Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 05:40 AM   #1
Marc Mertens
Mathematician
Marc Mertens began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Digital Reader
Security of the Kindle Store

Hello,

as the proud owner of a new Kindle DX associated with my Amazon Account, I noticed that when I use the Kindle to go to the Kindle Store, no name or password is asked when I order a book. Very convenient but what happens when someone steals my Kindle and starts ordering books using my account.
What is the procedure to avoid that someone is using this to, plunder your visa card associated with your account. In other words I'm looking either to a way that forces the Kindle to ask for a password if buy something in the Kindle or for the steps that you have to take if the kindle is stolen.

Thanks in advance

Marc Mertens
Marc Mertens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
There is a password capability to open it - have you set that? It's on the settings page.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
If your Kindle gets stolen, and isn't PW-protected, the thief can only buy books, nothing else. If (s)he does so, you get almost immediately notified by amazon by mail (thanks for your purchase...)

After you informed amazon, that you didn't buy the book, and that you Kindle was stolen, you get a refund, and your account gets blocked, even more: amazon is able to do and should delete the books on your Kindle, maybe they even "brick" it, so it's of no use any more.
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
Marc Mertens
Mathematician
Marc Mertens began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Digital Reader
Thanks for the replies, I was aware of the password function but I didn't want to specify a password every time I use the device.
So I think the best thing to do is to let Amazon to brick the device.

Thanks
Marc Mertens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:39 AM   #5
piltdown
piltdown began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
This something that has concerned me. If the kindle is stolen and you don't have access to the Internet at the time to inform Amazon etc.the thief could spend a lot of money using your credit card. I expect it would be a right hassle to get the money back. Amazon could only "brick" the kindle if it was connected via wifi or 3g - but if the thief disabled connectivity this can't happen.

The security of purchasing books via the kindle seems a badly flawed system to me. Surely having to enter a usernane and password at the time of purchase is the minimum that should be required.

Personally, due to these concerns, I have disassociated my kindle with my amazon account.
piltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 02:55 AM   #6
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by piltdown View Post
This something that has concerned me. If the kindle is stolen and you don't have access to the Internet at the time to inform Amazon etc.the thief could spend a lot of money using your credit card. I expect it would be a right hassle to get the money back. Amazon could only "brick" the kindle if it was connected via wifi or 3g - but if the thief disabled connectivity this can't happen.

The security of purchasing books via the kindle seems a badly flawed system to me. Surely having to enter a usernane and password at the time of purchase is the minimum that should be required.

Personally, due to these concerns, I have disassociated my kindle with my amazon account.
You just have to make a phone call. Call 866-321-8851 and give them your name and address and they'll shut off access. Since all a thief can purchase are ebooks and you can be refunded immediately, there is no need to panic. A thief can't get your CC# from your Kindle.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:51 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
You can also add some personal data (name, address and email addy) to your settings page so if you lose it (as opposed to it being stolen) and someone finds it you can (in theory) get it back. I don't know of anyone who has had that happen as yet, but it is a feature.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:02 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
You can also add some personal data (name, address and email addy) to your settings page so if you lose it (as opposed to it being stolen) and someone finds it you can (in theory) get it back. I don't know of anyone who has had that happen as yet, but it is a feature.
We have had several reports of lost Kindles being returned. Most people are fundamentally honest, I think.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:15 AM   #9
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We have had several reports of lost Kindles being returned. Most people are fundamentally honest, I think.
Must be. Otherwise there wouldn't be a market for mystery and crime fiction where the bad get caught
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:24 AM   #10
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Must be. Otherwise there wouldn't be a market for mystery and crime fiction where the bad get caught
.. or the bad don't get caught.
Hmmm, how many of those have we read, though?
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:27 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If it was posted in a thread that they had had it returned I must have missed it. Something that is certainly believable with how many threads there are on this board. lol. I agree with you Harry that most people are fairly honest about things like returning lost property. Alas, it's the bad eggs that get the most publicity usually in the news. Like the guy who steals someone's cell phone or runs off with the funds that someone was raising to help someone in need of medical attention but who doesn't have the financial means to cover it. Course a lot of the dishonest ones are stupid in one way or another too which is how they get caught so I guess it balances out in most cases.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #12
Bratzzo
Addict
Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by piltdown View Post
and if the thief disabled connectivity, he can't purchase anything!
So, if he wants to buy books, he has to enable the connectivity. In this case, amazon can brick the kindle.

Bratzzo
Bratzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Convenience almost always comes at the expense of something else... and in this case, it's balanced against the risk that the person who steals your Kindle turns out to be an avid reader who will subsequently rack up thousands of dollars of ebook purchases on your credit card before you can report it stolen.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
SamTCat
SamTCat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Convenience almost always comes at the expense of something else... and in this case, it's balanced against the risk that the person who steals your Kindle turns out to be an avid reader who will subsequently rack up thousands of dollars of ebook purchases on your credit card before you can report it stolen.
I don't associate a credit card with my Kindle account. I just buy myself gift cards so I run a small, positive balance for impulse purchases. If my Kindle is ever stolen, I won't be out much even if Amazon can't (or won't) stop the thief.
SamTCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I don't associate a credit card with my Kindle account. I just buy myself gift cards so I run a small, positive balance for impulse purchases. If my Kindle is ever stolen, I won't be out much even if Amazon can't (or won't) stop the thief.
That's a smart, reasonable solution.

I don't think a thief is even going to bother buying ebooks, anyway. They're just going to do a factory reset so they can pawn the Kindle off on some unsuspecting rube before Amazon blacklists it.

Now an "innocent, lookey what I found" kind of person might accidentally stumble their way through a book purchase while checking it out.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote