Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-26-2016, 02:45 AM   #916
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
My first thought was Stranger - I read it for the first time fairly recently - but I didn't remember the cigarette thing at all.
See, I'm the opposite. I read it a decade or two ago, but I remember the cigarette thing vividly. :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's surprising how no SF authors of the 50s and 60s predicted a future in which smoking would be about as socially desirable as leprosy .
Hmm, not really. The more "normal", accepted and socially ingrained something is, the harder it is to actively notice it and to imagine a world without it.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:13 AM   #917
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Star Trek, I thought Roddenberry was well against it.
Certainly in the one two part episode where Mark Twain ends up in the 24th Century for a short while he finds himself bereft of a hand rolled Havana Cigar. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #918
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Help me find that book!

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, sorry if it is not!

So I recently remembered a book that I read a while back ago, and can't remember for the life of me what the title is. I checked my Calibre library, but can't seem to find anything there that rings a bell with me.

So can you help me find that book?

I vaguely remember the plot its been a while, but it was a fantasy about Dragons and their riders. A war had ended and one of the most powerful dragons had died during the war, but his rider survived... flash forward she is a very unhappy dragon rider without a dragon... new dragon/human shows up and it turns out to be the reincarnation of her old dragon.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks a bunch!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #919
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
It's certainly the right forum. Just sorry I can't help with this one.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #920
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post

So I recently remembered a book that I read a while back ago, and can't remember for the life of me what the title is. I checked my Calibre library, but can't seem to find anything there that rings a bell with me.

I vaguely remember the plot its been a while, but it was a fantasy about Dragons and their riders. A war had ended and one of the most powerful dragons had died during the war, but his rider survived... flash forward she is a very unhappy dragon rider without a dragon... new dragon/human shows up and it turns out to be the reincarnation of her old dragon.

Thanks a bunch!

Amy

Offhand probably Anne McCaffrey's dragon books.

Humans or dragons might even commit suicide over the loss of their "partner" (rider or mount)!

Last edited by frahse; 06-09-2016 at 08:28 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #921
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post

Thanks a bunch!

Amy
That sounds a bit like something in the Obsidian series by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory. Were there demons and elves in the one you are looking for?
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #922
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Please help me find this book. I have completely forgotten the title, author name and character names. I had read this book around 30 years back, in print format. It was a spy thriller and murder mystery.

A newlywed couple lands in a trouble during their honeymoon. The husband gets killed by a gang of some people. She decides to take on her revenge, and finds some clues of the killers. In the process of the story she manages to find them and kills them one by one. The matter is simultaneously being detected by the police, and by one clever detective, her plans to kill the last remaining killer come to an end, and she gets arrested. After she accepts the situation and explains the whole case to the detective, he feels sorry for her situation and finally himself shoots the last killer.

Thanks in advance!
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #923
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Steve.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:48 AM   #924
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Steve.
Sorry, Nate, but if your reply is intended for me, it's not clear to me.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #925
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
It sounds like THE BRIDE WORE BLACK by Cornell Woolrich. It's been a long time so I don't remember the ending clearly though.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:12 AM   #926
drjd
The Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
It sounds like THE BRIDE WORE BLACK by Cornell Woolrich. It's been a long time so I don't remember the ending clearly though.
Thank you very much, BenG, I'll get this novel from Amazon, and see if it was the same I read.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #927
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
I saw a series of books from the 80's/90's that centred around one viking character, but were really fantasy rather than historical fiction. There were around 8 in the series, and the author is male. They were re-released a few years ago as special, shiny new and glossily bound hardcovers, with the ebooks done by Gollancz's SF Gateway (not Harry Harrison). Any ideas?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #928
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I saw a series of books from the 80's/90's that centred around one viking character, but were really fantasy rather than historical fiction. There were around 8 in the series, and the author is male. They were re-released a few years ago as special, shiny new and glossily bound hardcovers, with the ebooks done by Gollancz's SF Gateway (not Harry Harrison). Any ideas?
The Winter of the World series by Michael Scott Rohan.
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #929
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
It's not that, but I think similar. Any more ideas?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:53 AM   #930
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
SF Gateway don't publish that many 8-book series. I'd suggest downloading their spreadsheet of the books they publish and having a quick scan through it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths