Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #226
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here's an idea you may like...

We'll do the multiple choice (3 max) vote hidden for January and then an open multiple choice vote for February and we can see how both go and then decide what's what. But, when we do open voting, I'd like to have the names of who voted for what not to show.
I prefer the idea of an open vote, but I really agree with this part. At the very least, don't show who voted for each item until the end. I think these should be voted on based on the popularity/desire to read the book, not popularity of who has voted on it. We get to see who nominated books and some people will certainly second or third a book based on who nominated it if they have historically had similar tastes, but when it gets to voting I think it should be about the books.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #227
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I say we do a double-blind triple preferential hidden public vote. Then once all the votes are in the Grand Muckity Muck types the book titles into random.org and tells us which book we will be reading.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #228
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I say we do a double-blind triple preferential hidden public vote. Then once all the votes are in the Grand Muckity Muck types the book titles into random.org and tells us which book we will be reading.

BOb
We have a winner!!!

That site is so cool. I'll never have to make a decision again.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #229
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Will it matter if people vote for 3 or for 9? It can be people signalling all choices that they'd be happy to read and discuss. I'm not sure it's that important to keep it to an arbitrary figure. True, some may vote for all selections, but others may only vote for one or two. It would certainly be interesting to see the outcome...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Good points. If choosing a book that the greatest number of people are willing to read is the goal, then multiple voting should work towards that and it doesn't really matter how many books someone votes for. There might be more ownership and incentive to read the book if you voted for it, even if it was not your first or even third choice...
These are both good points.

I think any way we do multiple choice will work well and be better than single choice, though I think non-restricted multiple choice voting may be best for our club because of the above, and also because:

-Simplicity - There's nothing to worry about or keep in mind as one votes besides choosing which books one would like to vote for.

-No Extra Work/No Errors - There is no extra work for Tom, nothing to check on, nothing to adjust if a voter messes up, no chance of errors.

Last edited by sun surfer; 11-16-2012 at 09:24 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #230
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I prefer the idea of an open vote, but I really agree with this part. At the very least, don't show who voted for each item until the end. I think these should be voted on based on the popularity/desire to read the book, not popularity of who has voted on it. We get to see who nominated books and some people will certainly second or third a book based on who nominated it if they have historically had similar tastes, but when it gets to voting I think it should be about the books.
I have a hard time believing that someone would vote or not vote for a book based on who's already voted for it. The complaints about lemming votes seem whiny to me. I like a free-for-all with full information and campaigns. What are people so afraid of?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #231
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I have a hard time believing that someone would vote or not vote for a book based on who's already voted for it. The complaints about lemming votes seem whiny to me. I like a free-for-all with full information and campaigns. What are people so afraid of?
This .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #232
jemc
Quietly Lurking...
jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iDevices, others
Quote:
This! ^^^^

While I generally do not participate, I love reading the nomination, voting and discussion threads. Their value for me is in the exposure to new books I would not normally consider. Unfortunately, the threads have been cluttered with way too many club rules and book category nit-picking which to me have zero value to the discussion of the books themselves. I thought this is supposed to be a book club, not some super secret society with special handshakes and such.
jemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #233
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, even if the vote thread has only one post for the entire post, it will still be a the top as it is stickied.
At the top of the Bookclub child subforum of the Reading Recommendations subforum, sure. That's great if someone unfamiliar with the bookclub happens to click through to the subforum on a whim.

It has no bearing whatsoever on the new posts list, which is what I was talking about. Plenty of people use the new posts search in the forum toolbar to browse the forum and new posts in a thread are what pop a thread up to the top of the list. Having the bookclub voting thread pop up in that list because people are posting to it would help visibility of the bookclub and possibly attract new members.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #234
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemc View Post
This! ^^^^

While I generally do not participate, I love reading the nomination, voting and discussion threads. Their value for me is in the exposure to new books I would not normally consider. Unfortunately, the threads have been cluttered with way too many club rules and book category nit-picking which to me have zero value to the discussion of the books themselves. I thought this is supposed to be a book club, not some super secret society with special handshakes and such.
So, why not do away with categories? Just nominate some books each month and pick one to read? That is actually a great idea. It would eliminate trying to decide if a book is in a category... or if Sci-Fi is separate from Fantasy, etc.

Yes.. the founding members of the book club meant it to be very informal way to get a group of people to discuss the same book after having read it. Matter of fact, the first book was selected without nominations or votes.

But, the secret handshake.... it is COOL and will never go away.

BOb
Old 11-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #235
jemc
Quietly Lurking...
jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iDevices, others
Quote:

BOb
jemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #236
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
So, why not do away with categories? Just nominate some books each month and pick one to read? That is actually a great idea. It would eliminate trying to decide if a book is in a category... or if Sci-Fi is separate from Fantasy, etc.

Yes.. the founding members of the book club meant it to be very informal way to get a group of people to discuss the same book after having read it. Matter of fact, the first book was selected without nominations or votes.

BOb
I'd vote to see that given a chance. Maybe as one of the categories for a month; “the no category category.” My concern for making all months operate that way is that it would turn into selection of the latest flavor of the month book, and that would likely kill my interest in the book club entirely. Not that that would be a tragedy.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #237
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
These are both good points.

I think any way we do multiple choice will work well and be better than single choice, though I think non-restricted multiple choice voting may be best for our club because of the above, and also because:

-Simplicity - There's nothing to worry about or keep in mind as one votes besides choosing which books one would like to vote for.

-No Extra Work/No Errors - There is no extra work for Tom, nothing to check on, nothing to adjust if a voter messes up, no chance of errors.
Yet another
Old 11-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #238
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I'd vote to see that given a chance. Maybe as one of the categories for a month; “the no category category.” My concern for making all months operate that way is that it would turn into selection of the latest flavor of the month book, and that would likely kill my interest in the book club entirely. Not that that would be a tragedy.
We do currently have a free for all category... at least during my tenure we did.

BOb
Old 11-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #239
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
But some have already said they do vote based on who voted and.or how many votes were already cast. So we know this to be what does happen in an open vote.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #240
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I tried to nominate that for January as "Free-for-all".
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote