Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #811
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
I have twenty books in LIT format which are only readable WITH the DRM.
Downloading new copies did NOT improve matters.

Where should I look, or who should I talk to in search of help in sorting these out into proper readability without the DRM?
If you look at the ApprenticeAlf Blog main page (and search for Microsoft Lit) you will find a link to the program that deals with Lit files.

Also, if you have a free moment you might want to verify that the latest ineptpdf version still works for your special case just to verify that the general solution did not break things for you (and others with problems similar to yours). I am sure people there would love to know that.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-12-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typo
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #812
ThePage
Connoisseur
ThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 4, eBookwise & Literati
Will check that later.

I've already successfully used Convertlit on several hundred to several thousand books.

I am however still concerned with the 20 that become unreadable after removal of the DRM.

Last edited by ThePage; 02-12-2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: spelling
ThePage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #813
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
Will check that later.

I've already successfully used Convertlit on several hundred to several thousand books.

I am however still concerned with the 20 that become unreadable after removal of the DRM.
Hi,

Interesting. I know nothing about the lit format. But perhaps those 20 lit ebooks never had DRM to begin with and so removing it, ends up with garbage? Have you tried loading them in some other software that reads no-drm lit to see if they can be read as they are? Just a thought?

Also, perhaps you have two different keys. I think you might want try rerunning the key generation tool after opening one of those books in the reader just in case, these 20 use a different key than all of your other books.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-12-2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: extended
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #814
ThePage
Connoisseur
ThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura about

They are all fully readable with the DRM in place.

I've heard of examples like this have internal errors that mess them up after the DRM's been removed, but don't recall what if anything was discussed for remedies - I didn't expect to end up with so many.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #815
ThePage
Connoisseur

Just thought it best to ask those I was already talking with, before going elsewhere, just in case they might already know what I needed - would silly to find out (much) later, that this was the case!

Last edited by ThePage; 02-12-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 02-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #816
ThePage
Connoisseur

Did NOT, unfortunately find any promising threads, but Calibre may have taken care of at least part of it in the process of adding the books to the catalog.

Went to check a book in detail after finding this out and discovered that one of the more problematic had improved - it only seemed to show the first few pages before being added to Calibre, which might have been due to the title page reoccurring at the point that it stopped showing pages before.

Now it shows the title page twice, and keeps going, so it should be usable, despite looking exceedingly weird. Will check the others and see what I've got.

It could be that converting to ePub will allow fixing most of the difficulties, I HOPE!

Last edited by ThePage; 02-12-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #817
ThePage
Connoisseur

The title page had been used in place of the cover, which I find is common, especially with the BIG NAME publishers. The real title page confused matters by following the photographs, which came immediately after the cover, and before TOC, etc. - which did follow the title page.

It was greatly improved by converting to ePub, however, so we'll see what can be done w/the others.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #818
ThePage
Connoisseur

The other 19 books were improved enough in being added to Calibre to be used w/o conversion, but checking them over thoroughly reminded me that the BIG NAME publishers seem to be thoughtless enough to believe that once you've paid for a book that you will never have any need or desire to view the cover art for the rest of your life, since they generally use only a generic and/or UGLY title page at the beginning of all their eBooks.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #819
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
Will check that later.

I found one LIT eBook that without DRM was not able to be viewed in MS Reader. But Calibre was still able to deal with it and convert it to ePub. Give it a try. Might work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #820
abvmoose
abvmoose began at the beginning.

Device: future Kindle Dx owner
Question a few questions

Hey everyone, I have a few questions.

I recall reading somewhere that adept drm employed some kind of tracking so if you would break the drm and that file would be found somewhere on the internet they had some kind of way of tracking you down. And that versions of ineptpdf up to v8 couldnt remove this but versions above 8 did.
Now that ive read through this thread and look at the revisions history i don't see it. The main difference from v7 and 8 seem to be support for FileOpen drm.
So my question is, have i dreamt this?
Or is there some form of tracking function in Adept drm that inepdtpdf up to 8 can't remove?

I hesitated somewhat before posting this because it might seem a bit stupid since nothing of this is noted in the revisions history but I was so sure I read it somewhere I had to make sure and ask.
ps. (im not planning on putting any files with drm removed up on the internet)

Another question.
I got ineptpdf v7.9 from Alf and he is a trusted source. But how do you guys go about getting versions 8+? Cause as far as I know theres no trusted source to get it from. So youre supposed to google it and get it from sites like pasty and pastebin. Most of us are not programmers and don't understand python syntax. Are you never worried that you might get malicious code getting scripts from those kind of sites?
abvmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #821
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
We can't provide you with detailed assistance with removing DRM, or with obtaining DRM removal tools. Please don't ask.

Thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #822
abvmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We can't provide you with detailed assistance with removing DRM, or with obtaining DRM removal tools. Please don't ask.

Thanks.
Hi Harry and thank for the quick reply.
I don't belive my question was a detailed question of from which site to get a drm removal script from. It was more a question if you get this from trusted sources or not from trusted sources. And if you get it from untrusted sources wheter you are worried about malicious code. Im sorry I didnt make this clearer in the post and Il try to do better in the future.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #823
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would recommend that you ask Apprentice Alf. He's very helpful and knowledgeable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #824
abvmoose

ok thanks
Old 07-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #825
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would recommend that you ask Apprentice Alf. He's very helpful and knowledgeable.
Alf's pretty much absent from his blog these days. But some of us hang out there and help people as much as we can with comments.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote