Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
torchjectory
torchjectory might easily be mistaken for a Texantorchjectory might easily be mistaken for a Texantorchjectory might easily be mistaken for a Texantorchjectory might easily be mistaken for a Texantorchjectory might easily be mistaken for a Texantorchjectory might easily be mistaken for a Texantorchjectory might easily be mistaken for a Texantorchjectory might easily be mistaken for a Texantorchjectory might easily be mistaken for a Texantorchjectory might easily be mistaken for a Texantorchjectory might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: none
kindle paperwhite password

so…

it would seem that the kindle password generation tool doesn't seem to work on paperwhites 5.3.+.

and i discovered this, of course, after i set (in usbnet)
Code:
USE_WIFI="true"
dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

(granted, i did "try" my "generated password" in terminal, not realizing any one would work prior to that toggle.)

so,

what do i have to do to get
Code:
USE_WIFI="true"
back?

so i can then try the auth key route.
(which i'm not entirely clear on, being on os x.)
(ultimately, i'm trying to be able to sftp in via transmit whenever i like.)

been searching the forums here a bunch.

am i hosed?

thanks in advance, friendly people—
torchy
torchjectory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchjectory View Post
so…

it would seem that the kindle password generation tool doesn't seem to work on paperwhites 5.3.+.

and i discovered this, of course, after i set (in usbnet)
Code:
USE_WIFI="true"
dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

(granted, i did "try" my "generated password" in terminal, not realizing any one would work prior to that toggle.)

so,

what do i have to do to get
Code:
USE_WIFI="true"
back?

so i can then try the auth key route.
(which i'm not entirely clear on, being on os x.)
(ultimately, i'm trying to be able to sftp in via transmit whenever i like.)

been searching the forums here a bunch.

am i hosed?

thanks in advance, friendly people—
torchy
Unless I'm totally mistaken, it *should* be enough to reinstall the official Amazon update, which will remove usbnet from the main partition. After the reboot, you should be back in USB drive mode, so you can edit your usbnet configuration before you reinstall usbnet.

PS: Or maybe a factory reset works as well. (Just be aware that it removes the jailbreak bridge).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1
I did the same thing when I was setting up my paperwhite, but if I'm not mistaken, isn't the usbnetworking folder accessible when the Kindle is plugged in via USB?
I am a work so I can't check, but I seem to recall plugging it back in, changing the USE_WIFI setting back and then just setting up the authkey stuff.
Ephemerality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
I did the same thing when I was setting up my paperwhite, but if I'm not mistaken, isn't the usbnetworking folder accessible when the Kindle is plugged in via USB?
I am a work so I can't check, but I seem to recall plugging it back in, changing the USE_WIFI setting back and then just setting up the authkey stuff.
Yep, it normally is. But if you've set the USB network to autostart, that will always turn on before you have a chance to change the configuration.

Oh... which makes me think: It *should* be possible to turn off usbnetwork mode by entering ";un" in the search bar (thus reverting back to USB drive mode). But I'm quite sure that this also failed for me, and the device was stuck in usb mode. ("Quite sure" because I'm just messing around with too many devices at the same time, resetting, re-installing them etc. And almost never actually using one of them to read books ).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Deja vu!
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Yep, it normally is. But if you've set the USB network to autostart, that will always turn on before you have a chance to change the configuration.

Oh... which makes me think: It *should* be possible to turn off usbnetwork mode by entering ";un" in the search bar (thus reverting back to USB drive mode). But I'm quite sure that this also failed for me, and the device was stuck in usb mode. ("Quite sure" because I'm just messing around with too many devices at the same time, resetting, re-installing them etc. And almost never actually using one of them to read books ).
It should always fail when a cable is plugged in -

That makes the kernel module "in use" and the kernel will not remove an "in use" module unless you use the "force unload" option (which isn't enabled in the Kindle kernel builds).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote