Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Bidirectional text in XHTML/CSS

Can anyone cast some light on this issue? I want to show a short piece of Hebrew (right-to-left) text in an otherwise left-to-right text, and I'm not sure how the CSS properties "direction" and "unicode-bidi" interact, especially with relation to "weak" characters (punctuation).

Consider the following test:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:ops="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops" xml:lang="es">
<head>
  <title>Bidirectional test</title>
<style type="text/css">
body { font-size: 300%; }
.hebrew1 { unicode-bidi: embed; }
.hebrew2 { unicode-bidi: bidi-override; }
.hebrew3 { direction: rtl; unicode-bidi: embed; }
.hebrew4 { direction: rtl; unicode-bidi: bidi-override; }
}
</style>
</head>
<body>

<p>No direction, embed<br/>
<span class="hebrew1">שיר השירים</span>[29]</p>

<p>No direction, bidi-override<br/>
<span class="hebrew2">שיר השירים</span>[29]</p>

<p>RTL, embed<br/>
<span class="hebrew3">שיר השירים</span>[29]</p>

<p>RTL, bidi-override<br/>
<span class="hebrew4">שיר השירים</span>[29]</p>

</body>
</html>
In Opera 10, only the hebrew1 class (first sample) produces the right display: the "mem" Hebrew letter (the square-like one) on the left, and "[29]" unbroken on the right. I don't know if this is the correct behaviour or if other systems (especially ePUB readers) would do the same.

I gather that I don't need to suply a "direction" property, because the Hebrew characters already have an implicit directionality, and I shoud use "embed" to have the direction of the Hebrew words not affect the outside, but I don't know why specifying a direction (in hebrew3 and hebrew4) is breaking things so badly (se attached screenshot)

Ideas?

EDIT: In the source, I actually use numeric codes for the Hebrew characters, like this (remove spaces between & and #):

& #1513;& #1497;& #1512; & #1492;& #1513;& #1497;& #1512;& #1497;& #1501
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test.png
Views:	282
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	45846  
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess it's enough to use the left-to-right mark (& #8206;) after the Hebrew text, to force the direction and bypass the Unicode bidi algorithm, like this:

& #1513;& #1497;& #1512; & #1492;& #1513;& #1497;& #1512;& #1497;& #1501;& #8206;(29)

It seems the "direction" and "unicode-bidi" CSS properties are not really needed.
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 03:23 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If this is only a fragment of Hebrew in an otherwise Western European text, it's probably more portable to do it as a graphic image. I do that a lot with books that have short Greek quotes in them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Grrr... Opera, Firefox and Prince all render the Hebrew text fine now... but the ADE implementation on my Gen3 (and I guess all ADE implementations around) fails:

a) I does not obey the implicit directionality of the Unicode characters, so the Hebrew is rendered left-to-right. Apparently this was recognized 2.5 years ago, but it's still not fixed.

b) It does not recognize :lang(xx) selectors, so I have to add classes on top of it.

(I prefer to avoid the graphic image if possible, HarryT.)