than an iPad which appeals to me, but the screen is big enough to read from. It is also a good gadget for browsing the internet etc. Either this one or the new blackberry thingy that is coming out soon.
Sorry, a bit garbled, I am in a rush.
Panda Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, e-reader, travel